It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I ran out of film early so I got a couple generic subs from a friend my question is will this show up the same on a drug test?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So nice to have a question that can be answered without controversy! The answer is 'yes'.. ALMOST certainly. To explain... Suboxone film contain buprenorphine and naloxone. When dosed correctly, a tiny fraction of the naloxone is absorbed, and that tiny by of naloxone is broken down very quickly. When you take generic buprenorphine, the same amount of buprenorphine enters your bloodstream, and the same amount of buprenorphine, and buprenorphine metabolites, will be detected in your urine.

Every now and then, someone will post that their doc measured naloxone metabolites. Why? i have no idea. Maybe they can bill for checking for naloxone. There are many docs out there who enjoy playing detective more than treating patients. But that would be the only potential problem, if your doc says that there isn't any naloxone present, and believes that there SHOULD be.

In response, I would say that the reason for no naloxone is because the naloxone was metabolized, as it should be. You could also inform the doctor that you spit out the naloxone; some patients who worry, for whatever reason, about absorbing naloxone will spit out the saliva after 10 minutes of dosing, with the goal of absorbing only buprenorphine.

I don't mean to encourage bad behavior, as every person's best chance for recovery is to trust a caring, careful physician... but I realize that treatment conditions are not always ideal. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quest and Millennium labs do quantitative testing. When requesting testing they want to know what medications are prescribed and they will check and confirm. If Suboxone or a combo product is checked then they check for Naloxone, if plain buprenorphine is prescribed they do not. Sometimes the LADC or nursing staff get 'concerned' if the Naloxone level is low.
I think I annoy them when I shrug, 'meh,' who cares.
I cringe at the 1000's of dollars spent on these unnecessary tests.
I don't know if you can charge for a lab 'interpretation' fee or not, I don't, just part of your visit fee if I review any lab.
PAX

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for responding, the tablets I have taken are Buprenorphine/naloxone and are the same mg as the film so hopefully I have nothing to worry about. I know it's my fault for running out early and I really don't have any excuse except I'm am addict. I'll update next Dr appointment and let you know how it went down. Good vibes please I'm stressed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 pm 

Hi All, I really appreciate this question right now as my insurance co may make me try generic tablets! I have been using the films from the begining and was feeling a little nervous about having to switch. I am fortunate in that I have an amazing doctor whom I love! She has assured me that she will call them on my behalf if necessary even though she thinks I will be fine. Thank you Doctors for your quick and complete response! You both are invaluable and I hope that you both know how much your input is valued!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks everyone!! I didn't get tested today I was so worried I would but didn't yay!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, strips and tablets contain the same medicine in the same proportions. I started out on the tablets and took them for years. Once my doctors' nurse faxed an RX for the strips to the pharmacy. I did not like the strips at all. I have a four tooth bridge bridge in the lower bottom front of my mouth and the strips got sticky and rubbery, stuck to the teeth on the bridge which was very irritating. At this time my insurance only covers that generic tablets which is fine with me. Personally I prefer generics that are not highly flavored such as Roxanne or Actavis. Tablets with strong lemon lime flavor cause me to salivate excessively and I get concerned that I won't get my full dose as I will have to swallow often while dosing.