It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Looking for a bit of guidance. My daughter recently started suboxone. She is perscribed 2mg klonopin, 125 mg lamotrigine and 40 mg paxil for anietxy, depression, PTSD, and bipolar 2 disorder.
When she first stated on subs, the dose was 6mg which wasn't enough as she used within a week. They upped her to 8mg a day, but now she sleeps ALL DAY! She tried taking the sub at night, but she was up all night. I was thinking a schedule something like this:
930 am...morning meds ( 1mg kpin and 75 mg lamotrigine )
1pm 1/2 a sub strip
330 pm...after meds ( 1 mg kpin and 50 mg lamotrigine )
7 pm second 1/2 of sub
930/10 paxil.
She's transitioning to a new therapist and psych doc so doesn't have an appointment with either for a couple weeks.
Any opinions are welcome!
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:45 pm 

This is not abnormal for the first couple/few weeks. I'm wondering if the klonopin helps her sleep. If so, the only change I'd make is dosing the klonopin toward the evening. Otherwise your schedule looks fine to my NOT doctor-educated eye.

The best thing for people on suboxone is just to take it in one dose and forget about it. As addicts, we are prone to being hyper-aware of how our bodies feel all of the time. It's bad for us to get used to popping a pill to make ourselves feel "better" even if it's just a placebo effect. But I understand that you are trying to layer the suboxone in to her other meds in a way that won't make her sleepy during the day and wakeful at night. My non-doctor educated guess is that you could carry on with the schedule you've made and then consult with her psychiatrist at her next appointment.

I wish you the best!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a very wild guess as to a possibility.Every time I've sobered up...which is to say every time I've accepted that I can't take drugs or drink alcohol, it was by means of a sudden realization almost instantly followed by depression.

I wonder if something like that could be going on with your daughter. In someone presumably already showing some signs of clinical depression (you mentioned depression as one of her symptoms), I imagine this could make things temporatily worse.

If the subs really were making her tired, I don't see right away why they would have the opposite effect at night. But sleeping all day and being unable to sleep at night are both common in depression.

Again, just a wild guess. I wish you and your daughter the best...

Godfrey

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's weird though...she was on Suboxone in the past but didn't have this reaction, she also wasn't on the same pshych meds....im hoping that by not taking them all at the same time she can get back on a somewhat "normal" sleep cycle. She never really had sleep issues before...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please check out my comments on one of my other blogs, about benzos: http://patienttimes.com/twelve-problems-with-benzodiazepines/

Clonazepam (Klonopin) has a very long half-life, causing it to accumulate. Half is metabolized after 3 days, so today's dose is still mostly there tomorrow, then she adds 2 more milligrams-- then that 4 mg is mostly there the next day when she adds 2 more. The result is a high blood level of the drug. She will become somewhat tolerant to it over time, but 2 mg per day is a large dose that will have some degree of sedation associated with it. As I wrote in the post linked above, sleep always becomes a problem eventually with benzos because the person takes a dose at bedtime, and wakes when the blood level starts to fall.

Buprenorphine does not typically cause significant sleepiness after a couple weeks. My advice would be to speak with her psychiatrist-- but I would typically advise a patient to slightly dial back the clonazepam, and take most of that drug late in the day, about 2 hours before bedtime. It will still be there the next day, but she will get better sleep having the highest blood levels at night. If she does dial back the dose, realize that it takes 5-7 days to get to a new stable blood level after a dose change-- so she should make a small change, then wait a week to see how it is working.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, I will talk to her about it...she's been on klonopin for over 2 yrs now so has built up a tolerance already...I'll suggest .05 mg in the morning and the rest later on.
She doesn't see her med doc until the 10th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Random thought I just had..she does have bipolar 2 disorder...maybe a down cycle is the cause?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:51 pm 

If I recall, Bipolar 2 is characterized by periods of depression, but any mania is sub-threshold to true manic episodes. So the depressive episodes are greater in number. She definitely could be in a down-cycle, which would account for the sleep disturbances as well as the excessive sleeping.

Amy