It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been on subs for about 8 months. The constipation has been there all 8 months, a bit better now. Dry eyes were horrible for awhile until I got some crazy drops that helped and now I am fine. But I've been experiencing joing pain that I've never had before. First noticed that when I squatted down to grab something, my knee's hurt. I almost felt like my knees were gonna pop or something. And I've never had any issue with my knee's or pain while squatting or bending. And I would also get pain in my knees in the middle of the night. I like to sleep on my sides and I would wake up with this excruciating pain in my knees and I would have to stretch for awhile or get up slowly and walk around. Then I started feeling it in my hips (the sides of my hips). This only happened at night and it felt the same as the knee's. The pain is so intense. The only good thing is it does go away then I get up and move around or stretch for awhile. It's weird that it only happens at night. It's almost like my body doesn't like my legs bent while I sleep on my side and the pain settles in big time. If I bring this up to my doc he just says that he's never heard of subs causing pain like this. ALL docs say this. Every symptom I've had while on subs the doc says this. So I was wondering if anyone out there is experiencing joint pains and especially at night while asleep. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So you've been on suboxone for 8 months and now you are experiencing what sounds like pretty severe joint pain. I doubt if you've been on sub that long that a side effect would come out now after having been on it so long.

Suboxone has some pretty typical side effects: sexual side effects, sweating, constipation, but some people do have unique side effects. Just like any other medication, anyone can pretty much have any side effect to any of them. But looking at it, how would an opiate affect one's joints? That's the question.

But let's for a second assume it IS a side effect: Your best bet is to try to reduce your dose. Most people have luck getting reduction of their negative side effects by reducing their dose.

Having said all that, it's my opinion that it sounds more to me like something else could be going on. Remember that when we're hooked on pain pills, often they will cover up some condition or injury and once off them, those conditions/injuries might become more conspicuous. I'd rule anything else out first by seeing a doctor and/or rheumatologist.

I hope this helps. Let us know if/when you figure this out. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify that I am not just now after 8 months experiencing joint pain. Started feeling knee pain about a month into taking it. Noticed that I couldn't squat down without feeling like my knees were gonna pop and give out which is completely abnormal for me. Then I started noticing the pain would come at night and started to happen in my hips too. Just lately I've been having occasional joint pain in my hands. I understand the idea of taking pain meds and "masking" underlying conditions yet Suboxone itself is a POWERFUL opiate and would technically be masking the pain the same as OC's, vics, norc etc. So that wouldn't explain it. But I will get checked out soon regardless to see if something else is going on. Thanks for the response again and I'll update when and if I figure something out.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Joint Pain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Could it be though what Hat eluded to and the drugs you took prior to Suboxone mask the symptoms and now with Sub's the mask is uncovered? I have a rare side effect from lortabs. Took me years and years to finally find the connection. The truth became evident in just a year or so ago I took lortab for tooth pain and the same thing happened. When I was abusing hydro and oxy codones my hands would swell and I had joint pain in my fingers and wrist and also my feet the same exact thing. I had several years no codones and then had to take them and with 6 doses which was one day it was there just like all the years I took them. About six months ago had a tooth killing me same thing within one day boom. So there can be occasions where something in you can make this reaction but sore joints I haven't heard from too many sub users. There is always an exception to the rules though. Good Luck maybe try taking and seeing if advil or motrin would help.

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oxy-Ed wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify that I am not just now after 8 months experiencing joint pain. Started feeling knee pain about a month into taking it. Noticed that I couldn't squat down without feeling like my knees were gonna pop and give out which is completely abnormal for me. Then I started noticing the pain would come at night and started to happen in my hips too. Just lately I've been having occasional joint pain in my hands. I understand the idea of taking pain meds and "masking" underlying conditions yet Suboxone itself is a POWERFUL opiate and would technically be masking the pain the same as OC's, vics, norc etc. So that wouldn't explain it. But I will get checked out soon regardless to see if something else is going on. Thanks for the response again and I'll update when and if I figure something out.

The same exact thing is happening with me and I am on about 1 mg daily. Experienced it about 1 month into taking the sub and it hasn't stopped. need to stop taking the sub due to upcoming surgery. Will be interesting to see if the side effects stoop. I am absolutely convinced it IS from the sub.

