It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and Klonopin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

The first two times I was on Suboxone I was also taking, amongst other things, 1-2mgs of Klonopin a day. The doctors were aware I was taking that, didn't say boo, and said it may help with w/d discomfort.

The doctor I am seeing now had me sign a sort of Klonopin waiver stating that I was aware that mixing Suboxone and Klonopin could be deadly and I wouldn't do it. I told him I had taken both before and he said I was required to sign it but more then likely nothing would happen to me if I took both because I wasn't abusing them.

Then I started reading all this bad stuff about mixing the two. WTF???? Was I imagining this? Why was I allowed to do it before with no warning or consequence?

Anyone ever had issues taking both? I helped me greatly when I was coming off Suboxone last time and it also helped my nerves and sleeplessness.

Your thoughts? Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone doctors know they are not allowed to prescribe any type of benzo with suboxone due to respitory distress. I was on Klonipin before I went on suboxone ....my doctor said that was fine but I would have to get that script from my primary care doc because he would get in trouble for writing the prescription. He did of course say make sure your primary knows your on suboxone. It definitely is not recommended because despite what some people say..........they do abuse it...it is a narcotic and you have to be very careful about using them together but th same could be said for mixing suboxon with alcohol. If you continue to use Klonipin please use caution and do not abuse it. I am not a doctor just an addict. Hope this helps.....

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the words Jim...

My sub doc would definitely not prescribe me Klonopin but I didn't even ask. I stopped them the same time I was going through w/d for the pain killers because I didn't think I would know the difference with the w/d's. And I didn't. I am glad I am off the Klonopin but at the same time I could really use it to calm my nerves and help me sleep. I have in the past taken more then I should have but I do know that if I took them with subs that I would never take it outside of the doc's recommendation.

I am sure I am better off not going back to them because I have heard that you have really bad w/d's from them and I really don't want to have that experience again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My Suboxone doctor prescribed Klonopin to me while I was on Suboxone. I'd already been on the Klonopin for years, though I took it pretty rarely. My scrip was for 30 1mg pills per month but I filled it like once every 90 days.

My doctor told me that the real concern with mixing benzos and buprenorphine is with people who are injecting the two drugs together. I guess when you IV bupe with a benzo it produces a more heroin-like high and this practice has become a real problem in some areas. Besides that, there have also been problems with people mixing benzos, bupe and alcohol - which can also be deadly. He assured me that when taken responsibly there was no problem with it.

I was also in the clinical trial for Probuphine (the buprenorphine implant) and the doctor running the study as well as the main people overseeing the whole thing ok'd my use of Klonopin while I was in the study, and they also told me that the main concern was over people IVing benzos.

-Jack Kornfield