It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:49 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My husband and I met through some mutual "friends" back when we were "using." We partied a time or two in the beginning but realized that when we had each other life wasn't miserable anymore, thus making the need for pain pills virtually disappear. It was really weird snorting a pain pill and really not feeling any different, but my misery was basically gone. So in the beginning of our relationship we decided that we didn't want pills or those people anymore. Subs were our safety net. One year later, he is in at the sub doc and we are married and expecting our first child. We have no association anymore with past "friends." We actually have a few posessions and hobbies. LIFE IS GRRRREAT! Thank you Suboxone for making me a human being that deserves oxygen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

~~~~WELCOME BACK~~~~

I remember your posts from a while back......I'm very happy to hear things are going so well for you
guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes it is GREAT to have posessions and a PLACE to come home to, huh???
weird, but GREAT.........

It's even MORE foreign to be able to buy Christmas gifts!!!!
at least it is for ME :shock:

Well keep on truckin'
It sounds like your doing awesome, and your right where you need to be!!

good luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yes affording Christmas is WONDERFUL!! LOL Thank you so much for all the time you spend relating to me and others here on this great forum. You are so kind and helpful. :) My fingers are crossed and praying we deliver a happy healthy baby this year!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 pm 

I wish you well on your pregnancy and congratulations on your first baby! When are you due? It's absolutely fantastic that meeting and falling in love gave you the power to quit abusing drugs! Suboxone can be such a great tool and I'm glad you found it.

I love it when people take time to recognize Amber! She is a wonderful asset to our forum. She honestly cares about people and finds lots of ways to help. Thank you for pointing her out!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's GREAT to hear from you!!! 8)

AND congrats on the baby!!!!!

have you read THIS article of Dr. J's yet?

And thanks so much for the kind words....
I like doing positive things, to "counter-act" all the negative things I once did!!!

Withdrawal in newborns: Lay off the guilt trip!!

by J T Junig on 2010/02/01

I will share some thoughts that I left at a discussion at a ‘linked in’ group about addiction. I was responding to someone who was equating addiction and physical dependence in a baby born to an opiate-addicted mother. My feeling is that such women are given way too much of an attitude by the nurses and others who care for them, and that was the motivation behind my response. Read on:

There are many differences between physiological dependence and addiction to substances. For example, people who take effexor are dependent– and will have significant discontinuation-emergent side effects– but they are not ‘addicted’, which consists of a mental obsession for a substance. The same is true of beta-blockes, in that discontinuation results in rebound hypertension, but there is no craving for propranololol when it is stopped abruptly.

We have no idea of the ‘cravings’ experienced by a newborn, but I cannot imagine a newborn having the cortical connections required to experience anything akin to the ‘cravings’ experienced by opiate addicts, which consist of memories of using and positive reinforcement of behavior—things that are NOT part of the experience ‘in utero’.
It is also important to realize that the withdrawal experienced by addicts consists of little actual ‘pain’ (I’ve been there—I know). Addicts talk about this subject often, as in ‘why do we hate withdrawal so much?’ It is not physical pain, but rather the discomfort of involuntary movements of the limbs , depression, and very severe shame and guilt. The NORMAL newborn already HAS such involuntary movements as the result of incomplete myelination of spinal nerve tracts and immature basal ganglia and cerebellar function in the brain. And the worst part of withdrawal—the shame and guilt and hopelessness—are not experienced in the same degree in a baby who has no understanding of the stigma of addiction!

Finally, if we look at the ‘misery’ experienced by a newborn, we should compare it to the misery experienced by being a newborn in general. I doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed so hard that it changes shape—yet nobody gets real excited about THAT discomfort—at least not from the baby’s perspective! I also doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed by a pair of forceps, and then be pulled by the head through the birth canal! Many hospitals still do circumcisions without local, instead just tying down the limbs and cutting. Babies having surgery for pyloric stenosis are often intubated ‘awake’, as the standard of care– which anyone who understands intubation knows is not a pleasant experience. And up until a couple decades ago—i.e. the 1980s (!), babies had surgery on the heart, including splitting open the sternum or breaking ribs, with a paralytic agent only, as the belief was that a baby with a heart defect wouldn’t tolerate narcotics or anesthetic. I don’t like making a baby experience the heightened autonomic activity that can be associated with abstinence syndrome, but compared to other elements of the birth experience, I know which I would choose!

My points are twofold, and are not intended to encourage more births of physiogically-dependent babies. But everyone in the field should be aware of the very clear difference between physiological dependence and addiction, as the difference is a basic principle that is not a matter of opinion—but rather the need to get one’s definitions right. Second, the cycle of addiction and shame has been well established, and there is already plenty of shame inside of most addicted mothers. If there are ten babies screaming loudly, only the whimper from the ‘addict baby’ elicits the ‘tsk tsk’ of the nurses and breast feeding consultants. My first child was born to a healthy mom years before my own opiate dependence, and he never took to breast feeding; he his mother been an addict, his trouble surely would have been blamed on ‘addiction’ or ‘withdrawal’. Unfortunately even medical people see what they want to see—and sometimes that view needs to be checked for bias due to undeserved stigma—for EVERYONE’S good, baby included
Read more at http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... OTHPJOu.99

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/