It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

If you're a Benzo User, has Suboxone Altered your Cravings?
Yes, without a question 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Maybe a little 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
No, not at all 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
I just started using Benzos to sleep only 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all.. I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for quite some time reading and learning more and more about suboxone as I planned my ending of Oxycodone abuse and began my taper with it.

This will be my second time taking sub. in as many years. A huge relapse last time ended a quick-stint of self medicated treatment.

About the Subject at hand... I am a 22 year xanax user that started using it at age 19-20 years of age. Ya'll think opiates are hard to shake? Don't ever, ever take xanax longer than 3 months. You'll have NO fun with this and you can die from it going un-treated and without in-house detox.

In the first years, I took only .5 mg. in the evenings. After a while, I took another .5 mg. in the mornings, then in the after noons, then mid-day. Eventually, this led to higher doses at the same intervals as I peaked out at the age of 22 years old (18 years ago). During my peak, I took over 7 mg. of Xanax a day from age 22 to nearly age 30. The doctors had to maintain the dose or I would go ape-Sh^%*!

At any rate, I was aware of this addiction and wanted to change it.... It took me around ten years to taper rom 7 mg. down to 2 mg total per day, which is where I am now.

When I started suboxone this time (5-days ago), something incredible happened.... By 2 PM the first day, I relaized I had not taken a Xanax. My dose is normally .5 mg. 4 times daily... So, by 2 PM I would have normally been taking my second dose for the day.

Now, for those who dont know this about a 22 year xanax user.... You can't just say "oh this is a great thing, I will just quit". That could kill you without a question. And, it just might. Anyhow, in relaizing this ZERO craving after my 8 mg. suboxone dose, I knew I had better at least take .25 mg. or run the risk of a seizure. You can't just starve your brain from Xanax like many other drugs.

I took the crumb and by 11 PM that night, it hit me again.... I had not taken my xanax again. TWICE! So, again... I took another .25 mg and went to bed.

A very long story short, I am on day 5 of suboxone and have quickly tapered my xanax dose from 2 mg per day, to one mg per day. You can't just stop taking it...or I would. I know for a fact, mentally, I could do it right now. Suboxone should seriously be looked at for Xanax/Alprazolam WD symptoms. It takes away all the cravings for me as a Xanax addict.

In contrast, I have read on this forum that some of you started taking Xanax and other benzos while on subs to help you sleep.... I can tell you as a poster child for Xanax abuse and use for over 20 years... Taking Xanax in any dose for more than a few weeks is no good. You will NEVER forget how good you felt taking Xanax and neither will your brain and your body, even when it's used for a sleep aid.

For over 20 years, that Xanax bottle doesn't get out my sight. Between that and opiates, I was a prisoner in my own body and mind. I spent over 30 thousand dollars just this summer on Oxycodone. Never snorted or shot up, only taking them orally at a street price of 20 dollars each for 30 mg. I was taking up to 10 per day and sometimes more.

What started off as taking a few hydros on the weekends now and then, turned into the misery I am now dealing with.... Thanks to Suboxone, there is hope. I am done with opiates... I have no choice, no options, no more money no more stuff to sell.. I want to keep what I have left and I intend to fight for it.

Anyhow, thats my Xanax story while taking suboxone... I look forward to everyday! :-) May god bless all of you....

Peace.. Out, from the beautiful GA Coast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again, salty. I welcomed you first in your introduction thread and now I see you've given more info here. I'm glad to hear you've gotten back on suboxone to deal with your most recent relapse. I hope it works out for you.

I also wanted to thank you for sharing your story about your long term xanax addiction. As I said in my other post, I was also hooked on xanax - over 6 mg a day and I abused that amount/took more. With me, I was on it for about 4 or so years and when my doctor stopped raising my dose I ended up in xanax withdrawal even tho I was still on it (interdose withdrawal is what it's called, I believe?). Anyway, I ended up hospitalized when I started suboxone and they d/c'd ALL of my meds, including ALL of my xanax -cold turkey. Lucky for me the only action they took was to put me on phenobarbital and that did manage to keep me seizure free and alive. I still can't believe I survived that. Sorry to digress like that...

I think you're doing a terrific job tapering down the xanax - keep it up. And although I've never heard of suboxone helping one's cravings for benzos, if it helps you, then GREAT!

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Hat.... I appreciate the comments.

