It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm recently off of Suboxone and have a few questions regarding use and testosterone. As a quick history, my last does of Suboxone was 7 weeks ago. I started on 4mgs and worked my way down over about a year and a half, usually with a decrease every 3 weeks. My last dose was .125mgs. Also, this wasn't my first time on Suboxone. I'm 42 years old.

So my last blood test was less than a year ago when I tested low for T. I imagined it might be due to Suboxone so I didn't follow up and wanted to wait till I was clean and could get an accurate test.

So my first question would be, do you think I've been clean long enough to get a good test of my T? While I feel better than I did the first three weeks of WD, I'm still not feeling great and I'm worrying about the potential of a low T issue. It's weird, because I've had moments where I feel like I've turned a corner and have energy and strength, then a day comes where I crash and I'm out of it for a couple of days. So it's hard to gauge what is going on. As for libido, I did suffer low libido while on Suboxone which has improved since stopping however I don't think it's fully returned...it's a bit up and down. And again, hard to gauge whether it's still the result of the Suboxone or this underlying low T issue.

I'd also love to hear some more general feedback from anyone who has had low T as a result of Suboxone use. How low, how long, did it return to normal, did you have to undergo treatment, etc? Any feedback to help me understand this would be useful.

Thanks to anyone who might shed some light on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My methadone doctor told me that low testosterone is associated with methadone (maybe other opiates too?) and sure enough, I tested 'low normal.' I've been using Testosterone gel for about a year, and it's made a huge diff in terms of energy levels.

Your doctor can tell you the best time to take the blood test.

-- JI

arvee wrote:
I'm recently off of Suboxone and have a few questions regarding use and testosterone. As a quick history, my last does of Suboxone was 7 weeks ago. I started on 4mgs and worked my way down over about a year and a half, usually with a decrease every 3 weeks. My last dose was .125mgs. Also, this wasn't my first time on Suboxone. I'm 42 years old.

So my last blood test was less than a year ago when I tested low for T. I imagined it might be due to Suboxone so I didn't follow up and wanted to wait till I was clean and could get an accurate test.

So my first question would be, do you think I've been clean long enough to get a good test of my T? While I feel better than I did the first three weeks of WD, I'm still not feeling great and I'm worrying about the potential of a low T issue. It's weird, because I've had moments where I feel like I've turned a corner and have energy and strength, then a day comes where I crash and I'm out of it for a couple of days. So it's hard to gauge what is going on. As for libido, I did suffer low libido while on Suboxone which has improved since stopping however I don't think it's fully returned...it's a bit up and down. And again, hard to gauge whether it's still the result of the Suboxone or this underlying low T issue.

I'd also love to hear some more general feedback from anyone who has had low T as a result of Suboxone use. How low, how long, did it return to normal, did you have to undergo treatment, etc? Any feedback to help me understand this would be useful.

Thanks to anyone who might shed some light on this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks Johnny. Thing is I'm looking to go to an Endocrinologist and I doubt their knowledge of Suboxone and how it affects the system...not a lot of Drs have experience with it. I'm not sure I want to mention it at all however I probably will to be as thorough as possible.

So are you saying you're taking T and are still on Methadone? Or you've continued to have low T even after stopping Methadone?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Arvee, yes I'm off methadone (and just getting ready to get off Suboxone), and am still on Testosterone.

Getting a blood test this week to see where my T level is at.

-- JI

arvee wrote:
So are you saying you're taking T and are still on Methadone? Or you've continued to have low T even after stopping Methadone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm 

This subject has been discussed many times and the results are the same. Opiate use causes low T. Buprenorphine, the main ingredient in Suboxone is also an opiate so it makes sense that it too causes low T. Use the search function up top to see all the previous threads about this.

Like Johnny did with the gel, I did too. But I have a double hitter. Not only Suboxone is causing low T and a low libido, the Effexor I take is notorious for losing your desire. And I shouldn't even be on the anti-depressant. I started taking it when getting ready to jump from Suboxone a few years ago and haven't been successful in getting off it. I've tried twice and failed. The next time I will do it for sure.

The gel works good though. I hated that underarm stuff, just give me the regular gel. That, or a shot will suffice.

Keep in mind that Suboxone stays in your system for quite a long time so getting tested now may be too early. Give it another month or two and see how you feel. At 42, your libido should be working just fine. At least mine was at that age. Even at 7 weeks your endocrine system should be doing a lot better now. I'm no doctor but I know how opiates and other drugs affect me. That was always the one benefit to stopping pain pills back then. After a week our sex life took off like a teenager. For me anyways.

Have no fear, it will return and you'll be right where you're supposed to be at your age.

r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, basically what Rule said, although I decided to go onto Testosterone because of a lack of energy generally, not specifically because of a low sex drive. Though no complaints at all about a restored sex drive.

Later this month, I want to change from Testim (a clear gel) to Androgel. I find I get a little zitty from Testim near where I apply it (though that may be from going to the gym, too). Much less Androgel is needed, for a given dose level, and I think that will be more convenient (have to wait 20 min for Testim to dry before getting dressed).

Also, Androgel is about half the price of Testim, and I'm not on a drug plan presently.

-- JI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks Rule, I'll do more searching on the topic.

I figure my levels should be returning by now, and I am feeling a bit more normal though not fully. I'll wait a bit so I can trust whatever the numbers say. It's crazy how long Suboxone stays in your system and continues to affect you. Heroin seems to leave your system rather quickly.

So are you currently on Suboxone and taking T? Or did you stop taking T when you quit Suboxone?

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Currently taking T, almost done taking S (I expect to be off it sometime next week).

T is very hard to come off btw; I have a friend who stopped taking T suddenly, and he felt physically run into the ground for a long time, I could tell that he was really dragging his feet. Once my pharmacy was out of it when I needed refills, and I had to wait 5 days. By the 5th day, I could really feel a lack of energy.

I think that coming off T is a long term project, under the supervision of a doctor specializing in male stuff. You come off of it very gradually, and start doing things to get your body producing T naturally again.

-- JI