It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone drug test.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on Sub's now for 1.5 months. My last visit my doc cut my dose down so I messed up and ended up taking more then I was suppose to and ended up shorting myself towards the end of the month. So now I'm out and still got 3 days till my next visit. My question is before I took some pain pills I pee'd in a bottle so that way when the doc gives me a UA I'll have sub's in my system and not be dirty with opiates. Will my urine still be good 3 days from now? And will the sub's still show up on the UA in the bottled urine 3 days from now? Please some one help ASAP... Thanks

Post subject: Re: Suboxone drug test.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have no idea if they can tell how " fresh"a sample is, but I do know that it has to be within a specific temperature range . there's often a thermometer on the sample cup they give you. do you know if they ever have observed tests where someone, like a nurse, watches you provide the sample? that's something else to consider.

however your best bet would be to be honest with your doctor about what happened, letting him/ her know that the lower dose isn't working for you. he may up you back to your original dose. in cases like this it's usually best to be honest with your doctor. even if you " fool" the test this time, you don't want to run into the same trouble again next month, right? it helps him give you the best possible treatment for your addiction, and helps you to avoid a relapse. good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes-- I agree with Lizzie.... and I find myself trying to decide whether or not to answer. On one hand, I don't want to encourage anyone to trick his/her doctor. On the other hand, I am aware that there are doctors who seem to find excuses to throw people back into the swamp of active addiction. The 'club of doctors' (if there was one) would say that all doctors should know everything the patient is doing, in order to make the right treatment decision. But I've become cynical after seeing and hearing about how some practices are run.

I don't know for certain, but my educated guess is that buprenorphine is relatively stable in refrigerated urine. In the body, buprenorphine is broken down by two pathways, both involving a series of enzymes that are found in the liver-- not in urine. So any breakdown of buprenorphine would be from instability of the molecule... and I remember an article about how stable buprenorphine is, in acid, base, and heat (it is a very stable molecule). If the urine was not refrigerated, it would likely grow a lot of bacteria eventually, and the bacteria would likely chew up buprenorphine... but that would take at least a few days if the sample was refrigerated. If the sample is clear, not cloudy, it isn't likely to have a lot of bacteria growing in it.

but as Lizzie said, we usually look at the temp of the sample. One way that I once realized that a patient was trying to deceive me was when his sample was about 110 degrees... the cup actually felt hot! I told him that either the sample had been microwaved, or he was about to die from fever!

Ideally, you would be able to talk this through. Addiction isn't a 'contest'-- it is an illness. Nobody recovers from anything 'perfectly'; there are always fits and starts to ANY recovery from illness. But.... there is a shortage of buprenorphine providers, so there are not enough choices to allow the market to push out the bad docs. I hope things work out.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would agree with all the advice you have already been given. And, I appreciate the information offered by Dr.J.

I want to add that it would be much better for you to be honest with your doctor about your slip than to get caught trying to tamper with a UA. Yes, both scenarios are risky as far as your continued treatment. But, I would bet that your doctor would be much more likely to trust you in the future if you come clean with him, than if he busted you tampering with a drug test.

Only you can decide what you want to do, but I think you need to be honest with them. The best thing that could happen is for you to tell your doctor you are struggling and they would see it and up your dose to get you stable again. I know not all doctors feel that way, but it is what SHOULD happen in this situation.

Good luck!

Q