It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Im new here and was hoping for some advice. I have been addicted to vicodin on and off for 6 yrs. These past few years it has gotten bad. I feel so depressed. The pills no longer make me feel good but they are all I think about and feel I need them to function. I made an appointment with a suboxone dr. Im wondering if it will really help. Im scared to start something else that would be hard to get off of also. I hate needing a substance to function and I feel so confused. I dont even know what it would feel like to be sober and if I would be happier. Do any of you have advice about suboxone?? Like if it helps or if im better off trying to just stop the vicodin somehow myself. I work full time and cant take time off work. I have 2 children. I probably take about 9mg per day. I hate myself for doing this to myself..... i just want to be happy and get better but dont know how. And i dont think i am strong enough.... Thanks for your advice!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

oops meant 90mg per day....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi JD,

Yes, Suboxone helps tremendously with Vicodin addiction. But, if you CAN quit them on your own then that would be much better for you. Suboxone is really meant for the people who CAN'T quit taking opiates without some kind of help. It will take away your physical withdrawal symptoms, and usually takes away the cravings for drugs. However, it isn't a walk in the park to quit, so just go into it knowing that it will be a bit of a struggle when it's time to quit. If you get a good doctor that will work with you on a taper schedule you will be fine. Since your tolerance seems to be fairly low I would highly recommend taking a low dose of Suboxone, 8mg or less. Really the least you can take that makes your WD go away the better, especially if you plan on tapering at some point. Alot of doctors will start patients out on crazy high doses of the medication and it just isn't necessary, it will only raise your tolerance to opiates and make it that much more difficult to come off later on.

Despite all the things I mentioned, being in a suboxone program is MUCH better than being in active addiction. When you get to the point that you are miserable and your search for pills or pre-occupation with them takes over your life you know it's time to quit. It can be a miserable existence. Not to mention the danger of pumping all that acetaminophen into your system daily. Suboxone really minimizes the risks to your health if taken properly, and it's not as tempting to mis-use suboxone as it is full agonist opiates. You will feel comfortable, but after the first few days there will be no high from it. It gives you a fighting chance to get your head screwed on straight before you attempt to live in 100% abstinence.

Good luck!

-Q

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First off, welcome! I know (as do so many on here) just what it is like to be addicted to pills. And talking to a sub dr is a great first step in getting clean. Sub will take away your cravings and help so that you don't feel withdrawals. I am assuming that you have tried to quit via tapering or limiting yourself (almost impossible). The thing with Sub is that it stops that whole cycle of thinking about pills all day and allows you to work on your recovery. Then, when you are good and ready, you can taper off of the Sub. I don't personally plan to do that anytime soon, as I consider those prescribed Suboxone clean (and i finally feel like a normal human being again), but there are lots of people here who could advise you and offer insight when that time comes. Good luck with everything, JD! The madness is almost over!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u guys so much. In the past I was able to quit. For whatever reason this time it's different. I'm so sick of pills running my life but I'm so scared to live without them. I am so scared of the physical withdrawal because I have done it before when my addiction wasn't nearly as bad. How long does it take on suboxone to start feeling normal?? Does it help the depression and anxiety when withdrawing?? I'm so used to taking pills to feel the high- but I don't want my life to be like this forever. If you don't crave pills when on suboxone is it easier to taper and quit?? I can't taper on Vicodin. I have tried n I feel sick then end up taking way more. The whole cycle is making me miserable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jd, the suboxone will make you feel better within an hour of taking it. Not just better, back to normal. It's amazing.

It's normal to worry about this, but I can't stress enough that it will work!

As for tapering...I don't know exactly why, but tapering suboxone (IMO) is easier than vicodin. I think it has something to do with the length of time it stays in your system. And probably has ALOT to do with the fact that you have spent time being stable on suboxone and worked on recovery before tapering. It's hard work, and not easy, but in my opinion easier than stopping pills. I COULDN'T stop pills. But I'm currently tapering off suboxone, gone from 8mg per day to 1/2 mg per day. I started treatment in March 2012. That's a big drop, and I'm really close to being off. So, that tells me it's possible.

If you take your recovery seriously during your time in the program you will do well. I know for certain I would have lost my family and probably my health if I hadn't gotten started when I did. Don't let your fear of the unknown drive you to wait longer than necessary. You will have a fresh start and feel normal again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone treatment is great when done in the right way.

