It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I normally do not get headaches from suboxone, however recently I have been getting headaches regardless of the amount I take. I normally only take 2 mg a day sometimes 3. I was taking 4 mg until I decided to cut down a bit. These headaches are horrible, always in my right temple. They are the typeof headache that makes you nauseous, I always feel like puking and at titimes I even start gagging and make a run for the bathroom then it just stops. I get these headaches daily about 2 hours after dosing. This has happened to me once before but it stopped after I quit taking Tylenol PM to sleep every night (I had quit smoking pot so I had trouble sleeping.) what's weird about this time is they STARTED after I QUIT taking nyquil at night to sleep (which I had switched to because it didn't cause the headaches.) I don't understand these headaches at all. Yea I do swallow the saliva but I have read that spitting it out helps due to a naloxone sensitivity, but I've always swallowed the saliva :/. I'm going to try spitting it out tomorrow. I've also read I cod be dehydrated so I'm going to start drinking more water. Does anyone have any idea why this would just start out of no where? I would make an attempt to quit taking the suboxone but I feel like complete death when I don't take it. I'm completely fatigued and unmotivated. Subutex is not an option because my Dr is a douches and won't even listen to me he just tells me to take ibuprofen no matter how many timesI tell him it doesnt help at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Google tylenol PM withdrawal and NyQuil withdrawal. Plenty of complaints of migraines/ headaches lasting days on end. The fact that you're nauseous makes me think migraine. It's always good to drink plenty of water, but something tells me it's from the other meds.

(I always try and apply Occam's Razor to these types of questions.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm fine when I wake up though, the headache only kicks in a couple hours after dosing my suboxone.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh yeah, if you have trouble sleeping and need to take something, try Unisom. It doesn't have all the extra cold/cough medicine crap nor the acetaminophen. Less chance of rebound headaches.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope you're right though and this goes away soon. Should I continue to take nyquil in the evenings and ween down or just suck it up and ride it out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know why you're getting them two hours after dosing. When do you normally dose? If you dose in the morning, and are getting the headaches a couple hours after waking, that would sound about right to me. The timing/ vs dosing could be a coincidence.

All I can tell you is that if you had a naloxone sensitivity, it would have been evident from the get-go. My guess is that it's caused by something else you're taking, or not doing, or that you're all of a sudden prone to migraine headaches now. But, if you're certain it's suboxone, you can start weaning and see if that helps.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry, we're cross posting.

I guess weaning down couldn't hurt..? Might be worth a try. Try to get off it completely though, k? There are better options out there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just hope this goes away soon. I can't deal with these headaches much longer, I'm miserable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Try holding off on your morning sub dose one morning and see whether headache comes on. Will be worth the slight wd to try and figure out what is happening or responsible. If headache still comes with no new sub then may be another cause.
When i first started 4 mg sub i had headaches for almost 2 weeks. Nothing would shift it. Then it settled. Weird to start up after a while though.
Experiment. Bring things in and out and see when they happen.
Headaches are an absolute bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been taking 4 mg for close to a year now. I just recently switched to 2-3mg a day but I've taken smaller amounts before and it never bothered me. I've been feeling a little better today or so I thought but then the headache returned and the nausea. The only other medicine I've been taking for the last week is my anti-depressants, Paxil, which I have always taken since long before suboxone. It's weird though the feeling seems to let up completely when I eat then return very quickly like within 10 minutes after Eatting. I have been smoking 1/4th the amount of cigarettes I usually do but that's only because of the headaches, the cigarettes seem to make it worse. I wish I could explain the headache better, it's not just a normal headache it's like my a draining headache my mind feels weak. Earlier I thought I was going to be okay but I was feeling horribly anxious too it was very weird. I just want to figure this out and be done with it. I will try to wait tomorrow to see if the headache comes anyway though I doubt it. Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What you're describing kind of sounds like a cluster headache. Google it and see if anything rings a bell. I recently saw a program which is what made me think of it.

I hope you figure it out, whatever it is!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been awake about 4 hours today and haven't taken my suboxone but I do indeed have the headache! So apparently it's not the suboxone, very weird. I still don't understand why I'm fine when I wake up and it comes on a few hours later :/. I don't think it's cluster headaches cause I looked it up and it's not extremely painful it's just a constant dull pain in my right temple.

