It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone film cutting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi y'all, my research partner and I are starting a stability study and checking the uniformity of Suboxone in a film. Even though the manufacturer says not to cut it, in the pharmacy we dispense it and people do anyways so we want to check the safety of the practice. I thought this forum might be interested after stumbling across it!

Only one question.we need to know how people are cutting, storing and using Suboxone if you cut your films. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mjdeange on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:58 pm 

One of our members created a cutting guide and successfully tapered off suboxone with minimal discomfort. Here is the website and the product he created:

http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com/

He would be a great person to talk to for your research!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take 1 8mg strip a day, 90% of the time I just fold it in half and split the dose, once in the am, once in the pm...and this has worked consistently for over 2 years.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:30 pm 

Yeah I also take 8mg a day. When I used to take 12mg I'd have to cut one strip in half to go with the other strip equaling 12 total. I'd just always put the extra half that I didn't use bk into the suboxone wrapper and fold the top over and use that extra half the next day. I never had any problems with doing that. It never effected the medicine and everything turned out fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What do you mean? From what my doctor and the manufacturer Reckitt-Bensicker told me, is that the bupe is distributed evenly throughout the film. This is the first time I have heard anything other than that. And I have been splitting them for a year, and always feel the same from 6mgs. 3/4 of a strip. First I have ever heard it is not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My thought this is from a troll trying to stir things up. A researcher posting at 10:55 PM? If legit you will identify your institution and names along with your credentials. Previous researchers coming here have been willing to give that information. Not a lot of 'research' comes out of pharmacies.
You are right Jay, if there is any variance in distribution it would be quite negligible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Officially you're not supposed to cut films, because RB claim the dose isn't spread uniformly across the film. I personally have doubts about that, and the old conspiracy theorist TeeJay is suspicious they just say such things to discourage people tapering off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have taken Suboxone for close to 15 years and I regularly cut the strip's because I am trying to wean myself off without a Dr's approval or watchful eye. My bad, but I can't afford it anymore...It's insane expensive!!! So I cut an 8 mg strip into 16 pieces, yes 16, and take 1/ day. Others may scoff at this, and I have gone about 5 days without before and only mild withdrawal occured, but I am telling you I have detoxed hard a few times off 16-24 MGS/day and withdrawal just isn't easy. You always feel like life is over and this will never end. I plan to try another step down to every other day soon. My theory being, if you taper slowly enough to only cut off enough receptors to cause mild withdrawal that is bearable, you can see a light at the end of a tunnel that has long been dark and closed off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy,

Thanks for posting that. Brilliant. Be well worth the few dollars. I've been wondering how people
taper when down to micro doses. It's nice to know there's a reliable method. I'm currently back at 8 mg after
a few days at 6, which didn't feel quite right. As much as I'd like to get down to 4 mg, I refuse to rush. I've had no problem at all reducing from 32 to 24 to 16 to 8 in about 6 weeks. Only when cutting down to 6 mg have I felt a little "unprotected," though hard to tell if that's just imagination.

Why am I fixated at 4 mg? Because it's the dosage recommended by Dr.to be at or below for surgery. Just in case something comes up....including something unscheduled....I want to know that won't be too much of a problem provided I can find a cooperative doctor..

4 mg's sounds low to the uneducated ear....namely mine....but in the scheme of things it's a pretty big dose, considering how small the doses are when the stuff is prescribed for pain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 pm 

I too thought getting down to 4 mg's was big step. But you're right Godfrey. It is a very strong drug and I didn't stay at 4 for very long. Went from 4 to 3, then 2.5, then 2, 1.5, and then down to 1 mg. Easy, as long as you don't try going down too fast or more than 25% max. Never felt any discomfort with the drops.

That is what drives me crazy with this forum and people posting how they stopped at 2 mg's or even 8! Why subject yourself to so much painful withdrawals? We have so many threads about tapering down to micro doses but they don't read them or they're in a hurry and just want off. New members post in the Stopping Suboxone section but never read past posts.

The ones that really concern me is when they say that they just couldn't taper and had to stop at the high dose. To me, that means almost 100% setup for failure. If you don't have the discipline to taper slowly, what gives you the idea you'll be able to fight off the inevitable cravings once it's behind you? Why won't they read the posts here showing how to do it? We keep telling them how but they won't listen. But I know the real reason. We addicts want what we want when we want it and don't want to wait. Being so self centered around our addiction keeps our minds closed. I can go on but will stop now. This thread I've already hijacked for my own agenda.

Enough out of me.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule!!
1000% agree w first 3 paragraphs. Needs to be said. especially 2nd and 3rd. Thx, all your comments are instructive and important.

Godfrey!! Enjoy your new life!! You deserve it and the rest of those that know you -- do too! Remember this. They maybe are worn out wo you knowing it. Your spouse has likely been thru much and needs to see you stabilize --- just let her enjoy and love you -- OFF -- full opiates for awhile. Wish I'd had that chance...

Please, let YOU -- form -- who you are now. Why rush anything? Change and adjust while on bup. Have you read where Dr j talks of blowback? those newly on bup get better -- but family, neighbors, friends are still not sure and may be caught up in who you were before, and may be still PO'd. How do they know this isn't just another way you're going sideways? or worse? Give time for THEM to adjust to the new you. They likely don't yet believe the 'talk'. Instead, 'walk the walk' and SHOW over time that you have changed. You are a worrier and will worry on whatever dose you are on. Rule and I and others are far out in experiencing the beauty of what bup can do -- but you are new to it. Give it time to work its magic. Rushing it can screw it up! So glad you are here and posting. best, P