It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone in Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,

I am posting this in hopes of finding some real information on suboxone doctors in Canada. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of places/doctors that prescribe sub in Canada?

I am a Canadian who been living in the states for many years. I had to move back home quickly, in the midst of my suboxone treatment. I just got home with only 5 pills left (US doc wouldn't change my refill date) and really need to get cracking. So far, all I;ve found is a wealth of uncertain and often incorrect info. For example, many sites say that sub is ONLY dispensed like methadone (ie - daily) and that there are only 2 doctors in all of Ontario that even prescribe it?

Is there anyone out there who can steer me in the right direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe this will help:

Quote:
Buprenorphine/Suboxone/Subutex prescription: Schering Canada is now marketing Suboxone. It is
recommended that individuals seeking the drug should get a physician to call Schering Canada
directly on their behalf (1-800-463-5442). Below is contact information in case your physician is
interested in prescribing Suboxone:
Suboxone Education Program: 1-800-463-5442
For the most current information, contact your provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons:
http://www.cfpc.ca/English/cfpc/chapter ... lt.asp?s=1

From Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse

The site has tons of info, you should check it out. Under the Knowledge Center menu there's a topic on how to get treatment.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much for your reply!

I spent the better part of the morning on the phone with Cdn Center for Sub Abuse and a few others. It's amazing how different sub is handled here! There is one methadone clinic about an hour from here that may be able to fit me in, but it is dispensed exactly the wyt methadone is, daily dispensal with earned carries. I will have to find a way to make this work for right now, as the next closest option is 4 hours away (although they are willing to see me once a week, as opposed to daily). I am almost wondering about driving across the border if I can find a doc in NY who will prescribe a month at a time.

I fins this all very interesting because I always thought of Canada as being 'ahead' when it came to dealing with issues of drug addiction. The attitude here, as I discussed with the nurse, seems to be one of fear and suspicion when it comes to the suboxone, although it could simply be due to the fact that sub is a much newer treatment option here. I certainly hope it will become more accessible to Canadians soon!

I'm just wondering if there are many Canuks on this site, and if so, would you be willing to share your experiences with suboxone doctors and pharmacies?

Thanks all!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there,

As a fellow Canadian and opiate addict I can truly relate. The suboxone program here is dismal at best. It took a lot of hunting around but I finally found a doctor by the name of Dr. Mark A Greenberg in North York, Ontario (about 15 minutes from Toronto) who runs a family practice and ALSO does addiction treatment at his office. Our options here in Canada are very limited. It's mostly methadone clinics who offer sub treatment but really "push" the methadone on you when you inquire about it as I've experienced firsthand. They won't even tell you sub is an option unless you ask. For various reasons I didn't want to have to go to a methadone clinic every day for my dose. The doctor I spoke to on the phone who I will be meeting in a week and a half for my induction says that initially I WILL have to go to a pharmacy near my house every day to get my dose but once he see's that I'm doing well on the sub I will be able to get a prescription to take home. That's not too bad and I like the idea of not having to go to a methadone clinic. When I walk in there for all anyone would know I'm there for a sore throat, like I said, its a family practice he operates. But the way things are done here are a stark contrast to the states where an online friend of mine started off getting a months supply at a time! I can see why they would be so strict with methadone here but it seems silly to have the same ball and chain type restrictions placed on sub. I think diversion with sub is probably almost non exisitent here. Methadone though is another story.

I would really like to start an online database for my fellow Canadians to make finding a sub doctor much, much easier. In the US there is such a database but in Canada it's ridiculous trying to find a doctor who has even knowledge of sub let alone prescribes it!! I believe many more Canadians who are suffering the stranglehold of opiate addiction would seek help if they only knew how to find it. Many addicts I've talked to here in Canada never even heard of suboxone! Our government needs to be far more proactive with educating people on their options for treatment and making it easy to find doctors who provide sub treatment. Furthermore, coming up with some kind of incentive to encourage more doctors to provide suboxone would be a good idea.

