It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and weight gain
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I did a search in the the side effects part of the forum and found nothing related to this issue.

I have been on Suboxone since August, I started off at 24 MG, now I'm down to 16. Since starting Suboxone I have put on A LOT of weight in a short amount of time. Last year around this time I was between 165-175LB...Depending on how much I was using and If I had just gone through withdrawals...I'm sure many of you know how that goes. Anyways, since getting on Suboxone it has been a steady incline at weight. I am now at my heaviest by thirty pounds as I weigh 210 pounds now. It all came on pretty quick too...I started in August, then I went on get away trip for about to my mom's house for about a month in Arizona while I started suboxone and came back and EVERYONE noticed how much weight I put on. I have asked numerous doctors and pharmacist and all of them say "Their is no correlation between Suboxone and weight gain." Now, i'll admit since I stopped using I have developed quite a sweet tooth(Not so bad that I s should of gained 40 pounds though!)...I've heard a lot about former addicts doing this as eating sweat's gets your endorphins buzzing. I'm 21 years old so it's not like my metabolism just stopped working in a months time. Obviously, I have had some constipation issues as well so I'm sure that is a factor. Also, I do have a SLIGHTLY under-active thyroid but I have been taking medication for that for a few months now.

Now I am asking you! Has anyone else hear experience significant weight gain since coming on Bupe/coming off of opiates? Has anyone else developed an infinity for sweets? I don't exercise as much as I would like but I didn't a year ago either. This is a VERY frustrating side effects too me....I know you can't put a price on sobriety! I am just looking for a straight answer to see if I am not alone on this issue.

Looking forward to your answers,
Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first started suboxone I lost about 15 pounds in the first 2-5 months or so without even trying. However I've gained weight in the last 6 months for no apparent reason. For me, I don't think it correlated with my suboxone use. I only wish I could blame it on the suboxoxne - ROFL.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on Sub for 2 and 1/2 years now. I am at 16mgs a day and I have put on 35 pounds slowly since being on it. I think opiates in general will bloat you. Maybe you should look up opiates and weight gain. You may find more there.
Shit. look at Elvis :wink: ...........

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know, when I was taking opiates (Usually whatever I could get my hands on but the most abused with Hydrocodone an i'd usually take 20 10 MG a day or so) and I weighed about 40 pounds less this time a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Opiates in general cause me to get a sweet tooth. Difference is when I was on OC, I would go through withdrawal every now and again which would make me lose weight because I would stop eating so there was some balance there. On sub, this doesn't happen so I just plain have a sweet tooth. I also get "stuck" on certain foods. Like I will eat toast with butter and jam for dinner 2 months straight. Then eat fruit loops for dinner for 3 months. Then eat dried mangos for dinner for 2 months.

I have gained weight. BUT....this time around, I have been working out every day for about 45-55 minutes on the eliptical so I am trying to keep my weight down or maybe lose some if I can. I have heard many people mention the sweet tooth thing.

I have known people to lose 40 pounds simply by skipping their usual dessert in the evenings. So I can imagine you could gain 40 pounds if you started eating dessert in the evenings. It doesn't take much to gain weight. Plus....you are getting older and things just aren't the same as you get older. My stepson is 23 and he started gaining weight at about 21. He is still very thin, but he never had a habit of working out and was relying on metabolism to get him through. Doesn't happen forever. Welcome to getting old :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have seen multiple people write about the increased craving of sweats. That seems to be a somewhat common "complaint". Others have also talked about weight gain. The thing is, I really have to wonder if any of this is directly attributable to Suboxone. I really have to wonder if it is not much more directly related to all of the other changes that take place in someone's life when they put their addiction into remission. The "typical" junkie looses weight when in the depths of their active addiction. That seems to be very common. Then, when they get their disease into remission, they very often also start eating on a regular basis, exercising, etc. While using, eating well-balanced, regular, meals is very often the last thing on our mind. Plus, for many, they find that if they eat, their "high" is decreased - causing many to stop eating in order to get the most out of whatever their drug of choice is.