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joint pain is a symptom of opioid withdrawal. There's this theory that our endogenous / natural opioids have the purpose of inhibiting the natural pain occuring in our bodies all the time. It's kinda like a balancing act. Even when we're healthy, our bodies, esp the parts that experience wear and tear, do feel pain, and it increases as we age... our endogenous opioids balance it out.

It's been found that post-operative pain can be exacerbated by Naloxone, that it causes hyperalgesia ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 62/?page=3 ). This means that Naloxone can exacerbate any areas of our body that are under stress. Naltrexone can do the same. It makes sense that given agonists kill pain, that antagonists will

It may be possible that you may be more sensitive to the antagonist properties of Suboxone (incl naloxone). But this is just a thought / idea that came to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have you had your knees checked out by a dr.? Like hat said, you may have had some knee problems that you did not know about because it was covered up by your using. Maybe you have a knee prob. and it is slowly getting worse? I hope not for you. I would see a dr. and get it checked just to rule it out, then talk to your dr. about lowering your dose to see if it gets better. Then you would know if it is a side effect. Good Luck to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mrssky wrote:
Have you had your knees checked out by a dr.? Like hat said, you may have had some knee problems that you did not know about because it was covered up by your using. Maybe you have a knee prob. and it is slowly getting worse? I hope not for you. I would see a dr. and get it checked just to rule it out, then talk to your dr. about lowering your dose to see if it gets better. Then you would know if it is a side effect. Good Luck to you...

I had a torn meniscus(sp), but it only started out as my knee popping...and the more I worked in the printing press company, crawling around in angle bars and running the web through the press, the worse my knees got with popping. Eventually, about 8 months after it started, it was to the point that I couldn't stand for my knee to pop when I knelt down. It began with me kneeling down and hearing a loud pop, sounded like my leg was breaking...and by 8 months later, it was popping and shifting out of place a little..

When the DR did an MRI, he said I waited WAY too long to come in, and that arthritis had built up in my knee really bad, which he couldn't do anything for. But I also did further damage by waiting...because what started as just a torn meniscus, evolved into a torn meniscus and chondral flap -- the cartilage that protects the end of the joints on both top and bottom had come loose from the top bone, and was sticking strait down. This was the shifting motion I would feel when it popped, and when it DID pop, and I stood up, it was bone on bone grinding until it shifted back. I still have the MRI photo somewhere, you can see it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've noticed that I've been getting knee/joint pain but when I take my next sub dose it goes away

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oxy-Ed wrote:
Been on subs for about 8 months. The constipation has been there all 8 months, a bit better now. Dry eyes were horrible for awhile until I got some crazy drops that helped and now I am fine. But I've been experiencing joing pain that I've never had before. First noticed that when I squatted down to grab something, my knee's hurt. I almost felt like my knees were gonna pop or something. And I've never had any issue with my knee's or pain while squatting or bending. And I would also get pain in my knees in the middle of the night. I like to sleep on my sides and I would wake up with this excruciating pain in my knees and I would have to stretch for awhile or get up slowly and walk around. Then I started feeling it in my hips (the sides of my hips). This only happened at night and it felt the same as the knee's. The pain is so intense. The only good thing is it does go away then I get up and move around or stretch for awhile. It's weird that it only happens at night. It's almost like my body doesn't like my legs bent while I sleep on my side and the pain settles in big time. If I bring this up to my doc he just says that he's never heard of subs causing pain like this. ALL docs say this. Every symptom I've had while on subs the doc says this. So I was wondering if anyone out there is experiencing joint pains and especially at night while asleep. Thanks.

Well, I can officially say as of day 3 off the sub, my edema has gone down in my ankles. I have lost 4 lbs. My ankle pain and hip pain is better. So is the swelling in my hands and joints. Definitley due to the sub. I am not going to tell you I feel great because withdrawal from the sub is another story. Best of luck.

B.K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow. The pain must have been bad, if the pain of withdrawal is relative relief.

