It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Drug Testing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am on parole and I have heard stories about it showing up in urine as Oxycontin or opiates on some occasions. I have read it has to be specifically tested for. My PO knows I am on Suboxone but if it shows up as something else there will be no saying, " oh no I did not take that the Suboxone sometimes shows up as something else " that will not fly.

I have really been stressing over this. I even quit taking the Suboxone because I am scared of that. I will be off of Suboxone for approximately fifteen days the day of my drug test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi TechieBrad and welcome to the forum,

I hear your frustration and I don't blame you for wanting to play it safe, so to speak. But I don't think you need to. It's my understanding that suboxone has to be specifically tested for for it to show up in a drug screen. Have you thought about buying your own drug test at the pharmacy and seeing for yourself what that test will show? It might ease your mind. I'm sure others will chime in on this subject who have specific experience on this.

Also, are you prepared to be in withdrawals when you stop taking your sub? What dose are you on right now? I'd hate for you to put yourself into w/d when you don't need to. But this is only my opinion. Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you find it as valuable to your recovery as I have. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes I have had withdrawals from stopping the Suboxone so abruptly.

I was hoping for a more solid answer though. I think I am given a 5 panel dip stick test. But like I said there will be no excuses.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry no one else has replied. It's been very quiet around here lately. People simply may not know the answer.

Ok, based on what I've learned from this forum, it all depends on the test. Unfortunately, I don't know all the names for the types of tests. Aren't the "5 panel dip stick" tests pretty simple? If they are, I'd be willing to bet it WON'T show up. I've never heard of it showing up as an opiate - only when they test specifically for suboxone and those are more complicated, expensive tests.

Again, I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. I just don't have one though, this is the best I've got. I really hate to think you've put yourself into withdrawals on such a slim chance - BUT you (obviously) have to do what you feel is best. And I support you in that decision.

Please keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 pm 
I just happened to sumble on a website (Medimpex I think it was) that sells drug tests. According to them a standard drug test only has one panel for opiates, and an expanded drug test has a panel for opiates, methadone and oxycodone - none of these detects buprenorphine. Tests that detect for bupe have a seperate panel for it - which costs extra. Or a company can purchase a bupe only test. But it definately looks like the standard opiate tests DO NOT detect bupe. A company would have to be specifically looking for it, and paying to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:08 pm 
All I have found about this issue concurs with what the others have said. Rarely, if ever, would buprenorphine pop a positive result for opiates on a regular urine 'strip-panel' type drug test. As Lilly said, even for the synthetics to show up (like hydrocodone or oxycodone) often requires an extra panel. Buprenorphine just is NOT likely to show up on the standard drug test.
Worst case scenario.....a 'positive' reading happens. If that happens, it is standard practice and almost certainly would be required when there are legal issues involved, for the urine sample to be sent for further testing to identify the exact drug detected and that it was indeed a confirmed 'positive' result. I think you're worrying and withdrawing for no reason....but I totally understand how it feels to be at the mercy of an 'entity' who can royally screw with your life if you even hint at a misstep. I'm sorry you're in this position. Seems to me since your parole officer knows you're on Suboxone, you should have absolutely zero worries....because as I said...even a preliminary 'positive' on the dip tests must surely be confirmed by further testing which would show you are only on what you're supposed to be on.
Would you please let us know what you find out, how this all turns out, and most of all, that you're okay. It sucks that you had to quit your Sub....that's a recipe for trouble, and you don't sound like you deserve that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was on probation the first two years of my suboxone use and had to test weekly for the first six months then monthly after that. I never had a problem and believe me my PO would have loved to send me away for a dirty urine. This was also some years ago, maybe things have changed and I also listed it under medications I was taking. From my understanding it does not show up on drug screens. My wife has given me a few over the years also (I don't know why she won't take my word that I'm clean, it's not like I'm a liar when I'm using, jk). Nothing ever showed up on the home versions either. I would not worry about it, but I'm not in your situation so you will probably worry anyway. I used to hate those days of dropping for the courts every week. I would always worry about a false possitive or a mix up at the lab. The place I had to drop there were hundreds of people waiting in line and then they would put you sample on a big tray along with everyone elses. Even though the guys testing were wearing white lab coats you knew they didn't give a shit. One time my wife and I went to dinner for our anniversary and half way through my chicken I realized it had poppy seeds in it. I was freaking out for weeks. All that crap will be over with sooner than you think. Hang in there.