It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh - just wanted to add that there's an apology posted on the thread you referred to. It was handled via PM so let's start from scratch, ok?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: sorry, I don't think so
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 pm 
I am allowed to disagree with someone's point. But to make fun of someone with a disability - that shows real character.
J

ps....this could go on forever, tit for tat. But I'm done with this thread, so don't bother.

Last edited by SubSupporter on Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had hypothyroidism for years, which means that I struggle with my weight. Before I got on Suboxone, I had been on a stable dose of thyroid hormone for a few years. About six months into my Sub treatment, the hypothyroid symptoms came back (extreme fatigue, my hair falling out, etc.) and I had my levels checked. I needed a pretty substantial increase in my meds to get my levels back to where they should be.

About six months after I stopped Sub, I went in for a routine bloodwork for my thyroid...and my TSH level was way too low. Meaning I needed to decrease my medication - something which has never happened in all the time I've had thyroid disease. I've been decreasing it for 3 months now and my TSH is still too low and I don't know what is going on. My doctor did say it is kinda strange to see someone recover thyroid function like that.

The point of this boring story is that I think Suboxone (and possibly other opiates) can mess with your endocrine system, which is what regulates metabolism. There are plenty of drugs which cause weight gain, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that Suboxone could have a hand in that.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sorry to see that this thread went a bit haywire -- this is a good topic :):) I am somewhat concerned about my crazy consumption of sweets! I just polished off 4 Reeses Peanutbutter cups and could eat 4 more. I also had 2 cookies at work. I am positive that it is the subs -- I wonder if there is a correlation as to how much one takes and weight gain? I am on a high dose at 24 mgs and have been downing the sweets since I started. Thanks for listening!

Post subject: Recovery & Weight Gain
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[b] Interesting thread and I've been thinking about this A LOT myself! I started taking sub 6 months ago. I take 8 mgs. per day. Over the past six months I've steadily gained 20 pounds. It has me pretty depressed, to be honest!

I searched for evidence that weight gain was a side effect of suboxone but I couldn't find any solid medical fact to substantiate it. My doctor also agreed that it's not a known side effect. I think opiates and suboxone (many meds for that matter) effect people differently and perhaps that's why there are so many opinions and/or disagreements on this matter. This is just my experience and two cents worth:

I've always struggeled with my weight. I've tried every diet known to man and always been all across the board but I'd never been able to lose enough to meet my ideal weight or the weight that I always wished I could be at until I started taking opiates regularly. Sure, prior to that, I might diet and lose some weight and that was great but I could never hit that 140 lb. goal that I'd had since I was a teenager. Scratch that, actually, I did it once, before my wedding without even trying simply from the stress, anxiety and excitement of it all. After getting married the weight started going back on and I yo-yo'd until I got pregnant - I hit my all time high weight at that point. After I had my child I weighed 279 - YIKES!!! Then I did the Atkins thing and took off quite a bit of weight - was feeling good about myself and had gotten down to about 190. That's when I was introduced to pain pills.

From then on the weight came off really easily! At one point I was only 130. Being pretty tall that made me look really gaunt in a way but I loved it! I think it depends somewhat on how opiates effect you. I know some people who take them and get drowsy or some people who take them and really aren't effected much either way, but for me, opiates made me feel "normal" in a way, if I didn't take too many. Then as my addiction progressed they made me feel super energetic. I literally lost the ability to relax. I had to constantly be doing something. And to top it all off, I was almost NEVER hungry. Where I used to crave food, I simply didn't any more and I could take or leave it. Matter of fact, sometimes family would almost force me to eat because they would not I'd not eaten in a few days. I didn't take the opiates to lose weight but it sure was an added benefit and one of the deterents, for me, as far as quitting goes.

