It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Very happy to report that my re induction back onto suboxone went as well as Rule62 predicted it would.
Brief synopsis - began weaning late March from 3mg/day suboxone to 1mg before surgery 5/29. 3 days before surgery, took last 0.5 mg dose. Did this so I would have good pain control and non stressed anesthesiologists and nurses.
I was given a spinal injection of Duramorph, a long acting morphine, just before they put me to sleep. That made me very close to pain free (2-3 on the 0-10 scale) for about 30 hours after surgery. In hospital about 28 hours total.
Post hospital pain control was with Motrin 800 every 8 hours and every 4 hour 10mg percocet - script said 1-2. Most I ever took was 15 mg at a time. Had very good pain control, I don't think I ever got above a 6. Also used walking, position changes, Gas-X for gas pains, and heat and cold and a belly binder.
My plan all along was to return to suboxone once the surgical pain was well controlled. After reading here and talking with Dr Junig, we decided today would be the switch back. I had noticed that I got mild WD's every morning when I awoke, about 9-11 hours after my last dose of percocet.
So Thursday evening I took the last 10 mg percocet and went to sleep. Awoke w no WD's, but was up at 0630 :lol:. Began feeling WD's around 9am- nose running like a faucet, eyes tearing, goosebumps, restless legs and diarrhea. Added up to a COWS of 9 by 11 am. My goal was to get as far out from the last dose as I could. By 2pm, I was up to a COWS of 15, and remembering Rule62's words, I took 2 mg. The WD's stopped within 40 minutes, and by 90 minutes I was feeling high. Didn't expect that! :shock:
On my wean before surgery I had been stable at 1mg for 2 weeks, but with mild WD's every day before my dose. I think 1.5 mg will be the best dose for me, so to that end I'll take 1 mg at 2pm tomorrow. Will see how that goes, and hope to be stable early next week. I take my dose right after work each day, around 4-5 p, so I'll move the dose time back to then too.
THANK YOU for all who have commented on my various threads - each one of you has helped me reach this goal of getting through surgery with minimal pain, and getting stabilized back on 1.5 to 1 mg. Long range plan is next spring, after I'm fully healed and it's spring again, to work to wean off suboxone. It has been a wonderful tool that has saved my life, marriage, kids, job and profession. But I'd like to be drug free again; I've been using suboxone for 4-5 years.
I hope that my lengthy posts will help another woman facing hysterectomy or any pelvic/abdominal surgery.

Post subject: A Little Late
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 pm 

Sorry for not responding earlier, this post flew under my radar.

That is so good how it turned out for you with the surgery. And yes, I too hope this thread may help someone later on. Your surgery sure went better than mine. With the pain I had though I'm not sure if anything would have helped.

Make sure you let us all know when you plan to taper and stop the Suboxone. Don't even attempt it unless you know fully inside that you are ready to be free of it. A good recovery plan must be in order for you to succeed. So many others have suffered needlessly, only to return to Suboxone again. Why go through so much if you're not 100% sure. Those who did succeed knew deep down that it was time.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, Rule62, I was hoping you'd see this and comment.
My current plan is to wait approximately a year before considering attempting to wean off suboxone. First to give my body its well deserved physical recovery time. I was worried in switching back to subs, what if I have increased pain or a late complication? Happily neither has happened thank God. I have been told by reliable sources to expect at least 6 months and possibly a year of physical healing. Happily since I'm nearly 60 I don't have to deal with the hormone shenanigans that younger women have to.
My suboxone doc is content to have me take the medicine for the rest of my life. He was my psychiatrist when my addict world came crashing in, when I lost my job, my house, my driver license; nearly lost my kids, my nursing license and avoided prison by the skin of my teeth.
Because suboxone plus a solid 9 years of 12 step recovery have given me the amazing life I have, I'm really in no rush to stop. I would like to experience life without the yoke of an addictive drug, but I recognize the blessings suboxone has given me.
So if I decide to come off, it will be spring of 2014. I have done my major weans (8 to 4mg; 4-3mg and the recent 3 to 1.5mg) in the spring. My mood is naturally good then, and it's easier to tolerate discomfort when I can be outside.
All that said, I was pleasantly surprised by how minimal my WD's were; even the 3 days without suboxone prior to surgery. No nausea or vomiting, just RLS from hell, diarrhea, anxiety, crawly skin, runny nose (holy cow, I got a sore under my nostrils from the amazing runny nose!) and I could NOT stop yawning.
I have no illusions that stopping suboxone, should I decide to do it, will be as easy as the wean was. I must be fully emotionally prepared and ready to put up with unpleasantness and PAWS. When I quit my IV morphine habit, it was 6 months before I slept more than 2 hours in a row. And I was on a natural high of having avoided prison and the pink cloud of early 12 step recovery! I know I will reincorporate 12 step recovery back into my life as I come off suboxone - the love and support and constant contact with my Higher Power will be necessary tools inn order to get completely clear of Suboxone.
Rule and Amy and Beautiful Disaster and Queen (I KNOW I'm forgetting people, please forgive me) THANK YOU for your help on this road. Dr J, a special thanks to you :D . I will be lurking around the forums trying to pay back the help I've been given here.