It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had a 4 year long opiate addiction and ended up on suboxone. I was taking it successfully for about 2 years and I decided to get off. I did fine for a while and then, after many tragic things happened, I turned back to opiates. I have been taking them again for about a year and I do not want to end up back where I was. I am seeing a family practitioner tomorrow to get started on it again. However, I am unsure if I should tell her I was taking it before. It has been over 3 years since I have taken suboxone so I am unsure of how to approach this. I have heard that docs have gotten alot more strict and I dont want to screw up my chances by telling her or not telling her. I need help and this is the only doctor in my area that I can afford to see. Also, I have not taken any opiates in 2 days and have been taking klonopin to help with the wd, which I have a prescription for. Will that affect weather or not she will prescribe suboxone? Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't think being honest in this particular case will hurt you at all. Were you getting your subs last time from a script or off the streets? I think these doctors want full disclosure.. you are better off telling her the whole truth right off the bat then having her find something out down the road and lump you in to the liars category. Tell her the truth... if she is any good at her job she will help you. If they give you any crap about your use of the klonipin when you have a valid prescription she is not a good doctor. They will very likely to tell you to stop using it if they do start you on the subs because the combo of subs and benzos can be dangerous. Why are you afraid to tell her the truth.... she is obviously trained in addiction/recovery since she can prescribe subs(not all doctors can.) She should understand and appreciate the upfront honesty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was getting a prescription for the suboxone from a psychiatrist. I guess to be more clear, I am wondering if they allow you to re enter the suboxone program. I am worried that they might think if I couldnt do it the first time then why try again. Also the fact that it has been 3 years since I last was prescribed suboxone. I have not taken it since then. Also I am unsure if there is a difference in treatment between general practitioners and psychiatrists treating patients with suboxone.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Are you sure this primary doc can prescribe the subs? I really do not think they will have issues putting you back on the program...not sure where you live but here in MN it is very monitored. Not allowing you to try again would be like telling an alcoholic they can't try treatment more then once. I don't think it will be a one strike your out deal. If you were successful for 2 years on the program I think they will have faith in putting you in again. However in saying this some doctors don't always use their brains or consider what is best for the people they are treating. And even if allowing you back into the program is the right thing to do... it wouldn't be the first time a doctor did something not in the patients best interest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been through 3 different suboxone clinics/doctors. Honesty is the best here. Tell them your story, not your life story though. Just say "I've been an opiate addict __ years. I was using suboxone __ years ago, and it changed my life. When I tapered off I was in a good place. Things happened, I relapsed, I'd like to try suboxone again." Nothing wrong with going back for help again. Also, I've found suboxone doctors either love MONEY or getting people sober. So why the heck wouldn't a doctor give you suboxone again? It's more money for them!

When I stopped going to a clinic, they actually contacted me via mail to ask how my sobriety was going. And offered to re-induce me for a low low price because I was a patient there before. HA!