It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey I haven't really posted much yet on this forum but I think its a great outlet and place to get knowledge and just to know you aren't alone!

K well first my backstory. I was addicted to heroin for ~a year before going on methadone. I stayed on that for a while until I got two carries (take-homes) but found it too sedating and "foggy". I stopped methadone (here my doctor made me wait 3 days with nothing. it was only horrible on the second day..) before a planned switched to suboxone @ 8mg. I am now half of that @ 4mg planning to move down further. I have found the process empowering but think it is time to move on with my life. :o

Anyway my real question deals with the effects of mixing suboxone (buprenorphine) and Ativan (lorazapem). I was prescribed ativan a week before starting methadone and found it to really help my anixiety and nervousness, and uncommon, but horrible gripping panic attacks. I had to stop these when I started methadone and found it very hard to flush them. It has been difficult dealing with my anxiety without a benzo to have once in awhile but I just went to my regular doctor and got a script for 1mg Ativan... Now since I'm at 4 mg of Suboxone (2mg soon hopefully!) and since buprenorphine has virtually little depression of breathing (at this low dose) would interminent use of Ativan be as deadly as my doctor makes it to be?

I don't think it is fair that I need to choose between my medical issues in order for their treatment. My opiate recovery has been very smooth, but there is a great deal of my ANXIETY that deals with wanting to use and stress. I don't feel as though my doctor understands this and thinks that I am misusing benzos. I would just use them (I did for the first time today and felt fine, and really energetic, like I was using my hyperactivity to actually do something).

Is this combination really that uncommon and lethal? I just want something for my anxiety (I don't need them daily, not to mention the tolerance that comes with it) and am not sure if I am ready to go off suboxone. I will however have to if my MMT doctor disagrees once again with my usage. I think that he just is worried about me reacting badly and him thinking that THAT would be his fault. When I get nervous I think about using and my past. This is an issue that I try to work full circle (see the negative outcomes) in my head, but cannot seem to quell altogether.

What can I say to my doctor so he can try and understand my situation? Without sounding like I'm trying to abuse the program or anything like that. I always think that he will judge me mostly because I still am ashamed of certain lifestyle choices that were made even a year ago :(

Thank-you so much to everyone in advance. I'm glad we're in this together and here to help. Keep strong!

Post subject: suboxone & ativan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This won't answer your questions, but are some thoughts to consider.
In the rooms of AA/NA it's called "living life on lifes terms", dealing with our lives, past, present, & future, without the use of medications "if" possible. Yes, underlying psychiatric conditions need to be treated, but as addicts we like to self-medicate our feelings, thoughts, with what we think is the best medication for us, I did.
If you are on the appropriate dose of suboxone, you should not have cravings. Have you considered going to meetings, they will help with shame, guilt, & learning to live life without self-medicating? I hated meetings at first cuz I still thought I had all the answers, and I wasn't like "them."
I'm not a doctor or pharmacist so I don't know "how" lethal ativan combined with suboxone is. And the people that could answer that are probably dead.
Addiction is a chronic disease, just because you can control your use of ativan now, what about 2, 3, 5+ years from now? You bring up tolerance so you must understand what it is. As addicts we can't control one drug better than another, I couldn't. But I certainly thought I could control any & all drugs early in my disease.
I'm glad you have stopped the heroin, thats a BIG step. Congratulations on entering recovery. Good luck.
Hopefully more people will respond to your post.
Kilby5.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply! I understand what you are saying and have to try really hard to think that I am not making these choices to set myself up for using (or atleast using benzos recreationally, which is not that fun). I have never tried a meeting but might have to consider this. I'm seeing a new psychologist and was put back on prozac, so hopefully I'll be more upbeat soon. I just hate when the doctor sees benzos or something in my urine and he equates that to opiate use!! People have to understand that NOTHING will be the same as their D.O.C ( in my case heroin), but it's been since July since i last used a real opiate! I'm afraid to be off suboxone because I've heard some horrible things. Why go off if I feel stabilized? Because I only get two carries a week (possible less if my use of ativan shows up on urinalysis) and the other days I have to go in and wait.. It's a big committment, and up until now I have been patient. I just want to move on (whether going off sub or thinking of all of this in a different way). I'm starting university in September so I want to be in tip top shape. I'm starting a job monday !! :S
Umm , any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Sub and Ativan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello,
I too have terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I was in the ER last night, because I thought I wqas having a heart attack. I have been scared to take anything becasue of what I have read. Although I knwo of people who have muxed them with no probems, I also know of people who have died from mixing Oxycotin and Xanax. I am waiting on a call from My doctor now. I just found out I am pregnant, so I am sure this making the anxiety worse...much worse. Last night, I really felt like I was going toi die...The Doctor in the Er said they could not do anything becasue I was pregnant. When the nurses left the room, he told me if I wasnt preganat, he would give me Ativan. He uses that to treat Sub patients with panic attacks in the ER. He even told me the does I coiuld take. IHe was kind of crazy, but he was the doctor. When I got home, I took 1 mg of Ativan. It took a while to help. It definatly calmed down, but the heavy, suffocating feeling in my chest, never really stopped. I still have it this am. I was able to sleep though. I wouldn't recomend taking it alone, and I would onyl take it, if you feel like you will crawl out of your skin and die. That is how bad my anxiety is. I had my husband check on my periodically thru the night while sleeping...Good luck! Oh-My advice to you is, to be on Suboxone as short as safely possible. I have been on for 2 years....way too long. I posted my story today if you want to read it...
Its called Please Help Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The warning about mixing benzos, especially high-potency/high-affinity benzos like clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan) or alprazolam (Xanax), have been reports of users misusing injected pills (ick) at dangerously high doses together with buprenorphine. I am in no position to reassure someone than 1 mg or less of oral Ativan together with their daily Suboxone is absolutely harmless or safe, and there have been even rarer reports of fatal interactions with oral benzos, but I suspect these are involving high doses, because there have been docs which will prescribe more typical low therapeutic doses of anti-panic benzos together with moderate doses of buprenorphine without disaster following.

