It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I want to get this off my chest. I know this is the stopping sub section but I feel it’s somewhat relevant. I tapered off subs and quit a little over 3 months ago, but have been taking xanax for about 3 years now.

I was seeing a crooked cash only sub doc that was prescribing me xanax with my subs. A lot of people say this is a bad combination, and I knew it was a dumb idea to take the xanax but I just didn’t care at the time. I stopped taking subs and now I want to stop the xanax. I was prescribed 4mg/day which is a lot for someone who doesn’t need it! I was taking 2.5-3mg/day eventually stopped seeing the crooked sub/xanax doctor last year. I started going back to my primary care physician when I got low on xanax and he is prescribing me 2mg xanax a day while encouraging me to slowly taper.

Since stopping sub 3 months ago I’ve tapered from a total of 2.5mg xanax to 1.5mg xanax per day. No issues so far – just a little anxiety for a couple hours a few days when I dropped my dose. I’m going to slowly taper off xanax the same way I tapered off subs, minus the liquid taper part at the end. I’ve done a little reading on stopping benzos and might switch it up to valium as I get to a lower dose? I don’t want to read too much into the whole withdrawl thing with benzos since I think my mind will start to make me think I’m feeling worse than I really am. I don’t have a time frame in place, but would like to stop by the end of the year?

If anyone has any experience or advice let me know. I know benzos are a different animal than opiates, but I’m hoping I can use my experience with tapering to minimize most ill effects. . .

(just a little side note) – I never took any extra xanax during any of my sub withdrawls or tapers, so I don’t think it had much of an impact on the way I felt when stopping subs. I also never really craved or liked xanax during my drug years, I wanted opiates. I’m more physically addicted to xanax than mentally which may help me a little? I don’t know.

Last few months of my sub taper here if anyone was wondering:
http://www.suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7369

Post subject: Tapering from Xanax
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

Congratulations SJB for being Sub free for 3 months! I hope many others here read your success story and know it can be done.

You are correct about Suboxone and Xanax being a bad mix. I take 1 mg per day for about three weeks and then stop completely for at least a week or so and have very little if any withdrawals from it. So my opinion is that being on only 1.5 mg's it shouldn't be very hard to get down to 1 and if you want, then to .5 mgs's. I think your doctor is on the right path for your taper and it's doubtful you'll feel much of any discomfort at that low level.

Have you ever stopped completely during the past 3 years? If not, then you don't really know what kind of reaction you'll have. My experience is only my own and you may have a totally different one. The first time I stopped taking them I feared the worst and nothing happened except a little anxiety. No big deal. Or once you get down to as low as possible, stop, and see how you feel. You can always take one and then start skipping days too.

You'll succeed in this. The largest battle was the Suboxone and you won that one didn't you? This is small potatoes if you taper the right way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Whats up SBJ

Check out some of the more Benzo oriented forums out there for quitting. I've read about Xanax withdrawls and they can be a ( supposedly ) worse than Opiate withdrawls.

I've also read Valium is more useful because it's a long half-life benzo and can help you really taper to the point of not having any problems.

Xanax is like a Roxy, short-term hits quick.
Valium is a Suboxone

That is real encouraging right?
:lol:

I would suggest making a plan, possibly doing what Rule suggested. Just keep an eye out for some of the severe Benzo withdrawls. They're a little insane...

Best of luck buddy, keep us updated!

-WTBF

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yo SJB,

I have been where you are now and I will start by saying I made it and also it wasn't that bad. I was hooked on benzos for over 3 years. You really have to be careful and taper down after taking them for so long. Switching to Valium will help you a lot! Valium has a much, much longer half life than Xanax. That will make things much smoother and at the very end I skipped every other day so it helps with that. 1mg Xanax is equal to approx 10mg of Valium. I think I did something like 10mg for a month, 7.5 for a month, 5 for a month, 2.5 for a month, 1 or 1.25 (can remember) for a month, 1 every other day for about 40 days and done. Easy peasy. Anxiety as you may be aware is the main withdrawal symptom and it wasn't unbearable at any time really. Cutting out caffeine helped. I would share this story with your doctor. Definately valium is better for this, pretty standard practice for benzo tapering. Xanax is the worst for tapering because although it's onset is the fastest, it's half life is very short.

Take your time with this, when you are free from benzo dependance it will be so worth it! Way to go with kicking subs, if you do this right, it will be much easier!

-glen b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I meant to say that my benzo taper was dictated by my doctor. I think this really helped me because I had no choice but to take the new lower dose every month.

Also, going cold turkey off of over 2mg Xanax a day for 3 years is not recommendable so don't even think about it (not that anyone said to do that). You could have a seizure. It's nothing like opiate w/d, it can kill u. I'm sure u know this but I am posting it anyways...

WantToBeFREE wrote:

Xanax is like a Roxy, short-term hits quick.
Valium is a Suboxone

That is real encouraging right?
:lol:

Good joke but this is so not true!