It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My new doctor told me yesterday at my first visit after he has consulted with my other addiction medicine doctor and my regular MD that I should be on subutex rather than suboxone. He explained to me the difference, but, I need to know more in "laymans" terms. He told me that I don't need a saftey valve. He also explained to me that he would not mind if I were on it for the rest of my life since I have been so stablized on 24 mill for a couple years. He knows he doesn't have to take urinary tests either and that I would only have to come in once every six months which is fantastic to me. I am what you call a "low maintenace" patient that does not need a fuss and attention. Being on 24 mill a day, what it does for me is make me feel like a "normal" person. I do not need to seek out other form of medication, not even alchohol, to feel normal. For most of my life I lived day to day like something was missing. I don't know how to explain it. I am sure that I must have inherited some bad genetics in the brain area and lack the chemistry that normal people have to live a happy life. That was what was so frustrating to me. I had no reason to be depressed. I hated antidepressants because they did nothing for me and I was not depressed in the first place. I just didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. Now, I am the happiest I have ever been in my whole life and I am not taking away any credit to my creator God Jesus who has done so much for me and I am grateful for all that he did for me in my life like delivering me from alchohol and cigarettes and a pretty rotten narcistic unrealistic attitude and a selfish self centered life and breast cancer also. We are imperfect humans beings born into a fallen imperfect world and I don't put any blame on anyone, especially God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, and I am happy you are doing so good. It sounds like you have a rare doctor that is allowing you to come in every 6 months and has no problem prescribing subutex. The only difference between suboxone and subutex is the naloxone. Suboxone is bup and naloxone and Subutex is just bup. When Suboxone is taken sublingually the naloxone is not absorbed. It was added to prevent people from shooting Suboxone. However I read of many people who shoot their suboxone so it doesn't even seem to prevent it. So essentially you are still taking the same medicine, since the bup is what keeps you out of withdrawl and holds your cravings at bay. Also Subutex comes in a generic tablet that is WAY CHEAPER than name brand sub. I am not sure if you have insurance that covers it but if not that is a huge bonus. I wish you much more happiness in the future!