The point to remember is that the bupe literature, esp. in Europe, is well-populated with forensic / coroners reports in which the cause of death appears to be the simultaneous administration of both classes of drugs, especially as make-shift IVs, but even occasionally when the benzos were taken orally. Since these street deaths are happening outside of the controlled setting of a "study", the best anyone can do in the meantime is sound an alarm of caution, even if the result is an unfortunate lack of detail or clinical guide points that suggest when, if ever, there are times (based on dosage, weight, other drug use) that some combinations may be used safely.

If any professional (such as our fearless leader) cares to correct me or rip me a new one, for expressing my interpretations of what I've read to far, that's great, because you really need someone with clinical experience providing informed insight here, but since I didn't see any such reply in public, I thought I'd just pass on what I've read, and hope it helps. Caution should be the guiding principle here, however.

FooBear

Post subject: My usual advice
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I certainly do not want to come across as someone repeating the same old mantra, but if you want to be safe talk to your doctor before adding any medications when taking Suboxone. It is true that there are dangerous and possibly fatal interactions, in certain situations, and that is why you really need to be honest with your doc when talking about meds that could interact. Follow there advice they are there to make sure you are safe and healthy. Anytime you choose to self medicate based on what you think is ok is like playing Russian Roulette with your life. You may be ok once or twice , but another may be the very last time you take anything. Why risk your life when its so simple to just ask your doc for some advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a couple of ideas here. Anxiety can be treated with anti-depressants. I read here that you have been prescribed Prozac, so you already know about that form of treatment.

Another thing, and I am directing this more towards the person who is pregnant, hormones can affect anxiety. Specifically Progesterone has a calming effect and Estrogen can "rev you up." Might be worth looking into.

I hope this helps.

Calliope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It makes me feel so useful when I come across a question I can answer! There are two considerations as I see it—the bupe/benzo interaction issue, and the ‘benzo/addiction’ issue. On the first issue, there is nothing special about buprenorphine that makes it lethal with benzos. You are always safer mixing a partial agonist like buprenorphine with a benzo than you are mixing a full agonist like oxycodone with a benzo. Realize, though, that Suboxone has a HUGE dose of buprenorphine in it- I encourage thinking in ‘micrograms’, as the potency is in micrograms. Buprenorphine is potent at 5-10 micrograms, and one tab of Suboxone contains 8000 micrograms! Even so, I don’t think a person could die from buprenorphine alone, even if the person has no tolerance to it at all—he/she would need to mix in another respiratory depressant to have fatal effects. If an opiate-naïve person takes 8 mg of Suboxone, he will puke all night but won’t die—unless he takes a bunch of Xanax. If that some opiate-naïve person takes 30 mg of methadone, he MIGHT die even without the Xanax, and almost certainly would WITH the Xanax. You need two things to die from buprenorphine--- first, you cannot be completely tolerant to the effects, and second, you need a second respiratory depressant. With an agonist you don’t need the second one.

