It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone..i am new here..i just wanted to vent a little and say that i am so glad i found this forum. Please forgive me if i am posting in the wrong section as i am still trying to find my way around the forum.. With that being said here it goes.i have been on bupe for 4 years and counting. I have always suffered from depression & anxiety my entire life. It's part of the reason i got addicted to opiates in the first place. I have been on many different antidepressants over the years and none have worked and the side effects were awful. I have been on zolft for 11 years now and it does nothing for me except when i go off of it, i freak out so i guess I'm pretty much stuck on it. I am also on gabapentin which barely works but it's also terrible to get off of it. Ever since i have started with the bupe, my moods have been u & down as well as the depression. I just want to be alive again, be able to feel, and enjoy life. I feel like there's no hope at all for me and it makes me feel worse but I can't help but to think that way. I'm always sleepy, cranky, irritable along with the depression feeling sad and sorry for myself. I haven't been on a real mood stabilizer yet (other than gabapentin which is off label mood stabilizer) so I'm wondering, is a mood stabilizer something that might work for me while on suboxone? I just don't want to deal with side effects again for no reason and put myself and my family through anymore stress. Thanks for reading. Look forward to hearing responses/advice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 pm 

Unfortunately, Jenna, we aren't equipped to make that kind of determination. All we could tell you is if one of us had the same symptoms and if there was something that works for that person. Treatment-resistant depressive disorders are very hard to crack for experienced clinicians, let alone folks on a recovery forum.

I know that one person here found a combination of sub and something else that works for him. His name is at the tip of my brain, but I can't quite remember. But I'm almost positive that the other med was zoloft. Obviously that wouldn't help you.

I've read some articles lately that vagus nerve stimulation may help around 30% of sufferers of treatment-resistant depression. You might want to look into that.

I would think that the best thing to do would be to meet with a psychiatrist, go through all the meds you've tried, all the combinations, then see what he or she says. There are new psychotropic drugs being put on the market every year. Maybe one of them will be a good fit.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jenna. I'm with you on this. Suboxone doesn't seem to fix my depression either. I've had periods of recovery both on and off Suboxone, and it seems to me that I experience bouts of depression whether I'm on Suboxone or not. And I'm also on mood stabilisers (Lithium & Olanzapine) as well as an antidepressant (Brintellix). Like you I've tried many different antidepressants and the few that actually worked would eventually lose their effect over time.

I'm just theorising here. But I get the feeling that in my case the cause of my depression lies somewhere apart or deeper than where conventional anti-depressants and Suboxone work in the brain. A new field of research is indicating that bipolar may be a disorder with origins in the mitochondria - ie the little part of each cell that acts like a battery, providing the energy for the neuron to communicate with other neurons. Most depression treatments act on the synapse - the little gap between neurons. If this theory has any merit, then it makes sense that conventional antidepressants won't have any lasting effect on bipolar depression because they don't actually treat the cause of the depression.

It's a new field so we have a few years at least to wait for any solid breakthroughs. But it does seem to offer an explanation as to why bipolar depression is so hard to treat.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys for reading and responding. I know i have lots of work to do...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:45 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi there! Responding to let you know that you are not alone. I too, became addicted to opiates because of depression. I was prescribed them for physical pain and eventually started taking more because it also helped the psychological pain (at least for a short period of time).

I have been on dozens of SSRI's, SNRI's, mood stabilizers and more. Some helped better than others but nothing seemed to do the trick.

The ONLY thing that has helped me tremendously is CBT therapy. I fought the idea of therapy for so long, especially since the few times I had tried, I received such little relief. To be honest, sometimes it made me feel worse. Then, almost 2 years ago, I met with a CBT therapist early on in my recovery. To make a long story short, it was my thought process causing my depression. Getting overly anxious about things, obsessing,m and just the way I handled situations in general. In true CBT, you practice and re-train your brain to react/think in a way that ultimately brings you peace. It's not perfect by any means and doesn't happen overnight. It takes work but it's the only thing that has greatly improved my quality of life.

*hugs*