Just goes to show that the side-effects of any drug can be unique for each person. Just because it's not documented doesn't mean it's not possible, I spose.

Post subject: Yes!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Wow. The pain must have been bad, if the pain of withdrawal is relative relief.

Just goes to show that the side-effects of any drug can be unique for each person. Just because it's not documented doesn't mean it's not possible, I spose.

Yes. This drug can have some powerful side effects! At least they did for me. I don't have any of those symptoms anymore. One day I couldn't even get my shoes on they were so swollen. My knees and ankles hurt so bad I couldn't go for walks without huge discomfort. The doctor didn't think it was a side effect! (at it was and I knew it). Each of us knows our body well enough if we listen to it. You have to be your own advocate when it comes to putting any medication in your mouth. best of luck and keep us posted. Of course now i am in withdrawals from not taking it but I know that it will get better.

Post subject: Re: Yes!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

u2star wrote:
The doctor didn't think it was a side effect! (at it was and I knew it). Each of us knows our body well enough if we listen to it. You have to be your own advocate when it comes to putting any medication in your mouth.

Yeah that's been my experience as well often. I think doctors are so worried about being sued these days (which is reasonable, really) that they're afraid of admitting to any fault. Plus it's just human to not want to admit to those things.

Post subject: joint pain
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ive been on suboxone for about 6 weeks now and i have severe joint pain especially in the morning. My hands are the worst but it affects almost every joint i have. My elbows and ankles are pretty bad as well. Ive never had them bother me any other time and soon after starting suboxone it was very noticeable. Im pretty sure its no coincidence.

Post subject: aching cankles
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm not normally a big joiner, but this post really resonated with me.

I stopped opiate use around Thanksgiving and started taking Sub. a month later in early January. Two months later, steadily my feet/ankles swelled, maybe my fingers too. My shoes aren't fitting and my wedding ring is super tight. I have also gained weight. My joints ache pretty badly. I started practicing yoga during this time and initially chalked-up the pain to that and the swelling to who knows? I've come to the conclusion that it is a side effect. I'm afraid to lower the Sub. 'cause I'm afraid I won't have anything to treat the pain that got me into pain killer addiction. Aargh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi princess and welcome. I take sub for pain, too. Let us know what dose you're on and how often you dose and perhaps we can help you or make some suggestions about dosing to where you might be able to lower your dose and still get effective pain relief.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've had the exact same thing going on with my knees - the pain is now in my wrists and my right shoulder - I've been taking it for 5 months and the joint pain started a few weeks into it- I've already been checked out by several doctors- they don't know why - they just said I need physical therapy- I've told my Suboxone doctor and she acts like it's nothing. Very frustrating- I'm only 31 but I feel 70. I'm on 8mg of the film.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:05 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oxy-Ed wrote:
Been on subs for about 8 months. The constipation has been there all 8 months, a bit better now. Dry eyes were horrible for awhile until I got some crazy drops that helped and now I am fine. But I've been experiencing joing pain that I've never had before. First noticed that when I squatted down to grab something, my knee's hurt. I almost felt like my knees were gonna pop or something. And I've never had any issue with my knee's or pain while squatting or bending. A .

I'm experiencing the very same thing! (on for about 3 months now, its not as intense as your joint pain, but I have the stiff, achy knees, not able to squat down. I'm also feeling like my knees could pop whenever I get low or squat to get something off a bottom shelf at the store for example.

I don't want to blame all my bodily changes on sub, but I've never had any joint pain unless I was in withdrawal. Now it seems to have popped up with a out of nowhere. I also have some foot swelling, and numb hands in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:36 pm 

I had joint pain in my knees and hips while I was on a steady dose of 16 mg. Since then I've done a long, slow taper and I now take 2 mg. The pain in my joints went away at 6 mg. Try dropping to 6 mg and see if that helps.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Oxy-Ed wrote:

To oxy-ed I have been on suboxone for 6 months and I have all the same pains as you. It happens a lot at night but if I have my legs stretched for too long the pain happen so badly in my knees. My doctor works here in Las Vegas and he told me that is absolutely a side affect but as you ween off it won't happen as often. I know how you feel those pains sometimes especially in the knees really suck.