It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and Sleep
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One question I do have about Suboxone is how it affects your sleep patterns? The one downfall I have always had when trying to get off any drug or when I quit drinking was insomnia. As long as I can sleep I feel confident that I can do what needs to be done. However after a few sleepless nights my resolve seems to vanish and I end up going back to my old behavior...
I would really appreciate to hear anyone's input on this subject.
Did you have problems sleeping?
If so how long did it last?
Thanks for your answers in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tierre0,

Are you talking about just starting suboxone, already being stable on sub, or in the process of tapering off sub? Depending on where you are at in your sub treatment will depend on what the cause might be. (I'm sorry for not recalling more personal info about you.) Maybe if you could offer some additional info we could offer more insight. Thanks.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

No Suboxone No sleep !!!!! I only take .75mg of Suboxone per day, I take .5mg of it 2 hours before I hit the hay... I've been like this since I started self medicating myself with my only DOC Tramadol... I also needed tramadol on my recepters to sleep.. I guess Suboxone like Tramadol has me my by the ____s.. Before my C6-C7 spinal fusion I would have never slept without the Tramadol because the pain shooting down my right arm was so bad.. After the surgery I realilized I was hooked.. Insomnia issues was my main reason for abusing the Tramadol.. I'm so glad I got down to .75mg when I did, I really dont know if I could do it again, Tapering off Suboxone will add a few yrs to you life, Good Luck, Mike

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Painter -

At doses as low as you are taking, suboxone acts more like a full agonist rather than the partial agonist that it is. What this means is that your opiate receptors are not saturated at all and don't come close to staying saturated. It also means that you "feel" your doses. This is very likely why it makes you sleepy. I don't recall if this is your maintenance dose or if you're tapering off. But this is the reason that people on maintenance are suggested to stay at or above the ceiling. It can't get them high at those doses and they can't "feel" their dose. It also better addresses their cravings. Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A little more info about me: As of yet I haven't started my treatment, I am waiting until I complete a second Surgery (total knee replacement) before I start the suboxone. I was just wondering what to expect because sleep has always been the thing that causes the most problems when I try to come off the morphine. After a few days of not sleeping I generally end up going back to the higher doses. So my question pertains to when you first start taking soboxone and you find your maintainence dose. Do you sleep well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recall your situation now. Thanks for the reminder.

Actually, it tends to vary person to person, at least until they stabilize. Some people have trouble sleeping, others sleep really well on it. Unfortunately, you may just have to wait and see. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. For me, I don't really sleep any differently on the suboxone than I did when I was on opiates. Or I might sleep a bit better, or not as hard - if that makes any sense.

I know it's a bit nerve-wracking waiting to start suboxone, and that's normal. You'll be making a huge change, even though it's for the better - it's still a change. Hang in there and if I haven't said it before, good luck with your surgery.

Post subject: Hell yes!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most people I've heard from on this issue sleep well on Suboxone. I slept like a baby on Sub before I started tapering. 12 hours a night...sometimes even more!! I had no sleep problems.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:57 pm 
I agree with Laddertipper on this one. I don't recall hearing (reading) many complaints about insomnia while taking Suboxone or Subutex. Insomnia seems to be an almost universal problem when withdrawing from opiates, however! I know it was a killer for me while in cold-turkey w/d from my former drugs of choice! I don't blame you for being nervous about the prospect of facing sleepless nights.
I really doubt you will though. I slept fine from day one on Sub. If anything, I'm a bit more sleepy than usual, and I know I've heard (read) several people feeling that way also....just overly sleepy or tired. That tends to get better once you've stabilized on the appropriate dose though.
I'd try to worry about that issue much. I'll bet you'll sleep just fine. I hope everything goes well with your surgery. It will be so nice to have that behind you and be able to get off the pain meds and feel better! Keep us posted on how everything goes!