It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey tomorrow morning at 830 i will be getting 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I am on about 4-8mgs of subs. Will the anesthetic's have any effect on me while on sub? I am assuming they are gassing me for the surgery. My dr. was gone today and was not able to get a hold of him =/. If anyone ( preferably subdox ) has any answers to this please let me know. Also how well will the suboxone work has a painkiller afterwards. I don't really care the fact that they will give me tabs i rather stay away. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I had my 4 wisdom teeth out I had the "twilight sleep" option for anesthesia. I think they just gave me a ton of valium or other similar drug - I was awake enough that they could tell me to open or close my mouth or whatever, but I don't remember any of it. They also shot my jaw full of lidocaine for the local anesthetic.

For afterward I used ice packs, ibuprofin, and percoset. I only needed the percoset for a couple of days. If you are only on 4-8 mgs of Sub you might just be able to take more Sub for the pain. Or you could talk to your oral surgeon about your circumstances and see what s/he says.

From what I remember the first day was the worst, after the lidocaine wore off, mostly I just took the pain pills and slept. After that the swelling went down and it wasn't too bad. One thing I will say is that your painkiller tolerance will be higher than a regular patient, so be aware of that.

I had a kidney stone while I was on 4mg of Sub per day. I took 2mg of Sub and then took the percoset on top of it and that worked fine for me. But that's just my personal experience. Best to talk to your sub doc or your oral surgeon.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield