It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay so last time I went to do the right side of my mouth my dentist told me he can't prescribe me anything because of the sub's (I was on 4mg). He ended up prescribing me motrin KNOWING I'm allergic to asprin. This resulted in me being in a lot of pain for four days and having to miss work.

This time I'm on maybe .1 mg? I take literally a chip of suboxone every other day and I don't know what to say in order to get it across to him that I deserve to not deal with pain. Sometimes pain meds are necessary. I don't want to lie and say I don't take ANY suboxone.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to sound like a junkie. I already feel profiled just for being 20 and on suboxone but this really isn't right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The proper approach is to use narcotic medication in doses higher than for a normal patient. I've had patients go through surgery on Suboxone/buprenorphine so many times over the years.. that it really should be something that surgeons and dentists know how to manage.

A reasonable dose would be about 10 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours--- you would get pain relief, without feeling any euphoria or 'buzz'. If he won't do that, he should at least give you hydrocodone, which is what he/she probably gives typical patients after wisdom tooth extraction.

You will NOT precipitate withdrawal from being on buprenorphine, and then taking an agonist like oxycodone or hydrocodone (or morphine or any other opioid agonist). You DO get precipitated withdrawal from doing it in the opposite order-- i.e. if you are on an agonist, and THEN start buprenorphine. But as long as you started the buprenorphine first, you'll be OK. Just keep taking the buprenorphine or Suboxone each day, as you usually do--- and use an agonist for pain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had wisdom teeth removed while on Methadone, and to be honest I found that extra Methadone (prescribed by my addiction doc) was an ineffective pain killer.

Following the procedure, anti-inflammatories proved to be much more useful, and they're the standard anti pain med that I now use for dental stuff. Same thing for root canals, etc (as an ex-junky and Methadone/Subs patient, I have to go the dentist a lot).

Don't know whether Oxycodone or Hydrocodone will differ from Methadone in terms of pain relief.

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 pm 

You could print out some of the papers Dr. Junig has wrote about surgery and pain and give it to your dentist.

I guess it depends on whether your wisdom teeth are impacted or not. I had all four of mine removed and 2 Aleve did the trick. No narcotics were necessary. But that is me, not you. Tell him or show him what Dr. J said.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The dose depends upon the need and your doctor would have prescribed you the proper medication according to your need.I think you should continue with your prescribed dosage.But if you still feel pain, you should consult your dentist.After my dental implants my orthodontist also suggested me to go on low dosage and after i told him he put me on high dosage.