If any Canadian is having a hard time finding a sub doc email me and I'll try and hunt one down for you. :)

I am starting my sub treatment May 11th and can't wait!! I have been doing tons of reading on sub and when I can (yes I'm that broke) I'll be downloading the e-book by Dr.Junig. I've heard it's an amazing resource on the subject so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi free bird,

I think you are the same person that I responded to in the naabt forum. I am also from Canada and I know what you mean about finding a doctor in Canada that will prescribe sub. When I first started searching over a year ago, I could not find one doctor in all of Ontario. There were two in BC, but that's all I could find. I tried to go across the border to find a doctor but that did not owrk out either as they confiscated the sub, when I tried to bring it back over the border. That was extremely frustrating.

I finally went to my family doctor, and between he and my pharmacist they worked it out that as long as he would prescribe it for pain, I could get my sub. Also he has been my doctor for over 20 years and knows of the struggle I was having with addiction. I had just gone through cancer and was taking huge amounts of both hydromorphcontin and oxycontin. My doc was prescribing me hydropmorphcontin at the time I asked him to switch me to sub. He was more than happy to help me out at the time.

Even after I got the sub, I really struggled as I was still in a ton of pain, so I relapsed several times. My doctor does not know about my relapses as I was very afraid he would take my scripts of sub away. After talking to a lot of people I figured out how to dose my sub so it would handle my pain a lot better, and since then have been doing a lot better.

I am happy to hear that you found a doctor. I also found the clinic in Toronto that would take me as a patient, but I am about 3 hours away from Toronto and there was no way I could drive to To every day. I also have a lot of friends that are severely addicted (mostly my cancer friends that got addicted to oxycontin) and they cannot find a doctor in this area to prescribe sub. My doctor cannot prescribe it to anyone else, as he had to get special permission to even prescribe it to me.

I have got to get ready for work, but will check in a little later to see how you are doing. You are making the right decision to get on suboxone. Once I got stabilized I felt so much better and have been able to work on getting my life back in order as I made ahuge mess, especially financially.

All the best, and it's really good to finally chat with another Canadian.

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there,

Nice to meet yet another Canadian, it sounds like you really struggled to get on subs. | felt so bad for you when I read the part about the border guys confiscating your sub. You must have been mortifed!! I'm glad you finally got a doctor to prescribe it to you. Maybe he could take the 6 hour course and be able to help the other people you mentioned. It's seems so unfair that there are so many people wanting this treatment but are essentially denied it for lack of access. Maybe an online petition should be started to convince our oh so slow government officials to make some big changed to the limited availabilty of suboxone. I'm curious as to your dosing schedule for pain. I've read people in pain dissolve small parts of the pill throughout the day to address the pain issue but I'm not sure. Maybe you could pm me the details and I can run it by my doctor. And I'm pretty new to sub but how can anyone relapse on it? doesn't it block out all other opiates? Anyhow sorry for the many questions I'm just learning along the way :) Great to meet you and I hope sub works as well for me as it does so many other people here. I'm going to wait anywhere from 24-30 hours, I know from my past detox that I'll be good and sick by then. And to the other poster, yes PAWS is what got me bad. Depression and anxiety like I'd never experienced before. It was horrible to feel that way day after day. I was a basketcase and just couldn't do it anymore. By going the suboxone route my plan is to address the issues that haunt me, the ones I need to numb myself from and hopefully one day when I'm ready to come off being without anything won't be so painful because I will have dealt with those issues and learned new coping skills for stress. Thanks and God bless!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hi again,

I thought I would check and see how you are doing today. I am sure that you are really looking forward to getting started on your sub treatment. Just take the time you have to read all the information you can find so you know exactly what to expect. Dr. Junig has a ton of information in his Talk Zone and also has several videos that you can watch. This is in my opinion the best forum for sub and the people here are awesome and will be a great support for you.

