It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone and opiates
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my friend has a suboxone prescription and uses it when he doesnt have his drug of choice. he says that he can take suboxone and then use his DOC for the next two weeks and feel the full effect. I thought suboxone blocked the opiate receptors for awhile. I thought he would have to wait atleast 4 or 5 days before he could use his DOC to feel it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unfortunately, your friend is not the only one who uses sub in between bouts of active addiction. The reason they can feel the full effect of the full agonists is because they only take the suboxone sporadically. There isn't enough bupe built up in their system to fully block the opiates. A person who is on sub maintenance wouldn't experience the same thing.

We've discussed this before and how it just plain sucks when people do that, because it causes or contributes to the stigma attached to being on bupe. Shit like that can ruin it for the rest of us who take sub as prescribed.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

someone who is on maitenance would have to be in withdrawal for a couple days to feel another opiate right? or would that just stop the withdrawal? it doesnt make sense to me how our opiate receptors work.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

everyones different but from what i gather you would have to be sub free for at least a couple days before you would feel any affects. i used to know a girl who was in a program for subs and she took them for a couple months and decided she wanted to get high, i remember she said she was off of them for over two days and still couldnt feel anything from the opiates she was taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tlongx012 wrote:
someone who is on maitenance would have to be in withdrawal for a couple days to feel another opiate right? or would that just stop the withdrawal? it doesnt make sense to me how our opiate receptors work.

Hey tlong: Withdrawal has nothing to do with being able to "feel" regular opiates. For people who have been on sub/bupe maintenance, it can take a while to get the effect of a "regular" opiate (full agonist) (whether that be getting pain relief or feeling high). Some say up to weeks, depending on how long they've been taking sub/bupe and their dosage.

Suboxone has a great affinity for occupying the opiate receptors. It hangs on "tight" so to speak as well as builds the person's tolerance (it's very strong), thus not allowing full agonists to get to those receptors.

I hope this answered your question...If not, just let us know and I'll try to clarify further.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a direct example of how strong suboxone is and how long it keeps blocking other opiates:

Last year, when I had my liver biopsy, they first attempted to do it by giving me a high dose of Fentanyl, which, for most people, would have been more than enough to put them in "la la land" It should have caused me to be almost asleep, but it did nothing to me and I mean NOTHING.

I remember watching the nurse add the stuff to my IV and the doctor was looking at me, and then he looked back at the IV and then back at me, and he said, "how do you feel?" And I said, "I didn't even fell that, so you're either going to have to give me more, or we're going to have to abort this and get an anesthesiologist in here to knock me out."

The doctor, who was a young intern, was astonished. He had never heard of suboxone before, but had been told I was on it and that it could significantly reduce the impact of the Fentanyl, so he had agreed to give me more than what they typically administer for the biopsy procedure, in the hopes that it wouldn't knock me completely out, because you are supposed to be awake for a liver biopsy.

They ended up aborting the procedure and I went back a few weeks later to have it done under general anesthesia.

Now, here's the kicker: At the time of the first (aborted) procedure, I was taking 6mg of suboxone. I had stopped taking it 3 days prior to the procedure. That's right, folks, 3 days prior. I had not had any suboxone at all for 72 hours. NONE.

And the Fentanyl was completely useless. It had zero impact on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Junkie781...do you happen to know how much fentanyl they gave you at that time? it would be interesting to know how much they tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh man, like Hatmaker, I gotta say that it really irritates me as well when people use Sub like that. It is absolutely not at all a rare thing either. When I was going to meetings regularly, I was hit up a bunch of times by people who had gone out and hadn't been around in forever, yet they still had my ## and wanted some Sub while they took a 'break' from their Oxy or because they ran out and didn't want to get sick. There are quite a few people who do that. They go on binges and then buy Sub illegally while they rest up and get a nice break, and then they go right back. It used to really, really bug me to be asked for meds by people who were openly planning on using them temporarily before going right back to the real stuff. BTW, I didn't go along with it.

Junkie, that is so much like what happened to me after my c-section, except I'd been off Sub for nearly a week!! And before that, I was taking 3 mg. The nurse just kept on giving me shots of Fentanyl and staring at me to see what effect it had, and there was nothing. She was really shocked and had to keep asking the doctor for permission/advice on giving me more. She couldn't believe my eyes looked fine, I was completely alert, and I was still in pain!! I know she kept giving it to me every 10 minutes for a long time and I never felt fuzzy from it, although it did eventually alleviate the pain. Once I got through all those shots of Fentanyl, the regular Dilaudid drip DID work just fine, so I guess the Fentanyl successfully knocked all the Sub off. I still didn't feel fuzzy from the drip, but I think that's the point. It was simply remarkable to me that I could take that much Fentanyl after a week off Sub and be fine.

laddertipper