It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't put myself into one mood disorder box. I am not a psychologist either. But different people have had different impressions about me, no doubt because the degree information that I disclose about myself is dependent upon trust, and I have never admitted the most shameful aspects of my thoughts, moods and behavior to anyone: not my parents, not my siblings, not my wife, nobody. Despite this, at different stages of my life, I have left impressions of dysthymia, major depression, anxiety, schizoid personality traits, schizoaffective, dissociative, schizophrenic, borderline, ptsd, and lastly sociopathic traits. Personally, I think I am ADD, majorly depressed, anxious and dissociative.

I will say this. I hurt my lower back working hard, started taking hydrocodone, and started depending upon hydrocodone in order to work hard (it warmed me up and helped me to push that much harder toward production), and depression set in hard. I graduated from hydrocodone to oxycodone. Exrays and MRI's wouldn't reveal what was causing my pain. I was spending a lot of money on exrays and injections and chiropractors, and kept increasing the dose of oxycodone. I live in a place that is dark most of the year so it is depressing and I got antidepressants, trying to only take them in the winter because I didn't like the side effects. But I found I needed them all year round.

There was a difference in my behavior and impulsivity as I changed opioids. Oxycodone made me mean and extremely impulsive. I did things on oxycodone I would never otherwise contemplate. I found that I was more severely dissociative, depressed, angry and impulsive. Finally, to add to that, I discovered that I had cancer. I had surgery, took more oxycodone, and then had to begin radiation therapy. 5 days a week, 4 weeks. I was in bad shape. I actually thought they didn't get all the cancer and that I was dying, because I was literally that lethargic and down. I had moved, and had a hard time getting oxycodone. It actually crossed my mind to pull an armed robbery on a pharmacy and take every opioid they had. Because opes were the only thing that lent me the ability to function at all, which includes working to support myself. That is when I started suboxone as an alternative to oxycodone. The very moment that suboxone entered my body, I rose from the floor where I felt almost dead, and felt like doing jumping jacks!

Suboxone wasn't like taking oxycodone where the more I took the more I got depressed. Suboxone helped with everything. Energy. Mood. Anxiety. Blood pressure. Pain. But what I would like to emphasize the most is how suboxone dramatically reduced my impulsivity. Impulsive behavior and impulsive spending went down a lot. And for me, since I am my own worst enemy, that is important.

My doctor told me that there are studies being made about the benefits of naloxone (the anti-opiate ingredient of suboxone) on depression. I have also seen people on the web referring to studies which indicated that naloxone has helped people with borderline personality traits. Whether it is naloxone, or bupe, or both, suboxone is incredible. It's a miracle drug IMO.

I after trying numerous anti-depressants, I settled upon Wellbutrin, and found that it helped me with attention deficits and dissociative issues too. Pain having been reduced to episodes, I figured it's time to part with the miracle drug and see whether I can make function the way I did before I started taking opiates.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 pm 

Great story! I'm so glad that Suboxone has helped you recover from some bad addictive behaviors.

I really doubt the naloxone had anything to do with it. There is only a very small amount in it. Buprenorphine is just one of those good feeling drugs. I have felt normal ever since beginning my treatment in '11.

If I didn't say it earlier, Welcome to the Forum!

rule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

For what it's worth, oxys were like "instant asshole" pills - I got angry, very depressed (to include suicidal ideation) and slightly dissociative. It was so bad I took the entire month's worth of pills back to my doc and told her to get rid them for me and to prescribe something else. Norco worked, for me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The buprenorphine mood effects may be from antagonist actions at kappa or delta opioid receptors, or perhaps from other effects. The Wikipedia article about buprenorphine has links to a few articles about buprenorphine treatment of depression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine

Many people confuse naloxone and naltrexone. They both do the same thing-- antagonize mu opioid receptors-- but naloxone, the drug in Suboxone-related medications, is very poorly absorbed orally, and must be injected to be active. It also has a relatively short halflife. Naltrexone is orally active, and is indicated for treatment of opioid and alcohol dependence. It is used off-label for other things-- such as reducing self-injurious behavior (e.g. cutting).

Alkermes is working on an antidepressant drug that contains buprenorphine.