It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone for life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Long story short in a younger fella at only 22. This is my second time on suboxone only been on a month after relapsing at school taking medical leave until fall to regroup and stay clean. I have no with my mother who is a nurse decided for atleast as long as I'm in school (1.5 more years) I am going to stay on suboxone while I'm on it my anxiety is way lower my cravings are gone and my life is going right up back to normal when I go off I stay clean for a few months and bam I'm back. Would it be bad to stay on suboxone for a long period or maybe life? I have gotten of suboxone 2 times once perscribed once I was buying the street and the second time I stopped cold turkey at 8mg a day I had 0 I mean 0 withdrawal with the help of kratom so I am not scared to get off at all anymore before I was and I rushed my self off.

Post subject: Re: Suboxone for life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MC,

In answer to your question, no there's nothing wrong with relying on bupe for the long term. Years. Decades even if that's what you need. Whatever it takes.

Some docs disagree and work to get their patients "clean," but this is dangerous
if you're not ready. My advice would be to stay on the bupe and move on with your life. Be good to get
some therapy along the way to work on your sobriety, which is another way of saying to work on your self.

You're a young man, with a whole bright future ahead because of this very safe, near miraculous drug.
Stay on it, grow up some, get more experience, figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.
The very last thing you'd want to do right now is risk your sobriety.

Welcome to the forum!

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IMO it comes down to personal choice. Recovery is a very personal thing, and we need whatever help we can get. Don't let anyone else tell you what you personally need in recovery to stay off the gear and have a good quality of life. What worked for them may not work for you. Same goes for people who claim that you're "not in recovery" for choosing to take Sub long term.

I personally would not have any qualm with taking it for life. I can enjoy a decent quality of life on Suboxone. But I personally hope to get off it in the near future because of side effects, and barriers to travel. Despite life being good on Sub, the periods I've had in recovery off Suboxone seemed more ... "vibrant" and libidinous!

I also believe that being OKAY with staying on Sub for life reflects a really mature and realistic outlook towards one's recovery. It acknowledges the gravity of opioid addiction. The people who think they can take it for a couple of months and everything will be okay? They're the ones I worry about.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks a ton for the responses all! Finally deciding to join the forum and posting has given me a place to actually talk about this stuff beside rehab and have educated personal experience responses. I agree that accepting the gravity of the situation of opiate addiction is a huge part in why i will stay on long term. My first go around i thought just like you said "a few months ill be fine" well i got off and was fine for about 3 months and was back to square one. So this go around i decided life isnt probably my best decision because im so young so i will get off but i am for sure going to wait until i graduate school!

Being off sub and being sober i agree does feel the best but getting off soon ended up horrible the first time resulting in almost losing my life. So for now im going to enjoy the clean life with a little bit of assistance :D i am excited to see how much i can change my future and grow in positive ways while on suboxone, i am also excited to see how i will grow when off of it!

Thank you all!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

True.

Two of my best friends are no longer among the living as a result of going off their Suboxone when they weren't ready and prepared for what the step entailed. They both died within a month of stopping. :shock: :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In some case it takes longer to get yourself off suboxone. I have seen people adjusting to lower dosages and yet live comfortable life in the long run

Best of Luck