I really doubt my doctor will want to take on any more sub patients. He is mostly doing it as a favour for me because I have known him for a very long time and he knew how desperate I was for help when i approached him about treating me. He has told me several times how much he has learned about addiction because of me. I used to lie to him all the time about different aches and pains to get him to prescribe me narcotics. Anyway, he is getting close to retiring and already has more patients than he wants, which makes me really nervous about what I will do when he does retire. I just hope by then there are more doctors prescribing sub than there are now.

As far as my relapses, I just stopped taking my sub for a few days to allow the oxy to work, but yes, the sub would block the opiates otherwise. At the time sub was not helping at all with my pain because I was talking 16mg all at once in the morning. I have since found out that if you take small doses, 1 or 2mg every four hours that it works better for pain. Sub is a really strange drug meaning that "less is more" and it works best a low doses. Everyone is different though and what would be a good dose for me, may not be for you. For pain though, I think there is a general concsensus that the smaller doses several times a day are better.

I am looking forward to getting to know you. I would also be interested in starting some kind of campaign or anything that would help other addicts that are in desperate need in finding a sub doctor. I know of at least 8 other people that want help and keep relapsing and the only option they had had is to go to a methadone clinic. I have had to do that myself for a short period of time, and it was awful.

Hope to talk to you again soon. I see that you posted in the Introductions thread so will continue posting to you there.

Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I can totally relate to everything you all said. I'm in BC, which is even worse than ON. Yes, we sure are in the dark ages
about Sub. Both the US and Aust. had it in 2000.

I was looking for a doctor for 2 years or so, after I got in major trouble with Oxycodone, prescribed by my GP for a long-standing, but fairly mild, chronic pain problem.

It turns out that my addiction issues were still active (although I had 20 years clean off cocaine), and being addictive to Oxy also severely intensified my chronic depression. The solution became the problem.

I also feel very bad for all the thousands/millions of people in Canada that need better help than methodone, but have no
idea that Sub exists.
Right now, I'm finally finally on a waiting list for a pain/addiction doctor. As well, the pain dr. that is referring me is also
taking the training, so then I will have TWO Sub doctors!

I would love to be in contact with anyone who wants the same. Also, I have an important question: Does anyone know if
Canada will be paying the generic rate for Sub? It's going generic in the US, but don't know if that includes Canada?

Would much appreciate any info on the subject, and if/when I hear, I will post the info.
Take care, everyone,
Hugs,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everybody,

This is my first time posting, I just registered. I live in Toronto and have been on suboxone since November 2009.

I had no prior experience with anything like it, I had never had any methadone either. I thought it was going to be hard to find a doctor that would be able to get me on it fast, I was expecting a long wait but that was not the case.

I was referred from a friend who went the suboxone route, he told me about his doctor who is my current one and it couldn't of gone better. I was given 10mg in total the very first day. two 2mg tablets, and then two hours later I got another two 2mg tablets, all the way up to 10mg. I ended up with one 8mg tablet, and one 2mg tablet.

