It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font] so i had gall bladder surgery yesterday. Ive been on 8mg of suboxone twice a day for 2 years (the films). The surgeon i had said to take tye suboxone WITH the percocet and the tramadal and tue anethestologist said ABSOLUTELY NOT. My discharge orders sqid to take them togetherbas well, but im scared its going to make me sick. The percs arents really doing anything for me anyway. The last time i dosed was sunday morning. When can i take my subs again, and can i take them wiith the tramadol or the percs, or both? Or neither? Im so confused.

Ps- i did put a call into my sub dr but he hasnt gotten back to me yet, and its really starting to hurt. Someone please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

First of all here is a couple things you need to know~

•The buprenorphine in suboxone binds very tightly to your opiate receptors so if you take it along with other opiates it has a blocking effect so the other opiates can't occupy any receptors because the suboxone is already there. Therefore rendering them useless. Which is why your oxycodone is not working.

•Most people are told to taper down to somewhere around 4 mg and then stop taking their suboxone four days before surgery specifically for that reason.

•Even the people who do stop taking it before surgery are going to need a higher than usual dose because suboxone gives you a high tolerance to opiates.

Im sorry you're having pain from your surgery! It sounds like you weren't properly educated by your doctors about the best way to take your suboxone before surgery and after. If you stop taking your suboxone now you should be able to get pain relief from your oxycodone in a couple of days depending on what strength you were given. I have also heard of people staying on a low dose of their suboxone like 2mg along with their post surgical opiates.

If you read through some of the posts in the surgery on suboxone section of this forum you will get a good Idea of what other did to manage their pain.

I would definitely talk to your sub doctor and see what you should do going forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My sub dr told me to stop taking the morning before..no one told me 3 or 4 days before! Everyone has told me something different.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hi gem, sorry for your pain. However, as before i like to send people over to dr junigs talk zone for things like this.go over to the blog here.the is a post called Post op pain in Sub Patients.. You will get great info there on how you can help yourself at this point.hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hi gem, sorry for your pain. However, as before i like to send people over to dr junigs talk zone for things like this.go over to the blog here.the is a post called Post op pain in Sub Patients.. You will get great info there on how you can help yourself at this point.hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, razor! Im new to this forum so im still figuring all this out! My sub dr finally called me back, he said to start my subs again immediantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for sharing that! I wish i read it before my surgery.... My docs didnt do Any of that