It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and pregnancy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello:

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and been on suboxone before and during the length of my pregnancy. I was given suboxone after 1 yr of being in a pain management program that included taking 6 10 mg of Norco per day along with Xanax and muscle relaxers. I have 6 compressed discs in my neck as well as one in my lumbar from a car accident. Unfortuantely, I have a four year old that I have to take care of and every attempt to come off the hydrocodone was in vain. I solicited the help of the pain management doctor only to receive none. I then looked into alternate means as I had begun to purchase the hydros off the street while my prescription was not fulfilling the need I had for my tolerance level. I took it upon myself to start suboxone treatment. It has saved my life.
However, while I have been obtaining a legal prescription for the suboxone, the suboxone doctor does not know that I am pregnant and my obstetrician doesn't know that I am on suboxone. I am terrified to tell my ob for fear that I will lose my child to
protective services. Also, my boyfriend knew that I was on the meds but he thinks I
have quit. I have tried to wean and quit several times but get tithe point where I cannot care for my daughter. I want to tell the ob
but I am afraid of losing my child and I am afraid that my boyfriend will try to take the new baby from me. He is an upstanding citizen and a counselor. We have fought before over the child and he has threatned. I am also terrified of having trouble w pain control
after my c-section (I have to have one) and afraid my child will have nas.

Please any advice will help. I am fairly educated with a masters in business but this
disease doesn't discriminate. Any help will be appreciated.

Terrified in Texas

Mandie

I have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mandie - welcome to the forum.

I can't imagine how scared you must be with what you are going through right now. It can be hard enough to be honest with our healthcare providers even without the added complication of pregnancy. Most of us have been shamed or stigmatized by our doctors in the past, which can make it hard to come clean.

That said, I think you are going to have to suck it up and tell your doctors what is going on. As far as I know, if you are getting your Suboxone legally there's no way your baby will be taken from you. I don't think it is a good idea for you to taper off the Sub while you're pregnant as that will stress the fetus and could cause harm. It also puts you at risk for relapse, which you surely want to avoid.

Your baby might or might not show signs of NAS - we've had a few moms here deliver babies while on sub and some of them had no problems while others had babies in the NICU for a little while. They all got to take their babies home eventually though. What happens when you deliver has to do with hospital policy and the decisions of your doctors. CPS might also be involved, but as long as you're not taking anything that hasn't been prescribed to you things will be fine.

I understand your concerns about pain control after your delievery as well. This is just another reason why you need to be honest with your doctor about what's going on. That way your Sub doc and your OB can communicate and come up with a plan for how to handle your post-op pain. There are different options for dealing with pain management for Sub patients, but if they don't know then they won't have a plan in place for you.

As far as your boyfriend threatening to take the baby...my first reaction is to say that that is a low-down thing to say to a pregnant mama. I'm sorry you have to deal with that added stress. The thing is that you are doing the RIGHT thing by treating your addiction. Many women have delivered healthy babies while on Sub or even MMT. It would be so much worse for you and your baby if you were still abusing opiates. The fact that you are taking care of your health and treating your addiction is a good thing and not something that you should be shamed or threatened for doing. I'm also pretty sure that as long as you are in treatment and not abusing any drugs or medications, he will not be able to take your baby from you.

I know it won't be easy, but please just try to be as honest as you can with both of your doctors. Tell them why you were afraid to inform them of your situation and find out what you need to to from here on out. If you don't tell them you are certainly running the risk of a far worse outcome. Complications might arise during your C-section or with you or the baby post-delievery and your healthcare providers need to know what meds you are on to be able to treat you correctly.

As a last thought, I'd encourage you to email Dr. Junig - I think you can find his email on his blog. He's the admin here and he might be able to give you some advice. I think he has also written some posts about pregnancy and Suboxone or Subutex that you might find to be worth reading.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you'll come back to let us know how things are going. Keep in mind that you are not harming your baby by taking Sub, it has been shown to be safe to take during pregnancy. You're in a tough spot but it's nothing that can't be worked out. Take care.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello! I am 37 weeks pregnant and have been on 2mgs subutex my entire pregnancy. Since I haven't delivered yet I can't share my personal story about that. I just want you to know that you should tell your OB. When you do this is what might happen. They will automatically start drug testing you at every visit. Although this seems like an invasion of privacy you actually want this to be able to later PROVE that you did not do drugs during your pregnancy. Depending on the state you live in they may have to call a social worker for when you deliver. But as long as you do not do any illegal drugs while pregnant the social worker will have to close the case. I know this all sounds extremely scary but it is much better for your doctors to know now than for them to find out about it later. I think just lying about medications that you are on would be grounds for CPS to open a case. As for your boyfriend/husband, I have no idea what you should do with that. My advice would be to be open with him also since you should really tell your doctors, and he will most likely find out anyway. I hope he is understanding. I would be terrified if I were you also, not only are you going to have to battle with CPS you will have to battle against the father of the baby also.

If you have any questions you can message me. My pregnancy has been perfect the entire time, I have experienced zero problems from taking sub while pregnant. I get regular ultrasound scans to check on the baby and he has always been perfect. When I have him I am going to come on this site and post my birth story and everything that happens. I hope its a positive one that will ease peoples minds. I have read good and bad experiences on this site. I think it all depends on your state and also your personal situation and if you have actually used or not during pregnancy, which neither of us have so that works highly in our favor. Good luck. xx

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3