It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone and rail road
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I'm new here and got a question. Just got put on suboxone film last week. I went to fill my script at pharmacy and was told it had to be pre-approved first. I'm a conductor on a class one Railroad. Now my question is if I have my doctor call and talk to insurance are they (insurance company) obligated to report it to my employer or is this just standard procedure for all insurance companies? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think this is just standard procedure... I'm not sure if it is for all insurance companies. Mine is thru Anthem. I went ahead and got 14 strips filled and paid out of pocket while I waited for the approval from my dr. for my insurance company... which I thought was pretty stupid because if my doc wasn't approving it, he wouldn't have written the script now would he? LOL I just think it's one of those things that the insurance companies need to try to keep costs down because Suboxone is such an expensive prescription.

I don't think the insurance company is required to or will contact your employer, I think this may be a HIPPA law... but, I can't tell you with 100% certainly. I can tell you that this was the case for me as well tho.

Good Luck! Someone will probably jump on here that knows for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well for any other job I really wouldn't be worried at all. Only reason I'm concerned is cause I'm required to carry a federal certification from the federal Railroad association (f.r.a.). I think I read somewhere maybe on here that if a doctor found out a airline pilot was on sub that they were required to report it. This got me wondering if anything was in place with this new cert. it just started this year so alot of unknowns still.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone is among many, many medicines that are not approved for use by pilots. That does not mean that any doctor would have to inform the FAA. Pilots have to undergo special physicals with special designated physicians. Pilots are required by law to report all medications they take, and then the doc acts on what they report. This is spelled out to all FAA physicians and pilots. If there are medications you are prohibited from taking and still operating or being licensed as a railroad engineer that list should be available someplace to you. However a typical run-of-the-mill everyday doctor will have no way of knowing what those drugs are or whom to even report you to. Just like normal everyday doctors would have no idea about the FAA regulations and who to report a pilot to. So, you may need to investigate your industry as to any prohibited medications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok thanks for the info. I just remembered something about pilots not being able to take sub and doctors reporting. I may have misread. Anywho I haven't seen any list of meds we can't have although I'm about 99 % sure we can't operate if we get prescribed hydro, oxy, or anything of that nature. Guess I'm just gonna have to call my union rep and beat around the bush as not to incriminate myself to get a for sure answer. Thanks for all the responses though guys. I appreciate the help and your knowledge.