I didn't notice much as far as weight gain in the first month or two of taking sub, but then it started creeping up. And I was definately to blame because I was actually hungry again and having cravings for food again. I was never one for sweets - never had a sweet tooth - I just enjoyed my butter, gravy, sauce and such - but now? Well I find myself eating cake, ice cream, cookies - things that I never really craved or ate with any regularity before. So, for me, I don't think it's a side effect of the suboxone, but that's just me. I think for me it's more of a side effect of being off opiates. You know kind of like when a smoker quits cigarettes they gain weight. It seems like weight gain is very common whenever someone is quitting an addictive item (cigs, booze, etc.). I wonder, then, if it's not something psychological too?

For me, I know that 6 months into taking subs, I'm now VERY depressed and having a very hard time with fatigue. I didn't have these problems while on opiates nor did I have them my first few months on subs so I'm not sure why they have cropped up now. The depression and malaise I think were a part of the reason I got addicted to pain pills and I know a part of the reason I relapsed a few times on them after I'd quit cold turkey. One thing's sure, it sounds like everyone who has posted on this thread has gained weight since starting suboxone, is that correct? If that is the case then it might stand to reason that there is some cause (whether a side effect of the sub or lack of the D.O.C., i don't know). Or I suppose it could just be that those who haven't experienced weight gain with it simply haven't been interested in posting on this thread.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had experiences similar to what I described above as far as not only the weight gain but massive fatigue and depression that presented itself months into sub treatment? Also, hope maybe it's of some interest and help.

Oh, and BTW I'm not really constipated on the sub. Pretty regular actually which I find to be a great relief since the pain pills often made me horribly constipated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BUT I do blame my love of candy more than ever when on subs for some of this hefty poundage!!! I also have gained a good 20 lbs since my last induction a couple of months ago til now. I would agree with previous posts that it could easily be attributed to finally discovering food again after shooting dope/sniffing O for many moons. Its nice to eat at least a couple of meals a day now that i take my sub how I should. Another thing our weight gain could be from is it could be for us younger addicts is that our metabolism is finally catching up with us as we reach our mid twenties and can no longer get away with eating whatever the fuck we want, when we want and not excersizing to boot. Like someone said earlier, I think this all MOSTLY boils down to the WELCOME TO GETTING OLD CLUB ha ha ha.... On a quick sidenote i occasionally peruse the subsux site for different opinions as i did tonight and I have to say that some of those peeps are downright fucking batshit. I love reading everyones more logical/intelligent opinions over here on this site whether they be for or against sub use. Have a goodnight yall. Sub helped keep a needle outta my arm again today praise God & thanks buddy...

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BeenieB wrote:
[b] Interesting thread and I've been thinking about this A LOT myself! I started taking sub 6 months ago. I take 8 mgs. per day. Over the past six months I've steadily gained 20 pounds. It has me pretty depressed, to be honest!

I searched for evidence that weight gain was a side effect of suboxone but I couldn't find any solid medical fact to substantiate it. My doctor also agreed that it's not a known side effect. I think opiates and suboxone (many meds for that matter) effect people differently and perhaps that's why there are so many opinions and/or disagreements on this matter. This is just my experience and two cents worth:

I've always struggeled with my weight. I've tried every diet known to man and always been all across the board but I'd never been able to lose enough to meet my ideal weight or the weight that I always wished I could be at until I started taking opiates regularly. Sure, prior to that, I might diet and lose some weight and that was great but I could never hit that 140 lb. goal that I'd had since I was a teenager. Scratch that, actually, I did it once, before my wedding without even trying simply from the stress, anxiety and excitement of it all. After getting married the weight started going back on and I yo-yo'd until I got pregnant - I hit my all time high weight at that point. After I had my child I weighed 279 - YIKES!!! Then I did the Atkins thing and took off quite a bit of weight - was feeling good about myself and had gotten down to about 190. That's when I was introduced to pain pills.

From then on the weight came off really easily! At one point I was only 130. Being pretty tall that made me look really gaunt in a way but I loved it! I think it depends somewhat on how opiates effect you. I know some people who take them and get drowsy or some people who take them and really aren't effected much either way, but for me, opiates made me feel "normal" in a way, if I didn't take too many. Then as my addiction progressed they made me feel super energetic. I literally lost the ability to relax. I had to constantly be doing something. And to top it all off, I was almost NEVER hungry. Where I used to crave food, I simply didn't any more and I could take or leave it. Matter of fact, sometimes family would almost force me to eat because they would not I'd not eaten in a few days. I didn't take the opiates to lose weight but it sure was an added benefit and one of the deterents, for me, as far as quitting goes.

I didn't notice much as far as weight gain in the first month or two of taking sub, but then it started creeping up. And I was definately to blame because I was actually hungry again and having cravings for food again. I was never one for sweets - never had a sweet tooth - I just enjoyed my butter, gravy, sauce and such - but now? Well I find myself eating cake, ice cream, cookies - things that I never really craved or ate with any regularity before. So, for me, I don't think it's a side effect of the suboxone, but that's just me. I think for me it's more of a side effect of being off opiates. You know kind of like when a smoker quits cigarettes they gain weight. It seems like weight gain is very common whenever someone is quitting an addictive item (cigs, booze, etc.). I wonder, then, if it's not something psychological too?

For me, I know that 6 months into taking subs, I'm now VERY depressed and having a very hard time with fatigue. I didn't have these problems while on opiates nor did I have them my first few months on subs so I'm not sure why they have cropped up now. The depression and malaise I think were a part of the reason I got addicted to pain pills and I know a part of the reason I relapsed a few times on them after I'd quit cold turkey. One thing's sure, it sounds like everyone who has posted on this thread has gained weight since starting suboxone, is that correct? If that is the case then it might stand to reason that there is some cause (whether a side effect of the sub or lack of the D.O.C., i don't know). Or I suppose it could just be that those who haven't experienced weight gain with it simply haven't been interested in posting on this thread.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had experiences similar to what I described above as far as not only the weight gain but massive fatigue and depression that presented itself months into sub treatment? Also, hope maybe it's of some interest and help.

Oh, and BTW I'm not really constipated on the sub. Pretty regular actually which I find to be a great relief since the pain pills often made me horribly constipated.

Thanks!

I've gained all of this weight and I'm only 21. Over the past year i've gone from about 150-160 to about 220. Now, I'm out of work, and have gained a little bit of an infinity for sweets but all in all I eat much healthier. In the morning I eat my cereal, then I eat dinner, which everything is made with smart balance butter spread, high fiber, I don't drink any soft drinks, and when I do eat ice cream it's mostly Frozen Yogurt, half the fat, half the sugar. Although,, lately I have found this stuff called Candy Jar from Blue Bell...It's caramel flavored ice cream with peanut butter cups, chocolate chunks, peanut brittle, chunks of caramel, and chocolate crisp pieces. I am literally more addicted to this then I ever was too pills, lol. But anyways, the thing that befuddles me is besides the ice cream, I now eat MUCH more healthy then I ever did then. I don't even drink anymore, and on TOP of all of that, I used to work at an Italian restaurant. Everyday I was eating pasta, brick oven pizza, Alfredo sauce, lemon butter cream sauce, chicken parmigiana, Mud pie, cheesecake, soft drinks, fried mozzarella sticks, fried calamari, bacon wrapped scallops and shrimp, fresh made bread, Cesar salad...Anyways, you get the point! Also, my general life style is still the same, aside from using, and tracking down my time-retarded dealers. Do I work out as much as I would like? No. So, besides not working the only thing different in my life is the Subs. I have a doctors appointment next week so I'm going to inquire about maybe getting my testosterone levels checked since I've read a lot of posts on here about opiate abuse effecting testosterone levels. The only problem is I don't have insurance so i'll have to shell out a bunch of money that I don't have for tests that I can't afford. Also, my energy feels kind of drained...I get up in the morning and can barely keep my eyes open for the next two hours (i have a crazy schedule so I go to bed around 5 AM, wake up at 1:30PM) then, around 9 PM I hit this wall and I start getting tired again, then I get my second wind and I'm up till five. I am on pills for thyroid as well so It shouldn't be that.

