It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Detox - Help!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a long-term heroin user. I have been in a suboxone program for almost two years, but continued using H (usually once or twice a week). The suboxone allowed me to not have to use everyday and allowed me to function in my job. Of course I eventually was found out at work and lost my job. They offered to pay for treatment as a "going away" gift. This would help secure me a decent reference. I decided to take advantage of the offer, which I would never be able to afford on my own. I will be starting treatment soon. The facility insisted that I be stepped down from 8mg to 4mg before I get there. My doctor just said take Day 1-1/2pill, Day 2-1/2 pill, Day 3-1/4pill and then I'm done. I had never really experienced W/D from suboxone when I wouldn't take my pill for a day or 2. I had no problem stepping down but I did it a lot slower than he recommended. I was down to 1/4pill every other day. I was feeling confident about treatment not expecting to experience any real W/D symptoms. I took my last 1/4 pill last Saturday and on Monday afternoon started feeling really terrible, Tuesday even worse, Wednesday(today)unbearable. Mostly it is the insomnia with the leg/body pains, chills, and extreme anxiety. I didn't sleep since Monday. I used hot baths every hour to help the pain. I couldn't get any more suboxone until next Monay. When I called my doctor's office, his staff told me he took me off for treatment (I expected to go a couple of weeks ago). I asked what I was to do and that I couldn't handle this state. I was seriously considering suicide as a reasonable alternative :cry: . All of the internet sites were scaring the hell out of me with comments about 2-4 weeks of w/d. I told them I was at the point of going to the emergency room. They told me I wouldn't get Sub at the emergency room, but I go there if I wanted to. It was either the emergency room or driving 3 hours to get methadone off the street. I went to the emergency room. They called my doctor who told them to discharge me and send me up for a script to get me by until treatment. THANK GOD! I needed even the smallest amount of relief. In 1/2 hour I was feeling completely myself again but scared to death of going through another sub detox. The treatment facility may maintain me on a small amount, but I'm sure the objective is to wean me off completely. I am only going for up to 28 days, so I don't know what to expect. I guess it is better to have assistance when dealing with this. I am shocked and confused that the drug that has been a lifesaver(literally) is betraying me in the end. I didn't expect and wasn't prepared for any w/d. Does anyone know if there is any medical detox for suboxone. Even if it is not done in the facility I may consider doing it myself with meds off the street. For instance, I have been put on Methadone for three days during heroin detox. Because it was only for 3 days, I didn't get hooked on the methadone. Could that work for Suboxone and if so how long and how much would you have to take? I am desperate for this information. I would like to stop the Suboxone because of the cost and the hassle of dr. appts and scripts. Since I am not re-employed yet this is probably the best time to detox. I don't know if I could handle two weeks of what I went through this week. However, the blog comments are correct when saying that it is milder that opiate detox, but lasting much longer. Not knowing what to expect and how to get through it are really messing with my confident in becoming completely drug free. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry my post is so long-I never do this (I desperate).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I understand correctly, the concern is that they may keep you on a low dose of sub while in treatment and you are concerned about coming off of the sub after treatment? If this is the case, I would ask them to get you off the sub while in treatment because they have all kinds of non-addictive drugs to help you detox and rehab would be the best place to do it in my opinion. It is a safe environment. They can give you clonidine and ativan and basically treat each symptom as it comes. Just keep lowering your dose until you go. Taper very slowly (read some of the taper threads). The physical withdrawals, even when jumping off a very high dose, are quite manageable with these other drugs in my opinion. I have done it and it wasn't the physical withdrawal that got me, it was the PAWS. The other nice thing about rehab is that it keeps you mind occupied constantly because they don't give you a whole lot of free time for your mind to get going.

If I didn't understand you correctly, please clarify for me and I can adjust my response accordingly.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:50 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

:cry: I feel sad for you!! I am on my third day of no subutex but I am doing ok but he anxiety is the worst. This is crazy and I hope you get better soon, I would detox off the subuxone in rehad, they can give you comfort meds to get you thorugh, you got a real gift from this company and i would take it and try your life around, I would have loved to go away somewhere.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for the replies. I feel a lot better about going in to treatment. I now have some things that I can ask about. Good luck to you!