It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Usually methadone clinics have docs that script both atleast mine does in van

They were even nice enough to write me a emergency week long script when I had missed my appointment ( started working graveyard) prior to that I never had dirty ua except the first one when it had to be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

604 wrote:
Usually methadone clinics have docs that script both atleast mine does in van

They were even nice enough to write me a emergency week long script when I had missed my appointment ( started working graveyard) prior to that I never had dirty ua except the first one when it had to be

Thanks for that...

Since my last post I had an appointment with a Dr. at a methadone clinic. He talked to me like I was a child and didn't know anything about narcotics, and felt he had to explain to me how they worked and why they were addictive... :roll: it's like buddy I know, that's why I'm here. I asked him about Suboxone and he said they didn't do it there. Just methadone. He said he thought maybe one other place in town that prescribed it. I had to leave for a meeting with my prof and so I had to cut our session short. So I wasn't an actual intake that day. We made another appointment for yesterday morning... it was before clinic hours, really early. I was assured that this was an exception and that I should call the day before if I couldn't make it. I showed up, but the door was locked, and everyone was looking at me like I was a tool for showing up that early... so I just left. I didn't have a good experience there anyway. Wish I'd asked for more info on that Sub clinic in the city. No amount of Google searching yields any results.

And anyway, I think I'm going to just quit cold turkey. I've read on some other forums that w/d from sub is much harder than w/d from opiates themselves. My source will be leaving the country for a few weeks and so this seems like a really good time for it. I can just isolate myself and go crazy for a week or so... only one shift per week at work right now anyway so it's not a big deal if I miss one or two shifts. Everything I need is within walking distance... might borrow a family member's cat to keep me company and give me a reason to get out of bed every day. Anyway... I'll probably start a w/d thread on another site and I can post a link here if anyone cares/is interested/wants to offer support. I'll need it, as I'm not telling anyone about this. Thanks for all the info that was posted here, you guys are great. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Seems like finding a doctor who prescribes Suboxone in Canada is getting a little easier. Still nothing like the US though, which seems almost too easy to get a script as long as you are willing to pay. I had to plead my case at an opiate treatment center in Montreal 2 years ago. The standard protocol in Quebec is to put people on Methadone. And Suboxone is only an option if Methadone does not work for the patient (health wise). It is possible. You really have to fight for it though. In Quebec, there are a very limited number of doctors who can prescribe Suboxone. Resulting in long waiting lists. Almost becomes like a lottery. And the help is not there when you really need it. My doctor recently told me things are starting to change. But the change is slow in coming.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

the problem with suboxone in canada has been on the federal level. we have the harper government to thank for that....he, in his very - - - uncanadian way - - - has taken it upon himself to move addicts from the idea of "medical" to "jail". why spend money on things like treatment when you can build mega jails even tho the americans are pleading with him "THEY DON'T WORK".

this is june of 2013, i live just off top left of lake superior, pop 108,000, we have 7 methadone/suboxne clincs - none of this is misleading info.

first issue is if you go to a public or private clinic.
second issue is insurance.

if you go to a public clinic you're going to have to hold on for at the very least another 6 months, but probably 1 to 1.5 years. if it's a private clinic, as soon as you can get in, you can get it now.

why the public clinics don't offer it?
right now the issue has to do with insurance, and OHIP (i don't know what they're called outside of ontario) being unable to pay for it except in the most dire of circumstances i.e methadone allergy, methadone makes you so depressed you try and kill yourself etc etc - it has to be bad, real bad. and this being a partly *oh no* socialsit country, until everyone can have access to it, nobody can have access to it. (that's why i left, and went to a pay doc...BUT ONLY because i have kick ass private insurance too, thru husbands work)

the private clinics -
in ontario they're springing up like the plauge. they can't build them fast enough to meet the demand. these places, everythings taken care of except the cost of the drug. and the cost of the drug varies alot.
for instance, the first 2 days on sub i used the pharmacy right beside my new clinic - it cost me $16 for 8mg each day. i then transfer'd to my 24hr pharmacy where i got my methadone (and where my insurance was set up just didn't bother with the other pharmacy) it now costs 75 cents/day. if i didn't have insurance, this pharmacy would charge me $8 a day regardless of the dose. to make it more complicated, you have the clinics that depense the drugs on site - i dunno what they charge......

