It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had some real bad pain last night in both my hips and my foot. I broke both hips, both femurs, just everything from my hips down basically back in 1992, with my right foot being the worse injury. They actually had to fuse the right heal and ankle back together after surgery to reconstruct my arch failed in 1993. I was filled to the gills with medal hardware, but most was removed the year of 1993. I dropped from 12 to 8 mgs, Saturday but last night felt some serious pain in my body that I just could not deal with. I took Aleve, 2 actually at around 6pm. A couple of hours later, I stuck an 8 mg strip under my tongue. I just could not take it any more. I also went and soaked in a hot tub. Something I picked up at the Roosevelt Hospital In Warm Springs Georgia. I know I held that strip under my tongue for over an hour. Now I am wondering if something didn't go wrong. LIke if the absorption was altered in one or all doses. I haven't been as diligent about maximizing absorption since learning about the ceiling effect. Also, I have been taking Benadryl with every dose because I think I might be allergic to the Suboxone strips because my mouth is breaking out in little small bumps all around my mouth. The last factor that could have played into all this is I was taking 3 mg at 5, 3 mg at noon and 2 mg at around 3pm, where as when on 12 mg I was taking 4 mg at those times. I do remember from my past experiences with pain that I must take more medication at night because the end of the day is when my leg/foot pain is the worse. Will some one please delete the thread I started in reference to dropping my dose from 12 to 8 mg. Thank you. I want to be able to take Suboxone so badly and with some well thought out planning before dropping again, I should be able to do so, Right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:21 pm 

Angie if I were u, I wouldn't worry so much about dropping ur dose right now. Ur only 6-7 months into ur treatment. There's no race to drop, especially with the pain u seem to have. Plus u may just not be ready yet....so don't worry so much about it. I typed a long response on ur other thread that u wanted to delete, I don't know if u read that or not but wanted u to know that I think u shouldn't rush to drop ur dose, I didn't. Others may, but that's not everyone. So just take ur time :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Jenn, Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read the other one. You know I have dropped to 12 mgs. I was taking 16. And I do real good at 12 mgs. My breaking out around my mouth has lessened. I take Benadryl too and that seems to wipe it out. I am shocked at how potent Suboxone is as far as a pain relieving medication. I had some serious breakthrough pain last night after cutting back to 8 mgs for 2 days. All 3 places that used to give me fits when I was on pain medication, flared up. It was like my body was saying, "remember this?". Another reason I wanted to cut back again so soon was to try and save up some more Suboxone, but At one and a half a day, I'm saving some. Enough that is. LOL Girl, I plum FORGOT how bad that pain can be, it's been so long since feeling it. Yes, I am here to tell ya, Suboxone is one He'll of a pain medicine. I have wondered how good all this time while on it. I found out how good last night. I think the best thing for me to do is stay at 12 mgs. until I decide to taper and come off, IF and when that ever happens. This is the first time I've mentioned the Suboxone breaking out around my lip area. I just want this to work out for me so bad. I want to be able to take the strips, and the Benadryl is handling that so I say, Hurray for Suboxone. It's an awesome addiction AND PAIN medication. I couldn't ask for anything more. Yours truly, Bama girl

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:58 pm 

I started out at 16mg. I stayed there for a yr or more then my doctor cut me to 12mg. I was scared to death bk then, but it actually was fine. After another yr or so I asked my doctor to cut me bk to 8mg. That's where I've been since and I'm good right there for now. Everyone is different on how quick they go down on doses. Just because this one drops quicker doesn't mean the other person should too. That's my opinion about it. Ur the one who knows what ur ready for and what ur not, so go by how u feel. That's the best way to do it :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI bamagurl,

That's a very interesting post for me..although of course I'm sorry you've got chronic pain. I have chronic pain as well, though I was under the impression that for someone previously addicted to opiates, bupe would not have any kind of pain relief effect.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you cut back to 8 mg from 12 and the pain started up again? Then you went back to 12 and got substantial relief?

Come to think of it, I think I might have read that taking more than one customarily takes is a way to get some pain relief. Be very useful if that were true.

