It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone for pain?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have chronic pain caused by a pinched nerve in my back. My story is like all the others...started on a small dose of Lortabs and 5 years later I'm taking 80mgs a day with no end in sight. I hate these damnn pills. I asked my pain management doctor is suboxone could be used to treat pain and he looked at me like I was crazy. He asked me "how did you find out about Suboxone and why are you wanting to quit taking these pain pills?" I was shocked. The industry I work in looks down on any kind of pain meds even though everything is legal and can be proved medically. I told my doc that I was tired of being on these pills and wanted to quit and that I believed they were causing my anxiety and depression to worse.

At this point he became angry with me and told me that Suboxone was not intended to treat pain in any way and to stay away from any doctor that said otherwise. Anyone here in the same boat? Has anyone here been successful in using Sub too treat chronic pain? My pain at times is unbearable and I've tried to quit taking the lortabs but the cravings get to be too much. Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, I take sub for both pain and addiction. There are others here that do as well. I find it controls my pain pretty well. When you take sub for pain you should take it in multiple doses because the pain relieving properties only last for around six hours. A LOT of Dr.s do not understand sub and it sounds like your Dr. is one of them. I was on oxy and up to 150mg a day when I said enough and got on sub. I am now on 16mg of sub a day and I split it into 3-4 doses. I feel it is controlling my pain better than the oxy was at the end, because like all pain meds you have to take more and more for them to work. This usually is not the case with sub. If you are interested in sub there is a dr finder at the top of the home page. Hope you get your pain under control and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the amount of Lortab I'm taking is quite small compared to other posts I've read but it is having a horrible effect on me. This crap has taken away a part of my spirit...it has changed me from a person I once was...a person I really liked. I'm am interested in someones opinion on opioid use and incrase anxiety/depression. I have a few extra questions as well.

1) What about cost? I've yet to see how much people are spending monthly.
2) How long would someone like me have to be off Lortabs before beginning suboxone?
3) What level of suboxone would work for pain management and to keep the cravings away?

Thanks again in advance for any response.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are people with all different doses of pain meds who chose to go on sub. It's not so much how high your dose of lortab is but what it's doing to your life and from what you say above I think you would benefit from sub.

I am not sure if you have insurance or not but without it paying cash sub runs between 7-8 bucks for a 8mg tab/strip

The amount of time you have to be off isn't the same for everyone as an average it's around 24 hours. What's most important is that you are in mild to moderate withdrawl. The Dr will most likely induce you in his office and will use something called the COWS scale to make sure you are in withdrawl. If you take sub before you are in mild to moderate withdrawl you will get precipatated withdrawl which is a horrible thing. That is why your Dr. will induce you. Most Dr.s start by giving you 4mg then wait 30 mins to an hour and if you are still in withdraw will give you more and so on. You may find that in the Dr. office 4mg did the trick but then a few days later at home you may start having cravings or the sub isn't keeping your pain under control. This is normal and you should tell your Dr so he can increase your dose. It can take a little time to find what dose works for you. Everyone is different so I can't tell you the dose that would work for you, it is just trial and error.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and feel free to pm if you prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi busdriver and welcome. I, too, take sub for both addiction and for treatment of my chronic pain. I second pretty much everything that Breezy_ann had to say. You'll just have to find the dose that works for you, with regard to what you need to address your particular cravings and pain. I take 16+ mg per day, split into 2 doses, sometimes 3, depending on my pain levels any given day.

My sub treatment is covered by insurance (meds and doc visits), but I know a lot of sub doctors don't take insurance. I also know it can get rather expensive, BUT, look what active addiction was costing us overall? When you start calling doctors, just be ready with a list of questions including cost and what they might require (therapy, meetings, UA's, etc) and whatever else is important to you.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Busdriver I have been on suboxone 10 days today. My addiction was ruining my life, I wasn't the wife, mother, daughter or sister I used to be. My father had a long talk with me and that really touched my heart. He told me that he could see where this was taking me, that my husband was not gonna make enough money to support my habit. Taking bill money to buy my pills hurt me But I did it :cry:

I have chonic pain as well and shocking to me This help my pain better then the 20 tabs a day or 6 OC's a day.

I can see "me" coming back and it is Great!!! Open house last night and I was STRAIGHT I was walking the halls like a child so proud to be off this drugs.

I hope what i had to say can help you with this decision I really think you will get alot of your problems answered once you get on suboxone.

I have an appointment with my pain management dr. on the 6th not sure I will go just still a little hard for me to think about but i hear lots of PM doctors don't like suboxone not sure if mine is one but will find out

Have a Great Day and happiness is on its way!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm 

If you do some research for doctors who are qualified to prescribe Suboxone, they should be trained properly on how to administer it and how much you will need upon induction.

I knew nothing about it until I spoke with my doctors nurse who instructed me to not take any pills the day of induction and to come in at 3pm. Of course it was a miserable day and I was in terrible shape waiting to see the doctor. They had me fill out a bunch of paperwork mostly asking how much I was taking and how long, and the legal stuff too.

After going out and getting the script filled, they gave me the Suboxone in the office, waited 20 minutes and gave me a little more. That was the best I felt in a long time. Weird feeling for the first few days until my body and mind adjusted to it. They actually gave me too much in the beginning but we got my dose straightened out quickly.

You will not experience any cravings. That part I didn't believe because my cravings were so intense every day, but it is true. The only side effect I've had is feeling a little sleepy if I don't keep myself busy. Started taking some B-12 and that helped fend off the tiredness.

Spend some time reading the past posts here and you'll get a good idea on its success.

Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Busdriver, my pain is also from spinal issues, 2 prolapsed and leaking lumbar discs, a 4" long cyst growing on my spinal cord in my middle back, and disc disease in my neck. My pain level eery day was about an "8" and now that I've been on Suboxone 24mg a day, it has taken it down to a 1! So yes, all it is is buprenorphine and noloxone put together, and the buprenorphine was originally intended as a pain reliever. Then they discovered it could help people with withdrawel from opiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess I am the rarity of this forum because suboxone didn’t do shit for my pain and I ended up wasting 5 years chasing false hope that it would help my pain. So I am now on methadone and these past 5 months have been the best years of my life in a long time. I wake up excited and happy not in so much pain I can’t get out of bed. I know others hear have had great success with it but on the other hand not everyone has had pain relief from suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

b-boy'. one thing i don't understand? if you were in such bad pain". why wait FIVE years? i would not have waited that long.
i'm just saying you must have been doing something right?