It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Film BA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So, I've been searching everywhere online for the bioavailability of the Suboxone film and I can only find the BA of the Suboxone tabs and one would think they have the same BA but apparently they might not:

Patients being switched between SUBOXONE (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual tablets and SUBOXONE sublingual film should be started on the same dosage as the previously administered product. However, dosage adjustments may be necessary when switching between products. Because of the potentially greater relative bioavailability of SUBOXONE sublingual film compared to SUBOXONE (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual tablets, patients switching from SUBOXONE (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual tablets to SUBOXONE sublingual film should be monitored for over-medication. Those switching from SUBOXONE sublingual film to SUBOXONE (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual tablets should be monitored for withdrawal or other indications of under-dosing. In clinical studies, pharmacokinetics of SUBOXONE sublingual film was similar to the respective dosage strengths of SUBOXONE (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual tablets, although not all doses and dose combinations met bioequivalence criteria.

I know it says POTENTIALLY GREATER RELATIVE BIOAVAILABILITY but I'm still curious since I can't find the numbers anywhere. I have a friend who got his jaw broken and his doctor recommended taking the Subxone rectally. He said he noticed a difference but he was only on suboxone a short time to ween off of the the Oxy the doctor prescribed for his broken (nearly shattered) jaw. I've read online of people saying you absorb much of their suboxone than usual if you take it rectally, which means you could take a lower dose of your medication for instance, 6-8MGs might feel the same as if you took 16MGs. If anyone knows what the BA numbers are or has a link it would be greatly appreciated. I think it would interest a lot of other people here who have trouble paying for medication from month to month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Also, let me clarify that I am in no way promoting alternative MOAs, I am just curious if the strips have a higher BA then the tablets.

Also, for those who don't know here is the BA of Suboxone Tablets:
Sublingual-13 to 51.4%
Intraarterial-100%
Intravenous-100%
Intrahepatoportal-49%
Intraduodenal-9.7%
Buccal-27.8%

Intraarterial means absorbed through your arteries, AKA injection into artery which means all of the drug would be instantly absorbed by your blood stream. Intravenous means injected into the vein, like Intraarterial it would it would be absorbed instantly straight into your blood stream. Intrahepatoportal means it would absorbed into your liver, so I'm guessing it would involve a doctor sticking you with a very large needle that punctures into your liver and is injected into there. Intraduodenal means absorbed through your small intestine so that is what happens when you swallow Suboxone, and Buccal means through your mouth, specifically your cheek.