It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Verdana] First off, I want to say that I have been on Suboxone (with several unsuccessful
attempts@going off of it) for almost seven years. (Please do not bash me for this.)
Anyway, both my doctor and I have discovered that the bupe does, indeed,
considerably help my severe depression. (I was diagnosed with this depression in 1989, and
I am now 41 yrs. old.) I am also currently taking two antidepressants- Celexa in the A.M.,
and Trazadone at night to help me sleep. However, these alone do not seem to help
my severe depression, without the addition of the bupe (Suboxone). As well, it also seems to
act as sort of a mood-stabilizer- (I am also diagnosed with Bi-polar Disorder).
I just thought that I would share my experience with Suboxone, regarding how it helps my
depression, over an almost seven-year time period.
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First I highly doubt anyone here will have any issues with you being on sub for 7 years. This site just isn't like that.

As for the sub helping with your depression, I'm glad of that. I've heard of it helping others with their depression, too. I even remember a member some time ago whose depression was so bad and he had tried so many meds that he was at the end of his rope that he actually went on sub as a last resort. He never returned to update us though.

Coincidentally, I also take Celexa and Trazodone. But I also take two mood stabilizers (abilify and lamictal) that help me with my mood swings, as I still had issues with my life long major depression even with my sub treatment. Good on your for not having to take additional psych meds! I hope you continue to do well with your treatment. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: sdepression
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Helps with my depression too (I am currently on an SSRI and have been for years) I have noticed it evens out my moods, is calming and at times energizing. Unfortunately I am not sure it is a good idea to use it for this off-label unless you aren't having nasty side effects (just my opinion). I wish I could stay on mine longer but it has started to cause me fluid retention, weight gain, muscle jerks, nods when sitting and joint aches (not officially stated on drug insert as side effects) but definitely I have heard others state these too. Best of luck and I hope you are feeling well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree to exorphin. Buprenorphine certainly does have anti-depressant qualities about it, as do all opiates. I notice that I always get a mild mood-lift after I take my doses. But it also goes beyond that. Many of us first got addicted to opiates because they had some kind of "calmative" or positive anti-depressant effect on our mental health issues. However, being full agonists, things got out of control very quickly. Suboxone provides that effect, to a lesser degree, while being sustainable in the long term. It's really quite a profound drug like that.

But we should also be wary of its dangers too. If someone who's not previously been exposed to opioids gets put on Suboxone for depression, it could potentially be their introduction into the wider world of opioid addiction. And IMO, Suboxone is more difficult to taper off than the strongest of SNRI's. Imagine RB's hype-marketing department going nuts with a new indication like that? "Grey skies? Have a Suboxone!"

That being said, I still have hope/faith that I will be able to manage my mental health & addiction issues without Suboxone one day. My addiction came as a result of untreated mental illness as a teen, bipolar type 1. Only in the last two years have I accepted I will need mood stabilisers for life, and that the doctors were right. Given I'm now treating the cause of my addiction, I'm hoping that I will not need to always medicate it. Ever since I fully accepted & adhered to my psych treatment, without self-medication, things have been improving in my life.

Post subject: Suboxone and Subutex???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anyone try both due to side effects from one? If so please share! I have been on suboxone small dose for 2 months but just recently began noticing some fluid retention. When I decrease my ose even a little bit the fluid retention and sore joints subside (or get a little better) Could it be the Naloxone even though it is "not absorbed"?????

Should I try subutex if the doc. will give it to me?? I also know it has helped with my depression. Anyone else? Seems to make me more "even keel" No highs or lows (I am not bi-polar by the way but suffer from chronic recurrent major depression) I know there have been studies done on this and some docs agree it helps with the kappa receptors and the thought is it helps with depression.

Anyone see this: www.naabt.org/newsletter/feb2007/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have no idea u2star as to whether naloxone may cause your fluid retention problems. But it's smart to remove as many factors as possible to isolate the cause, so switching to Subutex may be useful at least to experiment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i may have more problems than that on suboxone ". and my doc will not change me to subatex
just because of that. to risky?

Post subject: No switch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

johnboy wrote:
i may have more problems than that on suboxone ". and my doc will not change me to subatex
just because of that. to risky?

What are your issues johnboy? I spoke with my doc too and she will not switch me to subutex. he says she never prescribes it (I am guessing because of abuse/sell potential) Wish I could try it. Getting rid of the Naloxone couldn't hurt. Some of it has to be absorbed I don't care if it is a small amount.