and last - yes, you have to go to the clinic every day, just like methadone, until you prove you have clean pee. apparently you get the carries a whole lot quicker tho. like, real fast.....and i think you get a lot more of them too.....
i'll let you know.

canada, at the moment, does not treat suboxone lightly. they've watched what's been going on in america and decided to keep it on a tight leash until you're stable. oh, and subutex - not in a million years. it'd be easier to get a prescription for heroin.

stace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

suboxOWNED wrote:
To all of you that simply cannot get sub treatment, since its dispensed the same as methadone I dont see why you wouldnt just get on the methadone, the only reason Im on sub is because I could get a months take home almost right away, if I had to dose it daily at a clinic I would of gotten on methadone. Methadone has been around forever and is tried and true and has helped tons of people get out of active addiction. There is nothing wrong with taking methadone and should be no shame either, it works as good or better than sub at addressing cravings, I am on suboxone right now and am actualy considering switching to methadone for that very reason. If you are struggling with your addiction and sub is not an option get on the methadone and it will help you get your life back, also although methadone does carry a very long bad withdrawal it can be slowly tapered off of if you decide to, getting off suboxone is no picnic either. I just hate to see people struggling with addiction not considering methadone as an option probably mostly in part due to the bad rap and stigma methadone has gotten.

Most people just don't want to go the Methadone route. I didnt, I think if there was absolutely no chance at all of getting Suboxone, YEA I would do it. But I do understand where people are coming from, Methadone to me carries more risks than advantages. I have watched alot of documentaries and just seen how Methadone can do someone who is just barely taking it. My mother in law was just taking the bare minimum to keep pain away because she was prescribed 5 a day and might take one a day if that much, when they cut her off cold turkey she felt like she was dying. She was having cold sweats, fever, leg jerks, and this is someone who had 2 steel rods, 8 screws, 5 metal cages in her back. She did NOT need that pain and withdrawal, and this was someone who could withstand a TON of pain more than any person that I have ever seen in my lifetime. Methadone does get a bad rap like Suboxone and yes I understand that they both have bad and good things with them. However, we all have a choice in the medication that we take to get better. I myself prefer the Suboxone because it is easier to get and take on a monthly basis. Around here, Methadone clinics are few and far between and they make you do the daily dosage thing. It takes upwards of six months to get just one day of take home dosing. There is no way that someone like me who lives say 45 minutes from the place can do that every day. My doctor is letting me come ONLY when my prescription runs out, if it is a month or three. He does check in on me from time to time to see how things are doing. It is just a personal preference, Suboxone is more private to me. I personally dont want to run into someone that I know at the clinic. Not fussing just throwing my two cents in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 pm 
This post was deleted due to troll activity. The rest of yellowdog's posts will be deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ah, winningduhepic, I presume.

For those of you who weren't aware, diamorphine is Heroin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And for the ones who are "oh so overjoyed" at heroin maintenance, while it does exist, it exists in a realm that's NOTHING like methadone or Suboxone treatment. And it's trials, they are conducting trials to see what happens...
Quote:
While the British system trusts the patient with weekly prescriptions, other countries had to impose stronger restrictions to avoid diversion to the illegal market. Patients there have to appear twice a day at a treatment center where they inject their doses of diamorphine under the supervision of medical staff. To avoid withdrawal symptoms in between injections, most patients are given an additional daily dose of methadone.

In the Netherlands, both injectable Diamorphine HCl as injectable salt in dry ampoules as well as Heroin base with 5-10% caffeine for vaporisation are available, both are to be taken twice daily in a supervised setting and will be accompanied with a daily take home dosage of methadone for the evening.

In Switzerland patients may be allowed to appear only once a day and receive part of their diamorphine in pill form for oral consumption. This is possible only after a six-month period and is usually granted only if necessary to hold down a job.

