It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone and xanax
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Is it okay to mix suboxone and Xanax? Currently I am taking the strips of suboxone and cutting them into 8 one mg pieces. I take one mg at a time as needed (about 2 mg per day) and I also take 1.5 mg of Xanax per day, at a different, .50 mg three times a day. Does this sound okay to do? I am on the suboxone because I had a bad Tylenol 4 habit, I was taking 4-5 Tylenol 4's per day, and I quit cold turkey so the doctor put me on suboxone, I am afraid of this drug though, like it could make me pass out or something. Are my fears grounded? Thank for any advice.

Post subject: Re: suboxone and xanax
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Ty,
Some doctors including mine take the warning about mixing benzos and suboxone very seriously and will not prescribe both. I know there are other doctors who will prescribe both or prescribe knowing the patient is prescribed Xanax from their primary care doctor. Imo I think your fine considering the low dose of suboxone you take daily. If your nodding off then maybe you should be concerned but if not just consider your self lucky that if your not addicted to the benzos that your doctor will allow you to take both at the same time. Wow Tylenol 4, I haven't seen them in years.

Alan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:56 pm 

I am quite surprised any doctor would put you on Suboxone for taking only several T-4's. But that isn't your question.

No, Suboxone and Xanax do not mix well. The Buprenorphine in the Suboxone seems to enhance the effects of Alprazolam. (Xanax) I suspect any person would be nodding off mixing those two. When I first got on Sub I took some of my old Xanax script and I almost blacked out. And that was from only a .50 pill. I understood then why the warning is in place.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The reason most doctors don't prescribe the two is because they're both CNS depressants and in high enough doses, have caused deaths. If a person is opiate naive or benzo naive, the chance of CNS depression to a serious degree is fairly high.

Seeing as you're taking very small doses of Suboxone and you're already opiate tolerant, you should be fine with your Xanax dose.

Please remember, I am not a doctor, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The really sad thing is that you are on Suboxone. I was on it 3 years, Suboxone is made to get off heavier drugs. I have been off for 2 months and it is pure hell. The Drs. don't tell you how addictive this med is. I can't stress enough GET OFF. It can take 2 to 4 months. The pain is horrible. I think this med is the worst thing they put on the market. I have tryed many places for help and all I hear is we use Suboxone or methadone. I can't stress anymore GET OFF.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 pm 

Tina,

You are entitled to your opinion but please be aware that it is only yours and not everyone else's. Just because you have had negative symptoms from getting off Suboxone doesn't mean everyone else needs to be off it.

The drug is used to get people off the opiate crazy train before it's too late. Many of us will likely be on it for life. Or at least until we feel the time is right to taper properly and try to avoid most of the bad withdrawal symptoms.

Did you really think you could abuse pain meds/opiates and not pay a price for that? We understand it is difficult to stop Suboxone if a person is on a high dose. There are many here who suffered very little because they did it the right way.

Please keep in mind that this is a pro Suboxone forum. The vast majority of us have stated how it saved our lives and didn't know where we'd be w/o it. So tone it down a bit. Think of any number of addicts who come here looking for help and read your post. They may not choose Suboxone and end up dead out there.

If you hate it so much, please go visit subsux.com or any other Suboxone bashing website. Just don't do it here. We are not uneducated about the pros and cons of the treatment choice we made. You are not the first to come here and rant about the ill effects of Sub. We know.

rule62

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm taken aback by the fact that there is a site entitled subsux.com ... this world is so effed up.

Ditto what Romeo said. The main reason these aren't prescribed together is because of the risk of breathing problems... I've lost a few friends who just "quit breathing" in their sleep. They called it sleep apnea...but when it came down to it both of them were taking heavy doses of opiates and/or benzos ...very sad. Just be careful should you decide that this is safe for you to do....my doc is serious about not prescribing the two together and he told me he would find out if I had refilled my script. That was enough for me to just stop despite my having 6 refills left on the xanax.