If anybody is in the east end of Toronto look up Dr.Kumar Kelkar, he works at ACT Toronto. (Addiction Centre Toronto)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
To all of you that simply cannot get sub treatment, since its dispensed the same as methadone I dont see why you wouldnt just get on the methadone, the only reason Im on sub is because I could get a months take home almost right away, if I had to dose it daily at a clinic I would of gotten on methadone. Methadone has been around forever and is tried and true and has helped tons of people get out of active addiction. There is nothing wrong with taking methadone and should be no shame either, it works as good or better than sub at addressing cravings, I am on suboxone right now and am actualy considering switching to methadone for that very reason. If you are struggling with your addiction and sub is not an option get on the methadone and it will help you get your life back, also although methadone does carry a very long bad withdrawal it can be slowly tapered off of if you decide to, getting off suboxone is no picnic either. I just hate to see people struggling with addiction not considering methadone as an option probably mostly in part due to the bad rap and stigma methadone has gotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was forced to go the methadone route initially by my doc who wasn't convinced I was an addict - he put me on methadone pills for pain management. On methadone I was in a fog and I really didn't like that. Yes it worked much better for me in terms of cravings but feeling like a zombie wasn't what I wanted. I just started sub recently and although it's been a difficult adjustment period this time, I'd still rather put up with that for a little while then go on methadone. Also, my doc lets me have a weeks supply at a time. He has from day 1 actually. He's a great doctor and truly cares about his patients (and kinda cute too lol, that doesn't hurt!) I guess everyone's different and needs to take what works for them. I would never knock anyone for taking methadone but for me personally it wasn't the right choice. I feel more "with it" on suboxone. Actually some days I would rather be on the full agonist for my pain issues but all in all I feel sub is better for ME and I am far more clear headed on it. As someone who's been on both, I prefer sub. I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive!! It costs me 200 bucks a month to be on it but I guess when I look at what I was spending on oxy it's a bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quite a lot has changed in Canada over the past year or so. If you are or anyone else is still looking for help in Ontario, look up the OATC Site (Ontario Addiction Treatment Centers) Which gives a list of all the Treatment centers that do both methodone and suboxebe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font][size=12] [/size][color=brown] [/color][color=#444444] [/color

Does anyone know if extended health plans will pay for suboxone in Canada? I am starting my induction on Friday but before I truly commit to it I want to know if I will be footing the bill in the long run.

Thanks,
RM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Any idea what to do if the only Methadone clinic in your city isn't currently accepting new patients?
I'm in school, have no car, and not many options it would seem.

At the height of a hydromorphone addiction I went in, and was told that I couldn't receive treatment. Pretty fucking disheartening.

Last edited by zensual on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i found one in downtown vancouver(pm me for name), really nice doc and the pharmacy thats connected to it is very very nice no judgement where's the pharmacy in saveway looks down upon you because your on suboxone....
I get a script for 3 weeks, weekly dispensed its not that bad and luckily in BC we have 'pharmanet' which pays for some scripts.

I don't pay a penny for my subs just 60$/month for the clinic fee's(most of that goes towards the urine test im pretty sure as they only want a sample once a month)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Should have specified that I'm in southern ontario, 45 min from TO, but thank you for attempting to help nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

zensual wrote:
Any idea what to do if the only Methadone clinic in your city isn't currently accepting new patients?
I'm in school, have no car, and not many options it would seem.

At the height of a hydromorphone addiction I went in, and was told that I couldn't receive treatment. Pretty fucking disheartening.

that is almost like murder if you ask me! Have u tried going to the hospital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

honestly tho a pill addiction is way easier to get off than say the similar time but heroin...

If i was just using pills I would just CT it with a shit load of benzo's and weed for the 2-4 days...

Suboxone definitely would get you more addicted to its self and its withdrawals last twice aslong....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm also interested in finding a Suboxone prescribing Doc as I'm determined to get off a massive morphine habit. I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

tierre0 wrote:
Quite a lot has changed in Canada over the past year or so. If you are or anyone else is still looking for help in Ontario, look up the OATC Site (Ontario Addiction Treatment Centers) Which gives a list of all the Treatment centers that do both methodone and suboxebe.

I searched through this whole website and didn't find any mention of suboxone... they list a whole bunch of their clinics but they specifically call them "methadone clinics" and plus they don't list any that are near my area... closest one is a 35mins drive away.

If I were to drive to a center out of town, and meet with a doctor there, could they write me a script which I could then get filled anywhere? As in like a pharmacy around the corner from my house? Or does it depend on the pharmacy as well? Can pharmacies refuse to fill my script and call me an addict and throw me out? Really desperate to get off my addiction but this is my first time doing anything like this and I'm really having some huge anxiety about this :(