A couple points related to this issue--- benzos and alcohol are interchangeable. They bind to different subunits of the same (gaba) receptor, so taking Xanax is like drinking a shot. BOTH are respiratory depressants.

The other thing is that once a patient is ‘stable’ on buprenorphine/Suboxone, and is not getting a ‘buzz’ from it, the risk from benzos essentially goes away. Once tolerant to a ceiling dose, I doubt a person could die from buprenorphine even with a second respiratory depressant—at least not any easier than from the other substance alone.

The other issue is more difficult. I do prescribe benzos for my patients on Suboxone in some cases, but it always makes me cringe a bit. The treatment of choice for all forms of anxiety is an SSRI or SNRI, not a benzo… benzos are good for the short-term, but long-term their effectiveness goes away and the person gets stuck in a cycle where there is anxiety from the ‘mini-withdrawal’ from the benzo that the patients thinks is HIS anxiety. He then needs to take another benzo for THAT anxiety—that he wouldn’t even have if he wasn’t taking anything. It isn’t the patient’s ‘fault’—it is just how addiction works. People want them SO badly sometimes that I feel bad if I don’t give in… but if I know that it would be a disservice, I can’t go along with it. My recommendation is for people with any addictions to avoid benzos if at all possible; first use an SSRI or SNRI; consider a beta blocker, consider Seroquel, consider remeron… if you DO need a benzo, try to avoid daily use (as that causes tolerance). And use it only for the worst episodes—that way it will keep working for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Isn't Seroquel an antipsychotic? With really awful side effects and a bad "disontinuation syndrome"? Didn't the FDA recently recommend AGAINST approving Seroquel for anxiety and as a stand-alone treatment for depression?

I'm suprised to hear it suggested for anxiety. I've also heard of people taking it as a sleep aid. I wouldn't touch that drug with a forty foot pole.

The excellent reporter/mental health blogger Philip Dawdy of Furious Seasons has been following the Seroquel and Zyprexa stories/scandals for a long time now. He was the person who first made the infamous Zyprexa documents available online after he got them via a FOIA request.

There are a lot of shady happenings around the new generations antipsychotic medications. Dawdy's blog is essential reading for anyone considering these medications. Did you know that Seroquel has become a street drug in Scotland and in US prisions? Apparently, Susie Q is kinda sorta like heroin if you snort/shoot enough of it.

How about the fact that Bristol-Meyers Squib states that 10% of depressed patients are now using antipyschotic medication to treat their depression. Oh really? That is effin crazy. Antipsychotics are the top revenue-producing drugs in the States. The top!

The FDA itself has expressed concerns about Seroquel's risks - including sudden cardiac death. Other side-effects are serious weight-gain, metabolic changes, diabetes, and tardive dyskinesia. That's the short list. The pharma company knew about these risks and supressed the evidence in order to get their cash-cow approved. Now they're trying to get their drug approved for use in treating anorexia. I guess that's one way to turn a risk into a benefit.

Doc didn't mention some other effective treatments for anxiety: CBT, meditation/relaxation and exercise. Cutting out caffien helps too. These things, combined with getting off the opiate roller-coaster, helped me get my anxiety in check. I haven't "needed" a benzo in months - and that's a great feeling. Nowadays, when I do feel the anxiety coming on, I can short-circut it or ride it out if I have to. And it's so much milder than the crippling attacks I had for many years. Benzos are a good tool for a little while, but you can't rely on them because in the end they make anxiety worse.

For more info on the Seroquel bizness - go here

Sorry for the long and ranty post, but Seroquel and it's cousins scare the crap out of me. I really don't think that doctors are paying close enough attention to what's going on with these drugs.