See. You are here. Posting about your problems with pills. This is what makes me want to tell you that suboxone is your best option. Obviously you can't stop taking pills. What addicts can? ;-) so think of tapering pills as next to impossible. Suboxone will help you a lot...
Just go into it positively and with the idea that you are going to do the whole recovery bit. Not just take suboxone. Or else you'll end up in the same boat as the others that say it helped for awhile until it "ruined their life"... Because of not doing recovery things... Only suboxone.

Think about it.
Research a bit.

This is just my experience/opinion.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just my 2 cents

If Suboxone helped my 600mg a day habit, I would say it would help yours. Just my opinion, but taking that first step is the hardest, but its worth it. Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys for your replies... You actually give me hope!!! Another question- when you take suboxone do you wake up in the morning with your whole body aching like with Vicodin?? I have never had real pain- always took it for the way it made me feel. But more then anything I HATE waking up in the morning because everything hurts. I don't even know what it's like to wake up with a body feeling good n rested. So I'm hoping this is done miracle drug that will cure me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The reason you are waking up feeling achy is because overnight your body is going into WD. One of the best things about suboxone is that if you are on a dose above the ceiling level you will be held steady for at least 24 hours.

The morning after my first suboxone appt I woke up feeling great. I clearly remember telling my husband it was the first time I had woke up and not thought about taking anything before getting out of bed in years. It's a great feeling of relief to be able to go through the whole day feeling good and not have to think about dosing. Once I was stable I would even forget to take my dose sometimes til late the next day...That NEVER happened while on the pills!

Post subject: Update Please!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So...have you seen your suboxone doctor yet? I'm wondering how it went and how you are feeling now.

Let us know what's going on JD!

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I go today in a few hours..... im wondering how long they will make me wait to take my first dose?? i have read stuff about having to wait 12 to 24 hrs after taking vicodin??? UGH im not looking forward to that but I am so ready to get all of this started and make some changes in my life. I will let u know how it goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh yeah...

You will definitely have to wait until you are in WD before taking your first dose. It's not fun, but it's soooo worth it! You can do it JD. Just get ready for a tough night and then by tomorrow you will feel better. During my WD before induction I just kept thinking about how it was the last time I would ever have to go through that hell....it's a new start!

Grab some immodium and prep the hot tub, and let us know if you need any support through it. Good luck with your appointment!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

WELCOME JD...

I know just exactly how you feel...been there, done that. Going to a sub Dr. was the best thing i ever did. They gave me half an 8mg. pill and told me to go outside..walk around and come back in 30 min. Then they gave me the other half..i put it
under my tongue and let it melt....In the next 20 minutes i felt like a new person..normal..and that first time it gave me a
high feeling but never after that...Suboxone saved my life...I don't even think about vicodin anymore and that is a miracle.

I don;t worry about getting off the sub...I plan to stay on it for as long as i think i need it and i am not nearly ready to
quit taking it. You will simple get well, period. No more getting enough pills to go on a trip..no more spending money and
lying about what you spent it on and on and on...you know what i am talking about...If you don't do anything else in your
life. do this...this drug will cure your cravings for vicodin. There could be 100 vicodin sitting right in front of you and you
will have no desire to take them. It truly is a miracle and it saved my life and my marriage..

Good luck to you and don't worry...i only waited 12 hours before i took my first dose..and i was fine..

Sincerely,
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think it would help, obviously easier to taper and help you get your life on track. BUT, IMO I would not let the Doctor put you on a high dose. People may disagree with me but I wouldn't go over 8mg at the most. Only really saying this because I know a girl in my treament program who was addicted to vicodin and went on 16mg of suboxone and was just screwed up, nodding out during groups. Buprenorphine is a powerful opiod and I think going on 16mg for her was just filling her opiate receptors more than she had with vicodin. I do believe that quite a few doctors don't realize the strength of suboxone. Anyways thats just my opinion and I started on 16mg but I was doing much more powerful opiates at a higher dose. I absolutely believe hydrocodone is addictive and I truly believe you may need to use suboxone, just keep in mind hydrocodone is one of the weakest opiates. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It won't be to bad. When I got on sub from a hydro habit, my last dose was 9 pm the night before. Didn't start feeling w/d's for maybe 2-3 hours but like horsegal said it will be worth it. After getting my sub for the first time....wow! It was hard to explain how I felt. Weird..really weird. I didn't crave anything at all.

