It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

If anyone could help me it would be great.. Ive been going to this new clinic now for a few weeks and today is friday and i got to my third visit Tuesday. My question in i took two 1mg xanax and a few roxy 10s today. Do you think theyll both be out ofmy system before Tuesday?? My sub doctor is very strict when it comes to xanax and i also no what kind of urine test they use because it takes right at an hour bc they have the lab in the office. Can someone help me out before i got to the doctor thanks...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:34 pm 

Hey Swank welcome.

I'm not an expert on how long things stay in ur system. But if u did some roxy 10's today (I'm assuming that's oxycodone 10) and two 1mg xanax and ur dr appt is Tuesday, I'd be scared if it were me. My clinic has the lab inside the clinic also and it takes about an hour for the results (sometimes I think it takes much less) so I'm assuming it's a pretty detailed test...But that's a guess. I think it's very possible that you'll show up positive.

I have no idea why u took the 10's and the Xanax but I can assure u that it's not worth getting kicked out of ur clinic. The best thing to do is if u fail ur test on Tuesday, be honest instead of denying it when the dr knows the truth already.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:44 pm 

Listen to Jenn and be honest. You sure don't sound like someone who is ready for recovery. It's not a game of hide and seek. You either commit or don't waste the doctors time and Suboxone slot for another addict who may not die if they get it.

Time to make a choice.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You shouldn't ever mix Xanax with bupe cause you can overdose. My uncle mixed Xanax with methadone and died from it
He was 40. Suboxone can stay in your system for up to a week & a half. Xanax will stay in your system for up to 3 days. Depending on how much water you drink.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Questioning where your head is with taking other opiates when on suboxone. Unless you have an acute pain situation and are taking under a doctors order it just won't work. Regarding xanax, if you are taking a small dose for a medical reason with an RX you might be able to get permission from you suboxone doctor. I have been taking clonazepam at bedtime to prevent sleepwalking. My suboxone doctor objected to the clonazepam, but, I just told him that we would have to agree to disagree on this topic and it has been a non issue for years.
Good luck. I am so glad that I found suboxone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

swankthafirst wrote:
If anyone could help me it would be great.. Ive been going to this new clinic now for a few weeks and today is friday and i got to my third visit Tuesday. My question in i took two 1mg xanax and a few roxy 10s today. Do you think theyll both be out ofmy system before Tuesday?? My sub doctor is very strict when it comes to xanax and i also no what kind of urine test they use because it takes right at an hour bc they have the lab in the office. Can someone help me out before i got to the doctor thanks...

Swank,

It's a journey. If not now, hopefully later. I played games for many years, during which by one miracle after another I didn't kill myself....or someone else. And yet I did do some long term...that is permanent...damage to my health. We all pay a price, and the longer we're out there the higher it gets..

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not too familiar with oral medications and half lives. But oral meds stay in your system a fair bit longer than IV / smoking.

If I were you, to be safe, I'd drink plenty of fluids. And if you want to be really devious, take some creatine so the test won't show you're flushing with low creatine levels. Also vitamin B gives your pee a nice healthy glow.

Ahhhh scamming piss tests remind me of the good old days of going around my rehab and trying to find a well behaved resident with clean pee and trading ciggies for urine. Then I used to use a butterly line taped to my schlong and a 5ml plunger tucked in my undies to excrete it realistically. Sadly the line got blocked and I got caught with my pants down and was made to do a proper screen with a young attractive Christian nurse preaching Jesus over my shoulder while trying to pee.

A few days later and just by chance the rehab receptionist left all the papers with the urine screen results unsupervised for 30 seconds and I found my piece of paper with my positive opioid / benzo results and burned it in the smoking area. Nurses didn't even realise it was missing!

The things you do to stay in rehab when you're homeless...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Goodness.... I think any post containing the word 'schlong' is TMI...

A comment about benzos and bupe... I am not a fan of benzos, just because their therapeutic action dissipates from tolerance, and the rebound anxiety is worse than whatever led to starting them. But the danger of bupe and benzos is very misunderstood. WI sends letters to docs who have patients on medicaid, who are on benzos and bupe, describing the 'severe risk' of the combination.

Deaths on buprenorphine are rare. About 40 people die each year, in the US, with bupe in their bloodstream-- the same as the number killed by lightning.

In the vast majority of cases, the only way for an adult to die from buprenorphine is to have 1. a very low, or absent, opioid tolerance, PLUS 2. to add a significant dose of a second respiratory depressant that the person also has no significant tolerance to. BOTH most be present. It is almost impossible for an adult to die from buprenorphine alone, even in the absence of opioid tolerance.

So chapters about buprenorphine have always said that you can't die from buprenorphine unless a benzo is present. Somehow, that fact changed over the years to the idea that bupe and benzos are a dangerous combination. Understand that benzos are much, MUCH more dangerous when taken with opioid agonists, than when taken with buprenorphine! Suddenly we have pharmacists and regulators saying nothing to docs who combine oxycodone and Xanax, but preaching about risk to docs prescribing buprenorphine with Xanax!