Why a partial opiate would cause weight gain is a great question. I mean, why would it? Do people who take, but do not abuse, daily pain medication gain weight? Saying that Suboxone causes weight gain is sort of like saying Oxycontin causes weight loss. Why else do cancer patients who take Oxycontin lose so much weight? It must be the oxy and not the cancer - right? Of course not. I just really think that any weight change - whether up or down - is a function of the many other life-style changes going on and has very, very little or more likely, nothing to do with Bup. I'm not as sure about the sweats, but I'd be much more inclined to look at all of the vast other changes that take place when going from active addiction to remission, as the cause of weight gain before claiming it's caused by Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My lifestyle has not changed though. When I first started taking pills I thought the whole eating thing you blow my "high" but after a while I didn't care and if anything it could cause me to eat. Although, I didn't have a balanced meal system I would just munch whenever. The only thing that is different from a year ago is that I'm unemployed (But look everyday)now and wasn't then. My sweet tooth isn't an all day thing it's just after dinner I just HAVE to eat something sweet. My brain is just programmed at this point. I know a lot of people when they put their addiction into remission they incorporate a lot of lifestyle changes but truth be told I really haven't. Nothing has been a sharp contrast from then and now besides the fact I'm not on the phone 24/7 making sure I have my next fix in line. I'm not directly attributing it to Bupe but I just want a straight answer from someone...Possibly in the medical field. Does Bupe maybe cause more water retention? I mean, as I have stated before in posts it makes me very, very constipated and most of my weight gain..Well...basically ALL of my weight gain has been focused in the stomach/waist region unfortunately. I know I am not the only person to experience this as other people on other sites have had some of the same questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

DonH, I never claimed all of my weight gain solely attributable Buprenorphine so lets not twist my words, please. The whole point of this was to see if other people have experienced this on this particular forum. If you enter in "Suboxone" followed by a "w" on google the first thing that pops up is "Suboxone weight gain" and there are hundred of claims of this so obviously I am not alone in this question.

Also when you type "Suboxone" followed by a W on google you will find weight loss after weight gain. Buprenorphine seems to be a very personal drug in that it effects everyone differently.

Post subject: Weight loss tip.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do not read this if you can't handle bathroom talk.

I just thought I would share a little tip on losing your suboxone weight. You can take that drug called Alli. If you are NOT on suboxone, that drug tends to make people poop their pants if they eat too much fat. But if you are on suboxone, you are all backed up anyways so you DON'T get loose stools as easily but still don't digest the fat. You just have to make sure you go to the bathroom if you have any gas because it can be a bit greasy. The stuff does work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Haha, with 21 years of severe constipation under my belt I can proudly say that I am immune to bathroom talk, lol. My mom was telling about Alli...She said it pretty much forces people to eat healthy since if you eat greasy stuff or stuff with high fat you will literally drop a deuce in your shorts on the spot. Have you used it with any positive results while on Suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, in fact your post made me think about it and I went searching through the cupboards to see if I had any and low and behold, I found a bottle and a half so I started taking it again yesterday or the day before. I wouldn't bank on it alone but I know people who have and they both dropped a lot of weight. I started a weight loss challenge at work about a year ago and the two people who took the alli both dropped over 15 pounds. I started the program and then dropped out because one of my medical conditions was preventing me from working out. Now that I have had my surgery, I am free to work out again which makes me very happy. I have been working out every day for 45 minutes to an hour on the eliptical and then I use my Wii fit to supplement that. Unfortunately, my elbow is still messed up even though I had the surgery for that too so I am a bit limited on certain activities (Yoga and strength training are both pretty difficult). I am now taking the alli on top of it. My goal is to lose about 20 pounds in the next 2 months. I will let you know how it goes.

When I took the alli before, it did help. I definitely dropped the weight faster. Without it I struggle to even lose a pound a week. With it I can usually drop about 1.5 to 2 pounds every week so it speeds up the process and helps prevent you from hitting a plateau that will make you give up all together. Overall, I need to lose about 50 pounds to be where I REALLY want to be. That will take some time.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jackcrack,

Yesterday, I took 2 Alli. So far I believe it helped since when i woke up I was literally running to the bathroom. I know, they were not intended for that purpose but anything that can help with my constipation is a plus. Also, my friend had a bottle of "Quicktrim" the stuff the Kardashian's sponsor. I was thinking about using it but I heard it gave you a kind of jittery feeling. That's why I've always hated taking Diet Pills that contain a bunch of Caffeine among other things.

Anyways, thanks for the tip about Alli. I appear to have lost the box that it came in, what are the dosing instructions on it? I remember hearing you can't take more than three a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are supposed to take one pill with any meal or snack that has fat in it, not to exceed 3 pills per day. I am laughing my ass off that you took 2. I am glad you didn't leave the house. On Sundays I let myself eat bad foods. So I took one with my bacon and eggs this morning. We went to the beach all day and when we got home ordered chinese. I took another. So far I am still ok and still haven't crapped today anyways. That suboxone really backs me up. Not in any painful way...but seriously it could be days before I go EVEN WITH the alli.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's what I think happened to me:

When I was using drugs, I wasn't really interested in food. The only thing I wanted to do was eat oxycontin and drink alcohol.