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on ativan for about 4 or 5 years now for a severe case of social anxiety and also for panic disorder..I recently got on the suboxone clinic, and the dr there will not prescribe me my ativans any longer...it makes no sense to me for many reasons, this being the most:I was on the methadone clinic for 16 months before getting treatment with suboxone, and I was prescribed my usual prescription of ativan the entire time I was taking methadone daily, which was 130mgs at its highest, and was on 2mg ativans 4 times a day towards the end of receiving them..How can I be on that high of a dose of both of those meds and it was ok, but now I cannot get the help that I need to get my prescription of ativan or any other type of benzo back because I'm on suboxone now...I've lost my job because of my anxiety problem, and it messes so much up in my life to where its at the point without my meds now that I wont even go into a store alot of the time to get what I need...I can understand the dr's just covering his ass cuz of the combination and the overdoses that can end up from them together but its getting to the point now where I'm about ready to go in and tell him I want of the suboxone just so I can get my ativan back..Also since I've been on benzos for so long in the past, yes I have a pretty high tolerance with them, so its not like my body isnt used to them, and could cause an overdose because of it..And the entire time I was getting methadone daily, I would not take my ativan until hours later because I'm not gunna push my luck and end up having sumthin happen because of it, and I'm the exact same way now while on suboxone, so I'm not gunna be a dumbass and pop my benzos while I feel the suboxone effects working themselves.I'm def not ready to get off just yet since its only been a few months being on it, but somethings got to give...Is there ANY way that I can fight this somehow? anybody got any advice? I'm really far and beyond stressing over this cuz I'm losing so much because of my social phobia that's not being treated in any way whatsoever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have been taking seroquel for like 5 years for anxiety and depression and have not had any side effects at all.. just saying....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

and I get it for free from astra zenica ....so its not a money issue with me, never heard of snorting it or shooting it I just take it at bedtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sickofitall24 - welcome to the forum.

I agree that you are in a pretty messed-up situation. You have been on a stable dose of ativan for years, right? And your new Suboxone doctor won't prescribe ativan for you?

Is he at least tapering you off the Ativan safely? I know there are concerns and it can be dangerous to just discontinue a benzo without tapering. Did you talk to you about that at all?

Some doctors just refuse to prescribe benzos to Suboxone patients as a matter of policy. My Suboxone doctor was ok with prescribing my clonazepam, but only so I could taper off of it. That was ok with me though as I felt ready to stop taking it.

Is you Suboxone doctor willing to discuss other treatments for your social anxiety & panic disorder? Is he willing to let you take the ativan if you get it from a different doctor? If he isn't, then you might have to find a different Suboxone doctor.

My advice would be to make an appointment with your Suboxone doctor to discuss the issue. Make him aware of your panic disorder and ask him if he will treat you. If not, see if he can refer you to someone who can treat you. Ask him if it is safe for you to just stop taking Ativan after having taken it for 5 years. If I was in your situation, I would write down all my questions and the points I want to make and take the list with me to the appointment.

There are definitely Suboxone doctors who will prescribe benzos if their patients need them. Maybe you will have to switch doctors. I had good luck finding my doctor through the NAABT.org doctor-patient matching service. Subxone.com also has a list of Suboxne providers. Another way to find a doctor is to just call up psychiatrists and ask if they are certified to prescribe Suboxone - there are quite a few psychiatrists who are certified but don't advertise the fact. I think having a psychiatrist as your Sub doctor might be beneficial since you are also dealing with panic/anxiety disorder, which is something a psychiatrist should be comfortable treating.

You might have to become open to an alternative treatment for your anxiety as well - something like an SSRI or SNRI. I think a lot of doctors are wary of prescribing benzos these days because they are so addictive and they would rather prescibe something that is just as effective without the risks of addiction.

Either way, you need to have this issue addressed, especially if it is having a negative impact on your life and your recovery. I'm sorry that you're going through a difficult time, but we're here for you! Please keep us posted on how things work out.