Suboxone does seem to make the headache worse than it is right now though. I'm assuming it potentiates it. I wish I had some type of diagnosis as to what this is! I been wondering if I'm sick in some way, I kept my son a week ago and he was sick, that was also the last night I took any nyquil though. The headaches started 2 days later or so. I sometimes feel sick, other times I don't. It's all very confusing.

Oh ya here's something weird... For whatever reason since I've been getting these headaches my sex drive is wayyyy up. My... Penis sensitivity seems higher too... Not sure what kind of sense that makes. Before this I had virtually no sex drive and had a lot of trouble reaching ejaculations...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm hoping it's just rebound headaches from acetaminophen that's the only think that connects with when this last happened but it was also different. Last time I was taking Tylenol PM at night then when I took my suboxone and/or smoked cigarettes the day after I'd get this headache. The difference this time is this started after quitting nyquil. Keep in mind I was taking rather large amounts of nyquil every night. Around 2.5 of the cups that comes on the bottle. This is about 1300-1600mg acetaminophen at one time every night for over a month. A bottle of nyquil lasted me about 3-3.5 days which I know is insane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm wanting to take a goody powder and see if the headache eases since it's got its Tylenol fix but at the same time I want to get through this, not prolong it. Sorry I'm spamming lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Overall today's headache was way less intense then the other days and there was virtually no nausea. Hope it keeps easing like this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I suffered from migraines for about 20 years. Everything you're describing screams migraine to me. Only in one temple, nausea, dull pain, easing up while eating or sleeping, are all classic migraine symptoms. I suffered for many years with migraines that would last about 4 days at a time. Doctors tried many different types of meds on me but nothing would work. Finally they came out with a new medication called Imitrex. Finally after suffering for so long, I was able to get some relief! Imitrex worked wonders for me! If all else fails for you, I recommend giving it a shot. Hope it gets better for you soon. To me, there's almost nothing worse than a headache. Especially one that goes on for days! Good luck to you.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tim,

You really need to go see your doctor about this. It sounds like there is definitely something else going on. Make sure you mention the past issues with rebound headaches from tylenol and your recent discontinuing of nyquil. I would also mention the sex drive changes, there's no way of knowing how that could be connected but i would definitely mention it.

Please go see a doctor. This issue is really out of our level of experience.

I hope you figure it out soon!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't wanna speak to soon and I'm knocking on wood, but, my fiance and I were reading about headaches in general and they said almost all headaches start in the neck. She gave me a good neck massage and wow, headache is gone almost completely. When I started thinking about it, it made sense. When my fiance and I cuddle on the couch my neck is usually turned it a odd way, I been playing a lot more phone games lately so my neck is constantly turned in a non relaxed position. On top of this one night last week I feel asleep on the couch sitting up head straight back, mouth open, the whole nine yards. Why would my headache ease when I'm asleep? My neck is relaxed!

To any other headache sufferers try to massage your neck and see if that helps. I also read about submerging one hand in hot water and 1 hand in cold water. Supposed to take the blood out of your head and help a lot. Also rubbing your "soft spot" on your head in circular motions with slight pressure is supposed to help. It's the spot towards the front of your head right down the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope that's the case, Tim! Keep us posted and let us know how you do.. at the very least, it's a great excuse to get some neck rubs in. In fact, I think I'll tell my husband that have a headache and need an emergency massage. :D

On a serious note, this whole thread just reminded me of my co-worker from my last company. She had been complaining of headaches for a week. It was assumed that she was getting migraines, and so she carried on.. until they started waking her up at night. On a Sunday, at the end of the week that the headaches started, she told her husband they needed to go to the ER. She knew something wasn't right. They did scans and found a brain tumor, she was scheduled for surgery late that night and into the morning. I'll never forget going to work that monday and hearing that she was in brain surgery. None of us could believe it. Anyway, the tumor was benign, and was removed safely. All is well with that co-worker now, it's like it never happened. She was about 29 at the time.. definitely wasn't expected.

I almost didn't post this story as i didn't want to freak you out, but I think the clear difference was that her headaches were excruciating. I'm hoping that yours are just tension headaches and can be treated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do believe they were tension headaches, I have been fine all day today! A couple spells of pain for a few minutes but I feel great. I took 4mg of suboxone today too and feel fine! That story hits home, my cousin has been diagnosed with late stage brain cancer, she is going for a gamma knife surgery I think it's called tomorrow.