It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I just thought I'd share my experience with this, as I couldn't find a direct answer to my question anywhere so I just used my best judgement, which worked out well for me this time. I am on 8mgs/d of sub currently, and had to have a medical procedure done today that required pain medication. I took 4mgs of sub this a.m, about 6 or 7 hrs before I was administered a fair dosage of fentanyl (the nurse told me it was enough to put a "normal" person down for the count) and it didn't help me at all! In fact afterwards they told me what a trooper I was because they could tell the drug had little to no effect on me. Thank God we're only talking about a 15 or so min procedure cuz I was in some serious f*cking pain. But yeah, I could just barely feel the slightest bit of that glow of opiates for about 4 seconds when they pushed the fentanyl in the IV and then nadda..nothing. They told me beforehand to take all my meds, including the sub, they made that very clear, as I'd offered to scale back on it for 24 hrs prior to help the pain med work better, but they said not necessary. Well damn, if I'd known that much bupe was gunna TOTALLY and completely block the fentanyl I would have ignored them.

About 30 mins after the procedure, I started feeling like I was in mild WDs but I wanted to wait a bit to let any fentanyl that might be (uselessly) sitting on my opioid receptors work its way out... But it just got worse and worse, goosebumps, chills, yawning.. you know the drill. It was the first time in a very long time that I have really felt WDs... I made it about 4 hours, then took my other 4mgs. I felt a lil funky after it dissolved and had some ringing in the ears, but after about 10-15 mins I felt a lot better. I was gunna ask on here how long I should wait, but it worked out fine for me, considering fentanyl by IV like that has a pretty short half-life. I really feel though that all the fentanyl did was put me in WD... They should have taken my opiate addiction (which they were WELL aware of beforehand, as I said) into account. I trusted these people and I deserve pain management just like anybody else.
Lol they asked if I wanted a few tylenol 3's with codeine to take home for pain today and tonight and I told them to keep 'em...like those would have done anything for someone with my tolerance who's on suboxone pshh..
I've read on here that some people have had better luck with this sort of thing, and I'm glad they have professional doctors who actually care, but I'd still advise people to be cautious and to speak up about how they're feeling in regards to being on suboxone and needing pain medication or anesthesia that involves opiates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:34 am 

I hope you gave them plenty of feedback about how they "managed" your pain! It must have been incredibly frustrating to give them your medical history, tell them about the suboxone, etc., and still get no relief!

Something similar happened to me in December when I had a medical procedure done. The anesthesiologist did a good job putting me under and I stayed under, but when I woke I was in a lot of pain! The nurse in recovery was only able to give me a shot of medication every five minutes and I think she started with something fairly weak like morphine. It took her at least 4 injections to start to get my pain under control. The medical field needs more experience with suboxone patients!!!

Amy