Thanks for all,
G

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Godfrey, I was in a car wreck and broke everything from both my hips down. 28 major breaks that required stainless steal rods, plates and screws. I was tore up pretty badly... The only good thing about is all is I was young when it happened. 20 yrs old. I healed back after a year and then most of the hardware was removed. Except for some metal in my hip and metal in the other side below my knee. I did hair for years after I healed from all that. I was always on pain medication though. And now here I am today, on Suboxone and 7 months without any pain medication. I was on narcotic pain medication for a total of 24 years. I am very anxious to see how I'll do this winter. Winter was always when my pain was the worst. I have so much faith in my Suboxone though. My God, the change it has made in my life is unreal Godfrey. Jenn Jenn, I didn't know anyone stayed on that high a dose for as long as you did and I thank you so much for sharing that. I don't feel near as bad staying at 12 mg. All that I know about Suboxone, I've learned from this forum and the usual here seems to be to get to a very low dose and stabilize. I wasn't sure that was even heard of staying on 12 mg for a couple of years. God, I am so glad you shared that with me. You all have a good night. We are going to have a new president soon. Talk to every one tomorrow. Yours Truly Bama girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Guys, I've been harping too much on this pain I felt the other night. I think I am looking for an excuse to take opiates. I've been reading Dr. J.'s blog all freaking day long and in my addict mind have convinced myself that I will just take Suboxone AND oxycodone! I read someone's thread that relapsed and realized that that is right where I'm headed. I've got to snap out of this or I'll be done convinced myself that t's ok to use opiates. I've been reading that blog like a boss trying to figure out which pain clinic I'm going to go to, when I should be looking for an new Suboxone Dr. (for back up) I caught myself slipping. I have been freaking out since Saturday by not knowing what is going to happen with my Dr. leaving and that is when this downward spiral headed straight towards relapse began. Than goodness I read that darlings thread that relapsed or I would be starting my own here in a few days. I have GOT TO SNAP OUT OF THIS. It's a miracle I caught myself. And this just sounds like a bunch of bs, but I swear this is exactly what has been going on ever since Saturday, when I found out my Dr. was moving on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:54 pm 

FYI To dose for pain you should divide your total amount for the day into 4 sections. The analgesic properties of buprenorphine only last from 4 to 6 hours. So, for example, if I were on a total of 16 mg, I would dose 4 mg four times a day, with at least 4 to 6 hours in between. Does that make sense? That's how one doses for chronic pain. Bama, I don't understand why you are trying to taper while feeling out of control with your pain.

Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, that makes since, the dosing 4 times a day. I guess the reason I am now cutting back is to try to stock pile them incase I'm unable to see my Dr. after next month. I am freaking out about this NOT KNOWING. My pain used to always be worse at night. It's like the muscles get sore as the day goes by just from daily activity. I have tried to build my muscles back up by going to the gym, walking, I even went so far as to take Ti Chi (terrible spelling) classes, but I never can get AHEAD, so to speak, of this pain. It seems like I can't get strong enough to not get sore before the day is over. I should probably be working out like a athlete while I'm on my Suboxone too. I ought to be on 16 mg, 4 times a day. 16 mgs controlled my pain very well. I will be so happy when I find out there is a replacement for this Dr. who is leaving. At least I'll be at peace, no, I'll be ecstatic. I've been beyond messed up ever since I found out he was leaving. On a good note, I'm getting a phone tomorrow. I'm getting my son and I the new iPhone 7. He is staying home so he can go with me to get it. I'll pm my phone # to you and hopefully we can talk. Your such a great help to me Amy. I may need to lean on you for a few days. Btw, tomorrow at school, they are having their annual Fall Festival, so he wont miss any test or important stuff. Just saying. Thanks for the dosing information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:54 pm 

Hi Bamagirl, Yes, it is amazing how well suboxone has worked to help me with the pain I have in my knees as a result of osteoarthritis. I started at 24mgs and have tapered down to 4mgs over the past two years. When I am having a bad pain day either as result of the knees or recently with dental work, I take an extra 2mgs and it always seems to do the trick! Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:03 pm 

Bamagurl,

Take what Amy said seriously. We had another member here years ago with chronic pain and she too was on a high dose of Suboxone to help with it. We suggested she break up her dose and try to lower it as low as possible to get the best analgesic effect for pain relief. She ended up taking about 1 mg every 4-6 hours after tapering for several months. It was unbelievable how well it worked for her. She was convinced that the higher doses were necessary but proved it wrong herself. Today she off completely and only uses OTC pain meds to control her condition. Whether or not this can apply to you is another story but keep it in mind.