A person who is tolerant to buprenorphine is at very litle risk when taking benzos; about the same risk, in fact, as a person NOT taking opioids. It is all about tolerance, mu activity, and GABA activity. Likewise if a person is tolerant to benzos, adding buprenorphine is NOT a big deal.

I'll never convince the state to stop sending letters, but hopefully I'll promote a better understanding of neurochemistry in readers here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MN Medicaid has taken the next step based on the black box warnings against opiates and benzo's. They denied the PA for Suboxone because the patient is on Ativan. In the midst of a long taper, she started from 8 mg a day and is now down to .5 twice a day, (the Ativan, not the Suboxone.) Of course they denied the Suboxone and not the Ativan. Two appeals and a detailed taper plan was finally approved. Bottom line, I think we will be seeing more of this in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Hey Swank welcome.

I'm not an expert on how long things stay in ur system. But if u did some roxy 10's today (I'm assuming that's oxycodone 10) and two 1mg xanax and ur dr appt is Tuesday, I'd be scared if it were me. My clinic has the lab inside the clinic also and it takes about an hour for the results (sometimes I think it takes much less) so I'm assuming it's a pretty detailed test...But that's a guess. I think it's very possible that you'll show up positive.

I have no idea why u took the 10's and the Xanax but I can assure u that it's not worth getting kicked out of ur clinic. The best thing to do is if u fail ur test on Tuesday, be honest instead of denying it when the dr knows the truth already.

Good luck.

my clinic just does a cup test. they use two different ones in the same sample. idk what they test for. they are very anti xanax.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxdoc wrote:
Goodness.... I think any post containing the word 'schlong' is TMI...

Cheers next time I will be more tactful.

Maybe shtekl or gherkin?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ,
lol

I had to look them up but i pretty much guessed right!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

"Cheers next time I will be more tactful.

Maybe shtekl or gherkin?"

LOL!!! Thank you for that TeeJay - my induction onto bupe has been tough. Needed that laugh!

I'm very surprised to hear that clinics will kick A DRUG ADDICT out of treatment for using drugs. Aren't relapses part of the disease for many, if not most, addicts?
I'm not all that sure that I qualify as an addict, but the first thing my doctor told me when she handed me the bupe script was that fuck-ups (her word!) are normal and that the worst outcome is when patients stop coming back b/c they're feeling too guilty or embarrassed b/c they've fucked up.

I'm also surprised to hear that doctors are drug-testing patients. How is that conducive to trust?

I disagree with the people who say that just b/c someone fucked up, they aren't ready for recovery and should give their slot to someone else. First, not all of us are in parts of the country where there's a shortage of buprenorphine providers. Second, isn't it possible that the person who fucks up a few times on buprenorphine might just be further into the addictive disease and need the stabilizing influence of buprenorphine even more than the person for whom all goes smoothly? I also find it very difficult to blame a patient for trying to hide his fuck-up when he goes to a clinic that would deprive him of a life-saving medication just for having a relapse when RELAPSE IS PART OF THE DISEASE THEY'RE TREATING!

This all seems so crazy to me. I really can't believe doctors would be so punitive and harsh, but I'm quickly learning on this board that I seem to be in a part of the country with VERY different attitudes towards drug users than most places.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you in America knockoutmouse?

There are different prescribing cultures in different countries. By all accounts America is more hardline than places like the UK and Australia. Possibly because of all the DEA hoops they have to jump through!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

But to attempt to answer Swank's original question:

People metabolize drugs at different rates. E.g. for alprazolam (Xanax), the mean plasma half-life in one assay was 11 hours, but the range was from 6 hours to 27. If you're on the lower end of that range, the levels should be undetectable by 4 days. If you're at the higher end, you'd still have approximately 7% of the original dose in your body, and whether that's detectable would depend on the sensitivity of the assay and the cut-offs they use.

Oxycodone's elimination half-life is shorter, so unless you're an outlier who metabolizes very slowly for some reason, I would think you'd be OK there after 4 days.

If you aren't running out of buprenorphine on Tuesday, could you reschedule your appointment for a couple days later? That would probably be the safest move.
If you have to go to the appointment, there's a good likelihood that neither drug will show up on the test. But it's possible the Xanax might. And even possible that both will show up, if, for example, your liver is impaired. Your call.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, I'm in the states, but I'm in San Francisco, which seems to be far more lenient and understanding towards our (many!) drug addicts than the country as a whole. I'm shocked by the things I'm reading about doctors/clinics in other parts of the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

But I was also shocked by our recent election results, so I may not have a good handle on American culture/politics outside of major (very liberal) urban centers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Swank was a one and done, gone since the original post last spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This was a political rant that on reflection was possibly too inflammatory, not to mention off subject.
So I've taken the liberty of deleting. Hope that's ok...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 pm 

I liked it Godfrey.
Many of us feel the same way. It was a great different country.
Many good things have happened and changed, but.....