It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Suboxone and 12 step
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Iggy-

Thank you for the support and jump off advice. I'm glad that you're considering going to a meeting. That makes me even more happy to know that my story is positively impact another Suboxone recovery warrior. I know for me that my biggest problem is me and my thinking and I notice that when I was only doing meds I always relapsed or hopped on something else which eventually lead back to the cycle of self abuse we suffer from. I really feel that reaching out in any way to do something good for yourself is an amazing thing. I know it's hard for us dealing with this illness but we have to remember to be strong and keep the faith. In active addiction I let other people run my life and had me running scared but no more and never again will I allow someone to make me feel bad about myself and my life choices. If you ever need to talk feel free to dm me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor thank you for sharing your story and experience. When you brought up the idea of being worried for my future it allowed me to examine my recovery and convictions. I thought to myself, "would you be ok with not going to meetings anymore" and I was honestly able to weigh it out and say, "no, I would not be doing as well without them" sometimes when someone asks you a question you haven't exactly thought of it can throw you off and that's you did for me and I'm glad you did because I now know without a doubt in my mind that what I am doing is the right thing for me and by me. Thank you for that!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Open mind- I agree it would be like, The Avengers for recovery. I agree it is an us vs them mentality and by alienating one another were not helping one another. I feel that the main reason their isn't a NA/SMART hybrid is that it's a lot of work with no financial payoff but I hope over time that changes.

I honestly know that without Suboxone in the beginning I wouldn't have been able to physically or mentally start repairing my life the way that I did. What a lot of people don't realize is that once you've been an opiate user for over 2 years it's an extremely difficult task to get off of them and most long term users statistically don't make it. I find that by shunning Suboxone users people are really doing a disservice to those that are desperate. We are talking about people's lives and in NA if they are telling them since they did it so can you. It doesn't work like that for most people at least with Suboxone you're giving them a chance to see what life can be like without the obsession of using. I know it's been the best thing for me to aid in my recovery and I hope to see the day where people don't shun others that have no hope for themselves. I know that Suboxone helped but for me it was because I was ready to put all that behind me and learn to live again that it worked for me.

Also, I'm with you on the caffeine and cigs as I sit outside before meetings and crack up at the fact that they wouldn't allow me to judge them for smoking but they feel they can judge me for being on Suboxone.

It's a crazy world and I hope someday there is more enlightenment in 12 step. It's better to have someone properly using Suboxone and living while they figure their life out then free from all meds and dead in the streets. I think the saying, "they no not what they do" comes to mind. If people in NA really understood that statistics don't lie and the majority of us don't make it they may think twice before shunning someone. My sponsor has told me that people have killed themselves over being shunned for being on meds in recovery and I'm very grateful that I didn't let them scare me away because staying sober has required a well rounded program which includes 12 step