It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A friend of mine has been on various opiates for about 4 months. She was in a serious car accident (started on morphine at the hopital and I believe is now on percs). Her pain is now at a more tolerable level and wants to come off the meds. She is not an addict. She is concerned about having withdrawals though when she comes off and her doctor said he could give her a 3-day suboxone detox where she will take about .5-1mg a day for 3 days to ease her withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone ever done this or know how well it would work? Would she then have more withdrawals from the subs? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not hugely experienced with starting Suboxone treatment coming off of an opiate habit, but as your friend may not think she is addicted to the pain medication, at least mentally, her body may be very well physically dependent on it and she will most likely experience withdrawals when she discontinues usage. This is also related to how long she has been on pain medication and how much she is taking per day. 3 days seems like a short period of time to be undergoing Suboxone therapy, and a dosage as low as .5-1MG seems comparatively low as far as where most people are started at, but again that could depend on the length/dosage/severity of her current habit. If starting out on that low of a dosage feels comfortable for her, then by all means. It also seems to be a general consensus that the shorter amount of time you have to be on Suboxone treatment, the better. Though I wouldn't be all too surprised if 3 days is a bit too short, and that she may notice the withdrawals to be a bit intense by the time she stops. I wouldn't be surprised if she might need at least a week of treatement, possibly starting out on 1MG for a few days, if that is a comfortable dosage, then dropping down to .5, and then 1/4 of a MG, then 1/8, etc... Though in her case, a taper may not even be neccesary. Someone with more experience regarding the tapering method(s) may be able to chime in here, as I have not yet started on my tapering off of Suboxone, and have only researched it a little on my own.

Hope this helps :)