home 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
rehab 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxone, opiate dependence

Details:

Hi everyone. I have been on suboxone for a year and it has worked wonderfully for me but i know that i am at a point in my life where i no longer want to rely on a pill everyday. I originally went on it for a bad Oxycontin addiction(5 80mg tabs a day), (first was on methadone for 10 months) and i cant say that I'm cured of my addiction, but I'm pretty sure that if I get off the subs ill stay clean off drugs. I weaned myself down to 2 to 4 mg a day of Suboxone and have been on that dose for about 4 months. I'm just wondering what to expect of the withdrawal and how long the really bad part (goosebumps, sweating, aching,) will last. I keep trying to not take the subs and start the detox process but my anxiety gets the best of me so i end up taking it. Also, I called a rehab place and I have the option of doing a 6 day inpatient but they use methadone and that seems kinda pointless to get of suboxone. Any input anybody has on this would be appreciated. Ive been addicted to opiates for 7 years and used everyday(suboxone and methadone the last 2 years) and i'm just kinda nervous and scared and don't know what to expect the upcoming days, weeks and months. All your stories will be appreciated. Thanks Everyone

My first official detox day is going to be Monday whether i check in to an inpatient clinic or do it at home

Success stories would be especially appreciated because everything i find online doesnt seem too promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi rhodeislandchic and welcome to the forum,

I'm curious why you decided to jump off the suboxone from your current dose instead of doing a long, slow taper? From everything I've read/heard a taper seems to have much better results for both acute and post-acute withdrawals. And the easier the withdrawals are the less chance one has of going back on the sub - at least that's how I see it. You can find many taper stories here.

That said, you will also find people here who have jumped from a higher dose and still report that their withdrawals were manageable, especially compared to full agonist withdrawals. So whichever way it's done, my understanding is that there is no need for going in-patient to come of off bupe. In-patient detox will take you from your life for 6 days and won't it cost a hell of a lot of money? (Or does insurance cover it? I have no idea.) Remember, this is just one addict's opinion. Just keep in mind that the worse the person expects the w/d's to be, the worse they usually end up being. So whatever method you decide to use to go off sub, I'd advise keeping a positive attitude and make sure you get lots of exercise. I've read that helps a lot. If you do decide to stay at home will you have access to "comfort meds" to help you along?

There are other things like making sure you have a healthy overall recovery plan in place to deal with cravings and triggers, new coping skills, etc. Because remember, it's STAYING "clean" that's the hardest part, not getting "clean".

I wish you the very best. Please keep us posted on your plan. Different methods of coming off suboxone can always be helpful to other people, so I'd encourage you to write about your "exit strategy".

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.