When I got on suboxone and started feeling good, I remembered that stuff called food and started eating again. And eating, and eating and eating.

In the last 18 months I've put on a good 25 pounds. And I'm now dieting and exercising to try to control that and lose some of the weight.

Post subject: What happened to me
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm 
I know that long-term opioid use can change hormones in the body, and that is what happened to me. After 6 months of Sub treatment, my Testosterone level was almost 0. I gained probably 40 lbs. over that time period. I always actually ate more when I was getting high, to settle my stomach due to the acetaminophen in the pills. My Sub doc told me that a certain percentage of his patients have this happen, and that this is a well-known phenomenon with methadone. Now I take Androgel daily to try to artificially raise my T levels back up to normal, because without T my metabolism almost stopped. Some of you who are getting really sluggish and gaining weight (men) should get a simple Testosterone test some time. It saved my life.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 pm 
donh wrote:
Do people who take, but do not abuse, daily pain medication gain weight? Saying that Suboxone causes weight gain is sort of like saying Oxycontin causes weight loss. Why else do cancer patients who take Oxycontin lose so much weight? It must be the oxy and not the cancer - right? Of course not.

How utterly ridiculous. First of all, a few milligrams of buprenorphine is equivalent to way more painkillers than most patients ever take. And pain patients that do not have wasting diseases but take large doses of oxycodone and morphine DO frequently gain weight.

And to say that discussing whether taking Suboxone may cause weight gain is equivalent to stating that cancer patients lose weight because of the Oxycontin they take is the most asinine statement I've ever read. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation, please restrain yourself!

Post subject: Weight Gain
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello -- I have been on Suboxone for 6 weeks now, taking 24 mgs a day and I have definitely gained weight. I have to say, and I hope I am not being dillusional, that I ate fairly well during my addiction that lasted over 10 years. Not all the time, but most of the time. So I am shocked at the weight gain over the past few weeks, but not enough for me to stop the subs. I also have an incredible sweet tooth right now. I can't get enough chocolate! I am eating 8 to 10 of the Reeses peanut butter cups (snack size), cookies and fruit snacks.... It is a bit nutty! :):) I have been telling myself that I will stop -- but I haven't yet......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

SubSupporter wrote:
donh wrote:
Do people who take, but do not abuse, daily pain medication gain weight? Saying that Suboxone causes weight gain is sort of like saying Oxycontin causes weight loss. Why else do cancer patients who take Oxycontin lose so much weight? It must be the oxy and not the cancer - right? Of course not.

How utterly ridiculous. First of all, a few milligrams of buprenorphine is equivalent to way more painkillers than most patients ever take. And pain patients that do not have wasting diseases but take large doses of oxycodone and morphine DO frequently gain weight.

And to say that discussing whether taking Suboxone may cause weight gain is equivalent to stating that cancer patients lose weight because of the Oxycontin they take is the most asinine statement I've ever read. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation, please restrain yourself!

So then, the jury is still out on whether or not Sub causes weight gain, but it apparently DOES cause irritability and obnoxious comments....how else can you explain that post?

Actually, I think donh's post was making a perfectly logical point.....how do we know it is the sub causing weight gain and not other factors (as the first part of the quote, the part you excluded, points out). The comparison simply illustrates the point....a cancer patient doesn't lose weight because of pain meds, but because of the illness....so maybe a sub patient doesn't gain weight because of the sub, but because of other factors (better diet, more healthy overall, mood changes....). We have discussed this at length all over the forum.....people blaming sub for everything under the sun.....some are side effects and some are just coincidental.

Either way, your response was WAY more obnoxious than necessary......I suggest you take your own advice on this one and restrain yourself. I mean, was all that required to make your point?

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, Elizabeth, you beat me to it. I can't add a thing, except "well said".

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: What the hell?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just happened to run across this. Comments in a post that I made four weeks ago get a response like this now? Then I see this exact same person who made this claim stating they are going to turn another poster on the forum into "authorities" for something or another. So I guess I’m not being singled out or anything. Perhaps the most telling comment I found was this one. It again comes from the exact same person who went off on me here.

"I struggle to make maybe $7500 a year because of a mental disability,"

Say no more.

PS - Thank you Hat Maker and Elizabeth for having my back.