Thats a strong move going cold turkey off Xanax.. Man, Congrats on that! Thats definitely a pheno-barb coma to deal with that and I am glad you made it through all of it. Medical detox is not the choice of most people, but it worked out that you had to do it.... I guess thats good in a way, though. I wish someone had thrown me into the hospital and made me do that my friend.... I would shake their hand for it later.

This is all new to me as well... But, there is no mistaking it. Subs are working on the Xanax wd symptoms with a vengeance and I feel friggin great! This is day 5 and I woke up on time to see the sunrise I have been missing for 2 years. I hated missing my mornings and sleeping until 10-11 AM because I needed the sleep for 9-10 hours because of the opiates.

Great new life!! There is no looking back for me. 8) Once your mind is made up, I feel like anything is within reach and this is no exception IMO. My mind is 110% made up to stop using opiates and suboxone will be short term. I am done. For me, I think about the money I have blown with nothing to show for it and the position that has put me in :evil: , and this is an absolute intervention and "wake up" slap in the face for me. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Maybe A Little...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi, saltyII. And, welcome to this wonderful forum.
(BTW, thanks for making breaks in your posts- it is so MUCH
easier to read than a BOT (Block Of Text!)

Anyway, I voted in your poll- I voted for "Maybe A Little."
To clarify my response, I still do have anxiety on subs;
I am prescribed .25 mg of Klonopin for the anxiety.
And, I find that I can (and am allowed to) skip doses of the
K-pin without too much trouble.

BTW, I DO find that subs do, indeed, help my severe depression-
in fact, my sub Dr. had noticed it and pointed that out even before I did.

I hope this makes sense- I took my 100 mgs of Trazodone last night to sleep,
and can still feel its effects: am still a bit groggy, even after coffee...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep, makes plenty of sense to me.

I wouldn't doubt one bit that it erased some depression. Seems like theres no question that it does it's job and enhances mood, stamina and other quirly things as well. It is strange that it's helping me kick Xanax. But it is and I am thankful. This only the 6th day I think.... And I have dropped from 2 mg of Xanax per day, to .75. Thats incredible.... The last shrinking to doses below this level are extremely difficult without some medical assistance... I do no have that, so I must be VERY careful.

Again, in contrast to my personal discovery about Benzos and Suboxone that works for me, I see more and more posts as I dig deeper into this forum about people being prescribed to Benzos while in detox.

I know it makes you more comfortable, but just after a short time use of Xanax, you're going to have to deal with withdraw, sometimes extremely severe depending on dosage and frequency. My 20+ years on Xanax tells me to stay far away from it and seek clonidine during detox if possible unless there are no other options.

With all that being said... I would still do whatever it took to get off Opiates. If I need to turn back up the Xanax, I will!!! I really don't care what it is, I will personally do what ever it takes to put this mess behind me and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Salty,your Xanax story is similiar to mine as far as dose escaltion but I went from 1mg to 3-4mg over the course of 6 mo. Started Sub 8 days ago and the first day I was afraid to take it so I took .50 to sleep.It knocked me out where it never really affected me like that once my body got used to it.Long story short I titrated down from an avg of 3mg to last night only taking .25 and I slept all night.I really think the Sub has helped with my Xanax craving or that I am so preoccupied with the Sub and finding the right dose that I've forgotten about it.And I only took it to fend off any potential seizure.Tonight I will go without and see what happens but its definitely helped.In the 6 months I probably only went 2-3 days without,not consecutive.I was so driven to have it after a day without that,like opiates,I found some somewhere.Im hoping to be free from them as well.Now I look back and wonder why I took so many anyway but for me I think it was just cross addiction.When I didnt have opiates I used more xanax,then I was physically hooked.Just another addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was a daily drinker, at least two beers a day, usually more. Alcohol is pretty similar to benzos, and I can say that YES, it has really really helped my cravings. However, I also have to point out that all of my using was part of a larger chain/pattern. So when I knocked out one link, it made the rest much easier to handle. I wasn't a "binge drinker", I was a "maintenance drinker", I did not like getting drunk. I just convinced myself I had to have a few beers to go to sleep. Especially when coming off of using opiates for two or three weeks (my use was very cyclical).

Its still very difficult for me to sleep, but I can tell you the alcohol wasn't helping for years, but I kept doing it.