It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on suboxone maintenance and need some help. I made a BIG mistake and smoked pot two days in a row last week and will be urine tested on monday. If I show up with thc in urine I will lose my .5mg klonopin script which in need very badly for social reasons. Can someone help me know how to rapidly get thc out of my urine without affecting the suboxone/klonopin levels for test.

This will be a one time fix because I learned my lesson and know I should never jeopardize my recovery with illegal drug use. it's not worth all this worry and possible repercussions

PLEASE HELP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey anni52 - sorry to hear you're in such a pickle. I don't know of any way to get the thc out of your system quickly. When I was a pot smoker & had to do drug tests (like for a new job or something) I usually went to a head shop and bought one of those drinks that are supposed to help you pass the test. I never falied the UA, but I think it might just work by diluting your urine and then adding in some vitamins and whatnot so it doesn't look so diluted. If you go with the dilution method, just make sure you take your other meds that day so they will be present in your urine.

My husband's method of choice is high-dose niacin, but I've never found anything but anecdotal evidence to back that up.

If you're not a regular smoker and you just smoked a little bit over those two days you might be ok. The test is a threshold test, so the THC in your urine has to be at a certain level to trigger a positive. I know that for daily smokers they say it takes up to 30 days to clear your system, but I don't know how true that is for occasional smokers.

Is there any way you could just be honest with your doctor, admit you made a mistake, and hope for understanding? Obviously, you know your doctor and I don't, so you'll have to decide if that's a good idea for you. Otherwise, could you call in and postpone your next appointment?

One more thing you could try is to go to the drug store and get a home drug test kit and see if you come up positive for thc. Then at least you'll know where you stand and you can plan accordingly.

I'm sorry your doc threatens to take away your anxiety meds for this. That's just punitive and not really helpful. Hopefully some other members will chime in with more info for you. For what it's worth, I smoked pot off and on through my Sub treatment and it never came up on my drug screens, so I guess I was lucky. I hope things work out for you, let us know how it goes.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your advice and information is much appreciated. I broke the rules and will need to suck it up and accept the consequences. I do have access to a home test but will wait and use it this weekend. The main thing I was wondering if most of the quick cleanse kits permanantly removed THC without affected other drug levels like suboxone. Or else just a temporary cleanse of all drugs within a short time prior to test.... and then levels return. I always figured these aids were for employment screens?

Once again thanks for your thoughts.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Anni,

I agree with everything DOQ said - I think she covered it all. Just one thought: You could test yourself this weekend, then if it's positive drink some of that stuff that was mentioned, and test yourself again a day or two later. Then be sure to take your normal meds. Then perhaps you might be a little more confident. Have you ever failed a UA since you've been seeing this doctor? Like DOQ said, it just depends on your doctor how s/he will weigh all the variable if you 'fess up.

Good luck and please do let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Depending on the test used, they can detect if you have used a covering mechanism. One common misconception is that Goldenseal will help you beat a THC screen.

From the WIKI page on Goldenseal:
Goldenseal became a part of American folklore associated with chemical testing errors, from pharmacist John Uri Lloyd's 1900 novel Stringtown on the Pike where goldenseal is confused with strychnine. It has been used on occasions in this century to attempt to mask the use of morphine in race horses (without success). [24]

Two studies have demonstrated no effect of oral goldenseal on urine drug assays over water alone.[25] Subjects who drank large amounts of water had the same urine drug levels as subjects who took goldenseal capsules along with the water. Because of the popular perception that this is true, drug tests will take the presence of hydrastine in the urine as likely proof that a person being tested is a drug user.[citation needed]

You may fine the information on this website useful:
http://best4drugtest.com/_passthctest.html

Good luck.

I sympathize with you, because despite being a drug addict and on suboxone, I still use cannabis from time to time because it really, really helps with the nausea that I experience due to my Hepatitis. My Subxone Dr. isn't too happy about it, but he's yet to kick me out of his program for it. I've tested positive for THC every time I've given him a sample, and I've been under his care for almost two years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's absolute BULLSHIT that as a responsible, reasonable adult(and I'll assume you are) that you cannot enjoy a few tokes of weed. Yet it's totally fine to go have a few beers, because it's "socially accepted". I realize that some recovering addicts may find this a trigger to go and use again, or turn pot, or alcohal into an addiction, or in the case of pot, a habit. I don't belive it's addicting, at least it's certianly not physically addicting. If you don't have the discapline needed to use things in moderation, then don't. Simple as that. I've learned through my road to recovery that mental edge needed to live a life I want to live, without having to decline a simple beer that i want to have a a cookout or something you know? Whats the point of life if not I say :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I understand your point, and to some extent I agree, but consider this: If we are taking suboxone, it's very likely that we are drug addicts, right? Not too big of a leap in logic there. Now, drug addicts, as a matter of common sense, should not be engaging in the recreational use of any mind altering substances, it's completely contra-indicated with respect to addicts.

Bottom line is, I do not think it is the least bit unreasonable for a doctor who is treating a patient with suboxone to want that patient to avoid the recreational use of other drugs.

Personally, my situation is a little bit different, because I do only use it rarely and I use it to treat nausea from a documented illness, so my doctor lets me slide on it. How frequently do I use it? I haven't touched it since last October. When I say occasional, I really mean it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also have Hep C :( I just found out about a month ago. I don't really have any symptoms, but I was having some odd stomach pains and loss of attitite at times, and I attribute this to the Hep C. Are you taking interferon? I hear that over 50% of people can become free of Hep C with the new combination treatments or whatever( I hear they sucks to take though) I have been reading alot about it, but I don't have a gastroenterologist yet. Gotta make the appointment. I have had an ultrasound though, and everything was fine on that. I am kinda worried about having to have a liver biopsy too, I hear that sucks too. But I also hear there is some new special type of ultrasound that can tell the extent of liver damage without a biopsy. So I dunno, just another thing for me to have to overcome. Overcoming addiction, my father passing away, now this? God forbid I have a smoke though eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Even though I am not a pot smoker, I think that alchohol is much worse that a joint. I do neither. If you can't get your urine clean, can you take in somebody else's urine sample in a small bottle in your pocket or is somebody watching you the whole time you are peeing? Sneaky heh?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you are not a daily smoker you should be fine after 72 hours but I would still test myself before going. I have smoked and passed drug screens after 4 or 5 days of smoking but I wasent smoking every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Concerning this topic, I dunno if any of you guys remember any of my last posts(in the "still messing around" section, go figure) about me being worried about my suboxone doctor kicking me out for smoking pot.

Well, here is the update. Not only did she not have a problem with me smoking(after I explained to her why I use it, as I've explained many times here as well) But she is getting me in touch with a medical marijuana doctor, and giving me a reccomendation. :) She said she has had many patients that use marijuana during suboxone treatment and have been VERY succesfull, not to say anyone should start smoking weed during recovery, these are my very individual results.

I should mention that I do have Hep C, and thats why she is reccomending marijuana to me. However it makes the point that OBVIOUSLY not everyone who smokes pot, is going to go right back to their old habits, like many people seem to have in their heads. So I hope all the naysayers see this post :)

Thanks guys, good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i haven't started sub yet but I am very anxiously waiting for my doctor to call me back (been 2 weeks, wtf? c'mon!). She said that I didn't need to stop smoking completely at first but she did say that in order to stay on subs that there needs to be a smaller amount of thc in the sample each time. Maybe if you haven't smoked very much you will be alright? I have a hunch that the best thing to get thc out of your system is APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. It pulls out the toxins out of your fat cells and it highly alkalizes your body which is very good for detoxification purposes.