It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, I'm new here to this message board. I basically just wanted to talk about my experience with suboxone and pregnancy. First off, I am 25 weeks pregnant. 3 years ago I was addicted to roxicodone 30 mg's and taking about 10 plus a day. I started the suboxone treatment and have been on subs for 3 years. I am so great full for this medication.....I would have surely died if I hadn't discovered it. I found out I was pregnant when I was given my routine drug urine test at my sub doc. He never kicked me out......he just told me I needed to stay on subs while pregnant so I don't risk the chance of going back on oxy. I was weary at first, because I have heard horrible stories of withdrawal in newborns while the mother has been taking subs during pregnancy. I started researching online the side effects and all and started to question whether I should be switched to subtex or not. My doctor wouldn't switch me to subtex for some reason......so I started to look up other docs in my area who would accept me being pregnant and all. Finally, I found a doctor who was willing to put me on subtex while pregnant. I believe it is better not to take suboxone while pregnant because of the naloxone in it, and the less meds the baby is on at that is better. I felt completely normal switching from suboxone to subtex. I take 2mg's of subtex daily. My obgyn tells me that I shouldn't worry about the effects of subtex in newborns because he has had many patients taking way more of a dosage than me and their babies were born completely fine. My subtex doc tells me that the worst that can happen is that they may have to keep my newborn in the hospital for a couple days and watch her. I was sooooo scared that my baby would be born in withdrawal that I then completely stopped taking the subtex. After the fourth day I did not feel good at all. First off, I couldnt sleep for anything. I had an appetite, but I couldn't stop getting the cravings of doing Roxie's. I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin and my legs were restless. This went on for about a week, then I just couldn't take it anymore, so I started my subtex again. But I realized something.......me altogether stopping from taking the subtex would just cause my unborn child to go into withdrawal in utero as well. I could of had a miscarriage because of the stress I was putting on the baby. The only way you can minimalize the chances of withdrawal in your newborn is to try to wean yourself off of the drug and try to take the least amount possible when you have your baby. At least this is what my sub doc told me. I do not recommend anyone pregnant or not to just abruptly stop taking bupe meds! My cravings were so severe that I was seriously thinking about taking oxy again while pregnant! I know I wasn't in my right mind at the time....this is how powerful these drugs are. I also want everyone to know that it is possible to completely wean off of suboxone. I had been on subs before my full3year treatment and completely weaned off and felt normal. The reason why I started using again was because I didn't have my back up of subs at the time I felt triggered to use oxy agin......so I just used and used until it turned into my full blown addiction again. I also wan to stress that if you want to be clean and stay clean for the rest of your life, then you need to do whatever your doctor tells you to do. Don't just stop treatment abruptly like I did before.....it will only cause you to relapse. So anyway, I am now 25 weeks pregnant, preparing for my baby girl to be here and am currently on 2mgs of subtex daily. If anyone has any questions about their treatment or for me feel free to ask. I know more than the average person about suboxone treatment and I also am a registered nurse and working on my bachelors degree right now. I really hope my story helps someone.[fade]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your story and welcome to the forum! You have obviously put a lot of thought into your pregnancy and subutex use during it. Everything I have read on the subject lines up with what you've discovered. Don't quit cold turkey or it could cause a miscarriage, plenty of babies born of moms on sub have no withdrawal symptoms, etc.

I hope you keep us updated on your pregnancy as time passes. I'm glad things are going well with your studies. I'm sure that you are a compassionate nurse given that you've been through your own struggles. I wish you well!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much. And yes I see patients who are taking suboxone all the time, as I live in the ol' pill mill state of Florida. I of course never let anyone know I am takin sub as well, but I know a lot of nurses and docs here who still call you a "junkie" when they see patients who are being treated with sub.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am on suboxone, without a script, and I am pregnant also. I am guessing 9 or 10 weeks. I will find out for sure tomorrow my exact date. My husband and I both worry about the health of our child bc of suboxone, we really don't want to cause our baby harm. I was honest with my doc and I expect tomorrow for the doc to recommend me to a suboxone doctor. Which I hope I can afford. Sheesh this stuff is scary. Thank you for sharing your story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You won't have anything to worry about FingersCrossed. Suboxone won't cause any type of malformation or health problems for your child. The only thing that may happen with a low chance is withdrawl in the baby after it's been born. My doctor says that I should try to be on the lowest dose possible when I have the baby. You will be fine...I am glad you were honest from the beginning, it's only better that way. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you!! My husband would never forgive me, and I would never forgive myself. I feel that your completely right and honest by saying that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for sharing! i just had a baby 5 months ago on subutex :) my insurance just abruptly ran out so im in the middle of slowly weaning myself, i was only taking a small amount also but its rough... trying to take care of a 5 month old and w/ding is def not easy... hoping my insurance is figured out so my dr and i, if needed, can figure out an actual decrease plan, since im basically just winging it right now :/