I've asked my first and second sub doctor and every pharmacist I've encountered about a correlation between Suboxone and weight gain and most of them look at me like I'm crazy since they've never heard of it. Then, I get online and I see literally hundreds of claims between this site and others one I visit saying the same thing I am. I'll keep everyone posted about what happens with the doctor...Hopefully I can get some money between now and then so I can get my testosterone levels checked.

Good Luck, Everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi mayunholdup :)

When was the last time you had your TSH checked? The subs could affect your levels as far as I've seen other people document. I think DOQ mentioned it here on this thread. I hope that all your labs are ok and I hope it's not the subs especially since they're helping.

I don't have much experience on subs (today is day 3) but I do have experience w/ getting clean and sober at age 21 and suddenly having a problem w/ my weight. For me my greatest metabolism changes were 21 and post 35. I found I could NOT eat dessert or have cookies at meetings and not gain weight. I gained at least 20 lbs that winter due to the holidays and inactivity. Fortunately exercise helped some but I wasn't crazy about it either. I did 30 minutes/ 5 days a week and lost that weight.

I remember being devastated initially because I never had to watch anything I ate growing up or in my teens. I never had to exercise either. When I got clean/ sober I craved sweets all the time and they were everywhere and I wanted them in a way I never had before. I can remember taking special trips to the supermarket w/ my fiancee for ice cream and cookies. A woman's body and metabolism is said to change every 7 years. I don't have facts to back that up but being a woman and getting straight at your age I know I was shocked and pissed that I had to suddenly watch what I ate.

I also wanted you to know when I got off prescribed clonzepam 3 years ago I gained 30lbs out of the blue! It seemed my metabolism completely stopped working. My TSH levels did dip but not enough to get me thyroid meds. I managed to lose 20lbs through the South Beach diet combined w/ Weight Watchers and some mild exercise. I was in PAWS for almost 2 years so it was hard to work out w/ the fatigue and other debilitating symptoms. Then suddenly the last 10lbs just melted off last October w/ no effort on my part.

Metabolism is a strange and frustrating thing. Before you panic you may want to watch your empty calorie intake and try to get some movement in. I know it's hard w/ the fatigue but it helps us. Especially where endorphins are concerned and that's what our brains are after w/ the sugar and the chocolate.

Good luck. Hope you get some answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:34 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Methadone really put the weight on me. I'm 6 foot and usually weight 185. Last winter I was at 235 and moving up like there was no stopping me. I couldn't get into any of my old jeans and had to move up from a 34 to a 38 inch waist. When they started to get tight I knew I had to put a stop to it.

Now I've managed to work myself down to 205 and wearing clothes I haven't been able to get into for over a year. I'll be happy if I can lose another 5 lbs.

Methadone also gave me edema so that was part of it. My feet would get so swelled up it hurt on top of them to walk and I think I developed congestive heart failure due to it. I'm alright now but was to the point if I even walked fast I felt dizzy.

I don't know how or if Sub will effect me in that regard but am going to keep an eye on my scales. I haven't been hungry or craving sweets today like I might on Methadone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just wanted to add that I gained weight since starting suboxone 18 months ago. Significant weight gain. I know my body so I'm certain it is because of suboxone. I have experienced increased appetite. I have gained about 20 pounds in 18 months, totally not like me, I'm fairly tall for a female at 5'9 and I've never weighed more than 150 pounds other than during pregnancy which I've always been able to shed after pregnancy. At my all time high a couple of months ago I weighed 174 pounds, outgrew all my clothes and felt very depressed and unattractive. In an attempt to resolve my depression and get my body back I have been on a strict weight loss regimen for eight weeks and it's been very difficult to lose this weight. I can normally get serious about weight loss and drop the first ten within a couple of weeks but it's been hard. I'm losing weight but it's slow and painful. This morning I weighed 162 so it's working but did I say it was hard, lol.