PS - If you would like me to, I can move your post to it's own thread. This topic is kind of old, and you might get more feedback if you have your own topic. Just let me know and I'll set it up for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, thanks for the response "diary of a quitter"...I just went to that website and submitted an app in the matching system...Also I am going to ask my dr the things that you mentioned..I just figured that if 1 dr. isnt going to prescribe me it while on suboxone then none of them will..That's mostly in my thinking because of the fact that I've been to so many doctors and no matter what my medical records say and all the other proof I've got about my disorder, it's always a fight that's gotten very frustrating to put up with..My current suboxone dr. WILL NOT under any circumstances put me back on my ativan..He actually told me when I first started going there that if I seen any other dr, to make sure that I WAS NOT prsecribed any type of benzo, and also stated that my last dr had no idea what he was doing, because I was taking ativan while on methadone...The thing that really gets at me is that he's fine with treating my bi-polar and adhd (with a non stimulant type drug) but COMPLETELY ignores the most biggest issue that's going on, and states "oh, well that'll take a long time before you can go around all the people and start working again". Don't make any sense to me or others that I've told or have been in the office speaking to him with me also. But when I came off of the ativan, I actually came off of a big amount while coming down from methadone in 6 days also..it was def a living hell and when I told my suboxone dr. once I started seeing him, he couldnt believe that I just came off the ativan that way especially and on top of the methadone...But I will try my luck yet again and hopefully reach a comfortable spot finally in my treatment for ALL of my problems..And yes if you could move my post into a newer place that would be great..Thanks again!!

Post subject: Man I feel lucky
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

One thing I really want to stress is, DO NOT GO ON YOUR DOCTORS WORD ALONE AND TAKE IT AS GOLD!!!

My doctor is a good GP Doc. He got in the suboxone game for the same reason he is in the supplement game (when I go to appointments he is always pushing this or that off on me to help my digestion or calm me or whatever) for the money. I know more about Sub then he does IMO. I think many of us in here that have those types of docs and not docs that specialize in addiction and sub know more from what I have read.

With that in mind, I was on 8MG of sub per day when I found out my wife was sick with something pretty harsh. It stressed me out and I asked him for something to take the edge of. He prescribed 2MG of Xanax every 6-8 hours WHILE I was on 8MG per day of Sub AND drinking 3-4 beers or glasses of wine per night. I have no idea how the hell I did not die. I had no idea until I READ IN HERE about the effects that benzos, alcohol and sub mixed have on your system. I mean I had nights just like anyone else where I partied and drank a ton AND took Xanax during the day, sometimes 2-4 MG. Divine intervention? I D K. What I do know is this place is more useful then my doctor and for that I am thankful.

BTW, when I brought up to my doc about my story above his words were pretty scary. He said "Well, you gotta be careful. Just make sure you keep track of how it effects you." WHAT? How about, "Wow! I am sorry I missed that. You are right though, mixing those 3 together is a very bad idea and you need to do..................."

Xanax+Alcohol+Sub or any 2 in mass quantities can and will kill you. I am fortunate it did not kill me.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went and seen my doc this past tuesday, and told him once again that i NEED to get back on my ativan 2 get back 2 work etc. and he said no once again so i'm currently looking around for a new doc if i cant get any other psych to prescribe it 2 me while im on subs...i know u should def tell every doc u go and see about everything u are currently taking but, i'm at the point where i'm ready to not say a word about the subs and just get my ativan or whatever other benzo they put me on...could they find out in any way? besides through peeing in a cup, could i get into trouble if i'd go this route? because i'm not ready 2 get off of the subs just yet, its only been a few months now, and i NEED 2 get back 2 work and in order 2 do that i HAVE 2 HAVE my script of benzos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi sickofit- i have mood swings,and dysthimia too. think you should give it
a lot of thought for us people with mental illness + drug and alcohol problems
on what jleets was saying above you . i'm going through almost the same problem.
am thinking about asking my doc for benzo's on subs,i hope i'm making the rite
disire think a little mor about what jleets is saying. thanks you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am not a doctor and can only speak from my own experiences.
First, dope is really bad. Second benzos are really bad. Third, dope and benzos are worse together. I know, I was addicted to both.
Without getting into too much details I will say that I take suboxone and Xanax, but in small amounts and i don't take benzos ecreationally.
I've been heroin free for almost 8 months now. I take about 2 mgs suboxone daily. I have been prescribed 2mg Xanax before and have lots and lots of them left over. The only time I take Xanax is if i feel anxious or can't sleep and i only take it at night and no more than 1mg at a time.
I feel safe taking only a small amount because I have taken upwards of 6-8mgs of Xanax and lots of dope at the same time. I know my body and i know that the little bit of suboxone I take and the little bit of Xanax doesn't cause me problems.
I never take Xanax more than 2 nights a row, and I'm carefully not to take it too many times in a week. The problem with taking any benzos is the risk for dependance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am having the EXACT same problem as well and am searching endlessly for some advice. I have been taking Ativan for 12+ years---not for anxiety but for an underlying gastric/colon problem I've had since I was a teenager. The physician who prescribed me Suboxone to help me get rid of my narcotic dependence I felt did me right but at the last visit I saw a therapist in his office----not him---and she FLIPPED OUT when she found out I was taking Ativan and Klonopin. Because I was being honest and insist on sharing my information between doctors' offices, I allowed her, an unlicensed non-medical person, to call my Primary Care Doctor and got her all worried that I was going to die immediately---so my PCD discontinued my ativan without ANY draw-down----and she reduced my Klonopin from 3 50 mg tabs a day down to 2. Needless to say my gastric/colon issues have returned with a vengeance. I've already been trying to find a suboxone doctor in my area that would help me with both issues but I cannot find anyone to even see me. They all have asked me upfront if I was taking Ativan and/or Klonopin and/or Xanax (No Xanax!!)...so I would really like to hear someone else's thoughts about this. I am in month 4 of suboxone therapy. It has worked like a charm to take the opiate monkey off my back---but now I'm suffering with the other problem. I really am just at my wits end about what to do. Any advice, please---I'd be thankful to others who might have had to go through this. Thanks!