In most cases, the people are given methadone to take home. Who has a job that will let them go do their heroin twice a day?(Britain, Netherlands)

What about 6 months of going twice a day before only have to go once a day, and part of the treatment is heroin in pill-form?(Switzerland)?

Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark and the United Kingdom are the only places it's allowed.... Additional trials are being carried out in Canada and Belgium.

Hmm...I'm not saying the US is on the right track..but has anyone heard lately how the economy is going across the pond? Last I heard it wasn't too good...I gotta guess having a certain percentage of junkies performing work has a bearing on that.
Bottom line, this will never be an accepted practice here in America, whether people accept it or not...it just aint gonna happen. It's basically the government condoning illicit drug use, and we won't see that here. So, if someone wants to uproot their entire family, and head to one of the 4 countries above to see how life goes over there....good luck.
The way I see it, without any proof of these so-called "long-term health issues" it would be a pointless move and very costly just to go get some gubment heroin. So..trying to convince others that the justification of heroin use relies on other countries and their choices...well that's quite immature. It's like kids saying they want a toy because some other kids have the same toy...

"wahh...I wanna be high on heroin because them other countries let people be high on heroin..it just ain't fair {angry foot-stomp temper tantrum}.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am 
Content deleted from banned member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:17 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

(edit) I see the first post was deleted sometime yesterday or this morning...so the staff is onto this game...
When a person joins and the first thing they do is come into a thread like this one, and start posting about how great heroin maintenance is...well that's a dead giveaway...whether you're the same troll or not...it just shows what kind of member you're going to be. You prefer to stir trouble and instead of being a supportive member of the site, you'd rather be pushing your agenda that you've said in your own mind is the only one that there should be...
Like it or not, people have options..and most choose a path of living a clean life...people don't like your agenda because it's not the cleanest possible way to live. No one wants to have to go inject themselves with meds daily for God knows how long...that's not getting away from the triggers which people become addicted to..I've never shot, but anyone who's banged will usually say they are addicted to the needle. It's a trigger. And if they are daily pushing a needle into their veins, they aren't helping the addictive tendency that led to their addiction spiraling out of control to begin with..they are just keeping it at bay...
So..why don't you try and look at it from someone's point of view besides your own...which is obviously a struggle, it seems that this person is VERY narrow-minded....take that as you may. You come here, over and over, 3 to 4 times a week with different nicks, and ALWAYS say the same thing. That's a narrow mind..you cannot fathom anything but what you want to get across, and can't imagine things being any different than what you think they should be. The elevator either doesn't reach the top, or gets stuck on the same floor every time...whatever it may be, you are pegged by the first post, and it's obvious you won't be here long with that attitude and ignorance of the rules of this site.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 pm 

I'd like to make a request. When we figure out that a troll is spewing obnoxious content, please do not quote the content. If you do quote the content, the mods are put in the awkward position of editing the post of a member in good standing. Jonathan, could you please clean up your posts in this section? If you don't get around to doing it by tonight, no problem, I'll do it for you.

Thanks muchly,

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I'd like to make a request. When we figure out that a troll is spewing obnoxious content, please do not quote the content. If you do quote the content, the mods are put in the awkward position of editing the post of a member in good standing. Jonathan, could you please clean up your posts in this section? If you don't get around to doing it by tonight, no problem, I'll do it for you.

Thanks muchly,

Amy

You'll have to do it for me...after 120mins, it doesn't allow users to modify/delete their posts. I tried and got errors on every post ...feel free to either delete the entire post, or edit out the quotes...really no point in my reply to him being here at all...I was hoping someone would catch it yesterday morning before it spiraled out like it did ..seems like he got an unsuspecting member on the same train of thought as him with the crap he posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm 

Always happy to learn new things. I was away from my computer yesterday so I did the best I could. Maybe if our regular members didn't respond to trolls, but sent a PM to a mod instead we could get on it quicker and the troll posts would go nowhere. Fortunately he only infected one thread before I deactivated him this time.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you're referring to me, I would just like it to be known that I am not on the same train of thought as him.