Post back later today and tell us how you're doing.

bd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I got on Suboxone from a heavy Lortab/Percocet/Tramadol habit. Yea, I know but if you take enough Tramadol its just like anything else. I was up to about 16 pills a day if I had them. My last dose was around 2pm the day before and I went in the next day with sweats, and shaking. I went and got them filled, took two like she told me to do the minute that I got to the car with them and within a hour I started getting tunnel vision. I wasn't used to that much of a dose, I had taken then off the street before so I didn't have to sit around the doctor's office. Thank goodness. I have been on them almost two years, but I had a slip up back in November due to financial problems. I basically had to start over, but when I started over I started at a lower dose. A MUCH lower dose. My first doctor had me on 24 mg a day which was way too much. My new doctor has me on 8mg a day and I am free to take a little more if I need to, but I never get over 10mg a day. Its best if you stay at a lower dose, no more than what you actually need. It will be easier to taper off IF you want to do so when the time is right. Some people decide to stay on it for years, and some decide to come off of it in a few months. I have also heard of people with pain issues who just stay on it so they don't have to worry with pain problems. It does work for pain, it kicks my PMS in the butt. It also helps my back pain as well. I have been getting to the point that I cant stand no longer than 10 minutes without a burning in my back, and it does help me out. Some people will tell you that a one time dosage in the morning is best, my doctor told me that however I felt that it was easiest for me is the best to take it. I do small doses throughout the day and sometimes I forget my dose. The only thing that I worry about myself is coming off completely, because when I missed an appointment back last year that was the worst month of my life. But I was on a much higher dose as well. I would bet the smaller the dose, the easier the symptoms once you wean off.
This first little bit, enjoy your drug free life. Don't sit around and worry too much about a lot, you will see that life is going to get much better. It is definitely a miracle drug. My husband has said many times that it gave him his wife back. I was hateful and contrary, didn't want to get out of the house or interact with anyone. It completely changed me. Good luck, I know that it is a little bit to worry about but you will see after the first dose how much better things will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all your advice. It really helps to know that others have gone through the same thing. So i took 30mg vicodin at 830 am. Its now almost 5pm here. The dr gave me an rx of 10 of the 2mg sublinguals to take for the first time with her. She told me to call her tonight at 6 and if im sick enough i can go in around 730. If not then she will see me at 6am tomorrow. She said she needs to be there when i take the first dose then she will determine how much I need. Right now my stomach is starting to really hurt. And my head is pounding. Im starting to act like a major bi*ch lol. But i dont have any of the runny nose/ sick withdrawals symptoms yet. So Im wondering if it will be better to wait until the morning to take the first dose.
I know some of you may think I dont even take that much vicodin and suboxine isnt necessary. I wanted to kill my hubby today cuz when i got home from my appointment after paying all this money- he talks about using the "with draw ease" vitamins that i got awhile ago and just suck it up and be sick for a wk. Maybe Im just not strong enough. I hate the withdrawal sickness and mentally its all i think about. I CANT taper when everyday I want to take more pills then the day before. Even if i got past the physical symptoms of the withdrawal of vicodin on my own, i still worry bout wanting it. I dont know how to live a life without needing pills...... I still dont know if im doing the right thing. All i know is i hate everything from these pills- nothing makes me happy anymore- they are all i want and I dont even like the way I feel. I sound crazy huh??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You don't sound crazy at all, JD. You sound like an addict and a perfect candidate for Suboxone.

Like you said, you could probably suck it up and make it through your Hydro wd, but then what? You'll still have massive cravings and you'll more than likely end up using again. Get on Suboxone (which is an opiate too. It is, however, a partial agaonist opiate) and while on Suboxone, you'll be able to distance yourself from your active addiction, develop some healthy coping mechanisms then you can think about tapering off Suboxone, if you wish.

Here's a link to the Clinical Opiate Wd Scale (COWS), it will help you determine when you're far enough into your wd to start Suboxone.

http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree with Romeo, yeah you could suck it up and be sick to get through it. But in the end you haven't changed any behaviors, i think suboxone gives you time to learn some tools/get a support network/other things you need for recovery. It's not just about getting through WD in my opinion. I did that many times and right back to using later. Subs have given me time to learn how to live life sober which is harder than WD to me. (don't get me wrong WD SUCKS)