BAMBAMOKC

RECEPT0R wrote:
Hey I haven't really posted much yet on this forum but I think its a great outlet and place to get knowledge and just to know you aren't alone!

K well first my backstory. I was addicted to heroin for ~a year before going on methadone. I stayed on that for a while until I got two carries (take-homes) but found it too sedating and "foggy". I stopped methadone (here my doctor made me wait 3 days with nothing. it was only horrible on the second day..) before a planned switched to suboxone @ 8mg. I am now half of that @ 4mg planning to move down further. I have found the process empowering but think it is time to move on with my life. :o

Anyway my real question deals with the effects of mixing suboxone (buprenorphine) and Ativan (lorazapem). I was prescribed ativan a week before starting methadone and found it to really help my anixiety and nervousness, and uncommon, but horrible gripping panic attacks. I had to stop these when I started methadone and found it very hard to flush them. It has been difficult dealing with my anxiety without a benzo to have once in awhile but I just went to my regular doctor and got a script for 1mg Ativan... Now since I'm at 4 mg of Suboxone (2mg soon hopefully!) and since buprenorphine has virtually little depression of breathing (at this low dose) would interminent use of Ativan be as deadly as my doctor makes it to be?

I don't think it is fair that I need to choose between my medical issues in order for their treatment. My opiate recovery has been very smooth, but there is a great deal of my ANXIETY that deals with wanting to use and stress. I don't feel as though my doctor understands this and thinks that I am misusing benzos. I would just use them (I did for the first time today and felt fine, and really energetic, like I was using my hyperactivity to actually do something).

Is this combination really that uncommon and lethal? I just want something for my anxiety (I don't need them daily, not to mention the tolerance that comes with it) and am not sure if I am ready to go off suboxone. I will however have to if my MMT doctor disagrees once again with my usage. I think that he just is worried about me reacting badly and him thinking that THAT would be his fault. When I get nervous I think about using and my past. This is an issue that I try to work full circle (see the negative outcomes) in my head, but cannot seem to quell altogether.

What can I say to my doctor so he can try and understand my situation? Without sounding like I'm trying to abuse the program or anything like that. I always think that he will judge me mostly because I still am ashamed of certain lifestyle choices that were made even a year ago :(

Thank-you so much to everyone in advance. I'm glad we're in this together and here to help. Keep strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi RECEPTOR! I've been taking anti-anxiety meds for years in varying doses. I currently take clonazepam and I take 1/2 to 1 every night (they are the .5's). I told the sub doc and he said it was fine to keep taking them when I start my sub, although he said he would like me to eventually discontinue them. Not sure if that helps :oops: I'm sure it can be deadly to mix, but I think it depends on a whole lot of factors. I hope you get what you need :)