It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Century Gothic] [/font]

LET ME JUST SAY THIS FIRST. ON MAY 20TH, THANKS TO THE AA/NA PROGRAM, THE FELLOWSHIP OF PEOPLE LIKE US, AND A VERY LOVING GOD. I WILL HAVE TWO YEARS SOBER. THAT BEING SAID, I AM JUST NOW STARTING MY SUB TREATMENT. I HAVE A LOT OF HEALTH ISSUES AND BASICALLY STARTED USING AND DRINKING AS A WAY TO HELP CHRONIC PAIN BROUGHT ON BY FIBROMYALGIA. DURING THE LAST TWO YEARS I HAVE BEEN SOBER BUT UNABLE TO HOLD A JOB. SOBER BUT UNABLE TO GET OUT OF BED SOME DAYS. SOBER BUT BASICALLY A CRANKY BITCH. IS THAT WHAT SOBRIETY IS SUPPOSED TO BE?? NOT FOR ME!! AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH I SEE THAT SUB HELPS FOR CHRONIC PAIN AND IT IS CURRENTLY BEING CONSIDERED AS A TREATMENT OPTION FOR FIBROMYALGIA. I ALSO HAVE NARCOLEPSY AND THE SUB SEEMS TO HELP WITH ENERGY.. I AM 80% PAIN FREE AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO BLAST MY SOBRIETY FOR IT. RECENTLY I HAVE HAD TWO MAJOR SURGERIES SO I HAVE HAD TO BE ON OPIATES FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS OFF AND ON. I TOOK THEM AS PRESCRIBED BUT MY SUBOXONE DOC STILL THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH WITHDRAWALS. WHEN I MENTIONED TO HIM HE SHOULD TRY SUBOXONE ON MY FIBRO HE IS ALL FOR IT. TOOK MY FIRST STRIP TONIGHT. NOW GRANTED I WAS ON SUBS ABOUT FIVE YEARS AGO AND I ABUSED THE HECK OUT OF THEM. THE MIRACLE ABOUT SOBRIETY IS I DON'T HAVE A DESIRE TO GET HIGH ANYMORE, SO I CAN HAVE MOST MEDICATION WITHIN REACH AND LIVE IN A DRINKING HOUSE AND I DON'T CARE. THIS IS PROOF SUB HAS OTHER POTENTIAL WAYS IT CAN HELP. OH ALSO, WHEN I TOOK SUB BEFORE IT WASNT FOR OPIATE ABUSE IT WAS FOR ALCOHOL AND BENZOS. SUB KEEPS ME FROM WANTING ANYTHING. WHAT A MIRACLE FOR SOMEONE NEWLY SOBER. I KNOW IT TAKES US A MINUTE TO GET RID OF THE OBSESSION. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE IN THE PROGRAM ARE AGAINST SUB TREATMENT AND DEFINETELY ME USING IT AT 2 YEARS SOBER BUT THEY CAN KISS MY WHITE BUTT. I HAVE STRUGGLED WITH CONSTANT AGONY FOR 10 YEARS AND NOW I DON'T HAVE TO AND I CAN BE SAFE ABOUT IT WHILE PROTECTING MY SOBRIETY

Post subject: Whatever is Necessary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

Do what you need to do to feel better. I don't think anyone here will judge you for using it 2 years later for chronic pain. And I do understand you using it to assist in alcohol sobriety. Way back in the day the medical field suggested using Morphine for an alcoholism cure, so you are not too far off. Obviously that didn't last very long.

Do what you need to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds good to me. If sobriety equals misery, then I would choose being on subs too. I don't want to be sober just for the sake of being able to say, "hey, I'm sober". What good is that if you are not happy and in constant pain?

It is your choice/life/body, so you have every right to the decision that you have made to be on subs sister!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i say subs are good for all kinds of pain and esp- alcoholism and with a fair copay of not being in life fullness" like people
not on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

sobersister, I fully support you doing what you need to improve your quality of life. I'm in a similar situation, having gotten hooked on oxycodone to treat pain and trying to use Suboxone for a quick taper but realizing I'd be better off on maintenance. I know it's not ideal to still be dependent on a drug, but I know how bad I felt before I started (oxy) and compare that to how I feel now, and it's a no-brainer. I wish you the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi SoberSister, we have alot in common! I too have Fibromyalgia which brought me to addictions of pain meds. I used what ever I could to stop pain. Day after day, it gets to you. Suboxone took me out of the cycle, I don't feel like a crazy person anymore, it gave me back my life, and I never run out by the end of the month!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Armeywife and welcome to the forum. Like you, I have fibro (and other conditions) that led me to going on opiates to control my pain. It turned into a full blown addiction that lasted years before I was put on suboxone. That was 3.5 years ago. For me, sub does not erase my pain like it sounds like it does for you, but it makes it manageable on a day to day basis. And I can easily say that sub probably kept me from dying from my addiction.

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around and enjoy the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.