It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and Iodine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking suboxone for 4 months and so far it is working great. The other day i started taking iodine supplement and all the sudden I am having to take more suboxone to keep me from having hard cravings. I quit the iodine yesterday but am still having this problem. Does anyone have any insight as to why this may have happened? I can't find any info online in regards to suboxone and Iodine interaction.

Post subject: Re: Suboxone and Iodine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Iodine is important primarily for thyroid function. Was there a reason you took iodine? Most modern diets have plenty of iodine, unlike 100 years ago when people would occasionally develop 'goiters' from iodine deficiency. I can't imagine a reason for iodine to have any effect, just because people generally have all the iodine they need, without supplementation.

A psychiatrist, though, would look at it like this: you must have taken the iodine for some reason-- perhaps you thought your body was missing something? Perhaps whatever it was that led you to seek iodine, also caused you to crave opioids.

For example, many opioid addicts crave opioids when we are sad and depressed. I could see where a person who is sad and depressed may think they need iodine... and then coincidentally start craving opioids as well. And of course if that person stopped the iodine, the cravings would continue-- because they were caused by the original variable, not the iodine.

Just thinking...

Post subject: Re: Suboxone and Iodine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, I was taking the iodine because it was given to me as a "survival shield" product. It was a product from a radio show I was listening to, but I won't make that mistake again. I think possibly the iodine changed the way I metabolized the suboxone. That is the only thing I can think of. I am three days off the iodine and the medicine is working fine again. :mrgreen: