It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, but not new to the recovery process. I do have some questions.

My understanding was, as of a few years ago, doctors would not keep their Suboxone patients on Suboxone while pregnant because there wasn't conclusive research that it was safe. If I remember correctly, some patients were maintained on Subutex, but most were referred to methadone clinics. (Again,this might be really outdated information.)

I am on Suboxone (not sure how long I'll be staying on, I posted my situation in other forums) and was previously planning on getting pregnant probably within the next like six months or so.

So here are my questions:

-Are people finding that their doctors will maintain them on Suboxone/Subutex while pregnant?

-Do babies born to mothers maintained on buprenorphine go through withdrawals, similar to methadone?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, most doctors, from what I hear, keep people on buprenorphine (either Suboxone or plain buprenorphine---- Subutex is not made any longer). I've always found the change to buprenorphine, to avoid the naloxone in Suboxone, to be a bit silly; naloxone has no known toxicity to pregnant woment, and a very small fraction of a dose makes it into the maternal bloodstream (and much less into the fetal circulation). Yet people say 'why expose the fetus to an extra drug, naloxone, when it isn't necessary to the actions of Suboxone/buprenorphine?' My argument is, 'then why expose ANYONE to an extra drug?'

I've had pregnant patients change to buprenorphine, and others who stayed on Suboxone. Sometimes by the time a woman knows she is pregnant, she is close to the end of the first trimester, after the major organ systems are past the point where medications can cause problems. But again, there are no known problems from naloxone during pregnancy.

The standard of care used to be to put women on methadone. That has changed. A couple studies examined the incidence and severity of neonatal abstinence syndrome, and found that the babies on the buprenorphine group has lower risk of symptoms (about half of the buprenorphine babies showed symptoms, whereas almost all of the methadone infants showed signs of neonatal abstinence syndrome).

I have a number of posts on my blog, about pregnancy and buprenorphine.... go to http://www.suboxsearch.com and search the 'blog' for 'pregnancy'-- or search the 'forum' and find comments by a number of people who have been through the experience.

Good luck!