It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anyone here notice if Soboxone has caused a severely diminished milk supply after having their baby? I have had 4 children on Sub. all with NO...I say NO withdrawls whatsoever...but I have had supply issues with all of them! Could the sub be causing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't heard of this as a problem with Sub, but who knows? Everyone's different.

Are you drinking enough water? I know when I was on Sub I was always dehydrated. And when I was breastfeeding, I was also always dehydrated. Water!

There are herbs you can take to support your milk supply also. Fenugreek is one and I'm sure there are others.

Good luck!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have not heard that complaint from any of the women in my practice, who have had babies while on buprenorphine. But then again, most are new mothers, and would not have a comparison from a prior experience.

Realize that many women have struggles with breast feeding. Yes, it is a natural process... but perhaps in our modern obsession for perfection, people are harder on themselves and think they are doing something wrong. Some babies have greater appetites than others, and aren't satiated for as long between feedings as other babies. Some babies have trouble with 'suckling' as well, either by putting their tongue over the nipple or not generating enough suction; in the past, those troubles have been blamed (incorrectly) on a number of things, including labor epidurals. I'm sure somewhere out there, right now, a nurse is saying 'tsk tsk' to a young mother who is struggling with breast feeding-- someone who already feels guilty about being on Suboxone!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 pm 
Hi Moonwalker! I'm sorry you're having problems with breastfeeding! You are so not the only one! And I can almost promise you that it has nothing to do with your being on Sub. I was an RN for a long time, with special certifications in Labor and Delivery, High Risk Antepartum, and Lactation Consulting. I have not practiced in a few years, but at the time I stopped working, milk supply issues were a common concern. If the hospital you delivered had the services of a lactation consultant, please make contact with her. They are a wealth of information and should not, as Dr. J suggested give you any 'tsk, tsk'......In fact, if I were you, if you go in for a meeting with her, I might not even mention the Suboxone as I don't feel it's significant at this time. If you don't have access to a consultant, you might consider getting ahold of the La Leche League as they also can offer lots of tips and support. In addition, you might contact your OB....they used to prescribe a medication (Reglan) which would often help in milk production. And as Diary suggested, make sure that you are very well hydrated and consuming at least as many calories as during pregnancy, if not more to support your breastfeeding. Obviously it's difficult to tell exactly how much milk your baby is actually getting and sometimes we find that we've worried for no reason. Consult with your pediatrician about how many wet diapers you should expect and get information regarding when/if it would be best to supplement with formula. And remember....the more stressed you are about this stuff, the more the problem seems to compound itself! Be good to yourself! Hope that helps and Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi
Iam currently nursing my 9-month-old and I haven't any supply issues that are any different from my other kids who I all nursed. I am on 4mg of bupenorphine. I nurse her exclusively. The one issue I may have is with pumping. If I pump soon after I had my dose, sometimes I just don't get a good letdown. But never a prob with nursing. Like PPs said, supply issues are such a common concern with every mom. What makes you think you are having a low supply?
The best indicator of a supply is to count babies wet diapers. You are looking for 6-8 good wet diapers a day. And if baby is happy and hitting milestones, then your supply is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have 3 children. Nursed them all, 1st one I wasn't on subutex, and the 2nd two were. Before I had the second child I swore I read somewhere that in lactating rats milk supply was decreased in some. At the time that was about as much information as I could find on Lactation and Subutex. With my 3rd child I stopped nursing due to supply. The first month or two was OK. The first couple of months with the first 2 I would nurse and pump in between feedings to stock up the freezer. With the 3rd I would only get a half of an ounce between feedings. Never had any leakage with the 3rd child. After the first 2 months I wouldn't let down, they never felt full, the baby would nurse for and hour strait and still be hungry. I tried every thing the doctor suggested to increase supply, but nothing helped. When I stopped nursing abruptly and not once did my breast swell up, leak, or hurt(unlike the first 2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

UPDATE: My supply has regulated with the help of Domperidone. The Reglan was causing depression and I quickly got off that. Iam lucky enough to have a doctor that believes that the benefits of breastmilk far out weigh the risk of suboxone exposure. We actually tested my son (just to see) if he tested positive. Results were negative. Good thing to have in my file, just in case I get people harping on me for breastfeeding my son while on the treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
I have not heard that complaint from any of the women in my practice, who have had babies while on buprenorphine. But then again, most are new mothers, and would not have a comparison from a prior experience.

Realize that many women have struggles with breast feeding. Yes, it is a natural process... but perhaps in our modern obsession for perfection, people are harder on themselves and think they are doing something wrong. Some babies have greater appetites than others, and aren't satiated for as long between feedings as other babies. Some babies have trouble with 'suckling' as well, either by putting their tongue over the nipple or not generating enough suction; in the past, those troubles have been blamed (incorrectly) on a number of things, including labor epidurals. I'm sure somewhere out there, right now, a nurse is saying 'tsk tsk' to a young mother who is struggling with breast feeding-- someone who already feels guilty about being on Suboxone!

The doctor on this forum posted this and I have to say How relieved I am to find a place where I can talk about this experience.
I have been on sub for about 2 months now-started at 14mgs and tapered myself down to 2mg now. I was advised to stay on this stuff for like a year but really was just seeking a short-term form of relief until I got some stability down in therapy and a better structure for myself.
I am a full time student and mom-and I finish up this Fall with my classes, graduating next spring after an internship.
Anyway, I am totally FREAKED OUT that I may be pregnant again, and I have read HORROR stories about moms giving birth to low birth weight babies, babies in WITHDRAWAL and stillborns------->I AM NOT OKAY WITH ANY OF THAT!! I also have heard it dries up your milk - NOT OKAY! I breastfed for a year and a half with my other child. This is really creeping me out and I am needing some serious reassurance and advice.

Do I go off it if I find out I am pregnant? My gut tells me YES, but people swear you will lose your baby. While I dont want that, I also don't want a baby to come out deformed, delayed or in withdrawal of all things. I dont want a stressful pregnancy where all I do is WORRY. So I would want to taper off. SOMEONE TELL ME THEY TAPERED OFF DURING PREGNANCY SUCCESSFULLY!! I AM AT 2MG PER DAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad the breastfeeding is going better. I totally agree about the benefits of breastfeeding and wish I had done it longer with my kids (13 years ago my doc made me quit to go on an antidepressant! Now they don't do that). Anyway, I think one of the recent news feed articles here said that small amounts of Sub passed into the breast milk. In my mind I'm thinking if you are breastfeeding from birth that tiny amount might be enough to prevent NAS. Then as you slowly wean the baby wouldn't experience any WD. It definitely sounds like the way to go if you are on Sub throughout the pregnancy.

I wish all of you new moms congratulations, and you should all pat yourselves on the back for being in and staying in recovery!
Lilly

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

doing my research! i appreciate all input here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, I wish that I would have read this 2 years ago! My sub doc told me that I should absolutely not breastfeed because the sub can and will be passed to my son through my breast milk. Im glad to see that so many diffrent people were able to do this and that your son was even tested and was negative. Very helpful if I decide to have baby number 3! Thanks!