The lower the dose, the better the pain relief is. What a strange drug, huh?

R

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm 

Angie does ur doctor or clinic offer any type of counseling along with ur treatment? Mine does, we have group meetings and individual counseling sessions. It helps tremendously with all these feelings ur having. If they don't offer anything like that, can u find any type of addiction counseling? Just being on buprenorphine, imo, isn't enough by itself to really dig deep and help u figure out all those feelings that come along with recovery. Especially if ur starting to struggle a little bit.

Sometimes, around the 6 to 7 month mark, u start getting complacent in ur treatment. I'm the beginning ur so happy that those cravings are kept under control, then u start getting in a routine and getting comfortable and that's when ya need a little more support and counseling imo. I didn't go through that so much but it happens. I hear ppl in my group going through this a lot. Plus I know ur having pain a lot so ur going to be even more vulnerable. Plus ur kinda panicked that ur clinic isn't gonna find another doctor....Ur stressing out a little bit right now, so it's really normal to not know how to handle these feelings because you've numbed them for so long. I really hope u can talk to ur doctor about this and be completely honest about how ur feeling.

Sorry I'm all over the place lol I'm actually at my dr right now and it's difficult to concentrate :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, I have typed this respond 3 times already, and I'm going for #4. If it don't work this time, I'm gonna start calling everybody here. LOL Got my phone today. I want some of the young lady's #. I'll be pm you later. Ok, Jenn, Yes my Dr office does offer to recommend you to the Mental Health in Ga. but it so far away it would be an issue. I don't drive. I have to depend on my parents to help me get to where I need to go. They run a business here where I live and are very busy. It's actually their assistant who drives me to the Dr. every month. I may in up having to ask them to take me to therapy. But not right now. This is there busy season. Soon, I'll get up there, but it's going to be during the winter, when they aren't busy. When I first got on Suboxone, I thought I was cured. My Dr. gets you in and out in as fast a time as you can imagine. I didn't know I would need anything like therapy until I got on this forum. I am definitely going to talk to my Dr. about the stress I've been under, but it will be a few weeks. I am going to play it by ear and if I can hold off, I'll start therapy as soon as I can. It's really the best I can do. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Michelle F. Thanks so much for your input. I can always relate so well to you. Maybe because we both have the pain issues. I am going to private message you and discuss things a bit further. I do have a couple of questions I'd like to ask. ----------------------Rule, That is very hard to rap my head around. And I've heard it said here over and over about taking less for pain actually helps MORE. Very hard to rap my head around. But I'll keep that in mind. So now I'm wondering if I need to try and drop down to 8 mg again, but just split my doses up to 4 doses a day. 2 mg 4 times a day. Would that work better than 4 mg 3 times a day? Da gum, this is confusing. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:32 am 

Yes! Believe it or not, it is true! I started at 24mgs and have dropped to 4mgs and really believe that less is more! I take 2mgs in the am and 2mgs in the pm. With these teeth issues, I sometimes take an extra 2mgs when I have been to the dentist. Someone, I think Crystal, had posted about gastric bypass surgery. I too had gbs and it really does change the way your body tolerates just about everything! I too can not take aleve or any naproxen products. So, I will switch back and forth between tylenol and motrin. That is what works best for me. Enjoy your day! PS, Bamagirl, feel free to message me anytime!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It just seems like if less was more, then it would be pretty east to drop my dose. I think the pain I was having so bad when I dropped was because of poor planning. I should have spread my doses out more. 4 times a day, instead of just two. And another thing, my pain is always worse at night, always has been and probably always will be. It's like my muscles aren't strong enough to handle everything I do throughout the day. I've worked out and walked, tried numerious ways to increase my strength, and nothing works. It just stays the same. And there for I pay for it at the end of the day. Epsom salt bath soaks work on my pain too. I'll tell ya something else I can't live without. Arnica Gel. Have you ever heard of it? It a natural muscle rub, but it works great. There is no smell like in Begay or icy hot. The one I use they sell at GNC. Guys who lift weights and get sore swear by it too. That is the majority of pain I have. They I have my broken hips, and foot pain. Thank goodness that pain just hits every now and then. That is in a different kind of pain. It's weird how many different types pain there are. There's nerve pain. Luckily I'm not bothered with that. Oh, my, I'm rambling... Have an awesome Saturday everybody.--------Bama girl