It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and Euphoria
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I really started relying on suboxone for not online abstaining from drugs but for the euphoric feeling it gave me. It was almost like being high but not quite. Like I would need to plan to take it right before work just so I could have the euphoric outgoing state. When it wore off I took a little more. I was prescribed it and everything. I am just thinking it may have a big impact since I stopped it on my social skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi formoso. first". why were you even prescribed suboxone. and why use it for social skill's. why are you stopping it? what's your story? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How long have you been on suboxone? What dose do you take? I'm guessing you're aware that although you are prescribed sub, you're still showing major signs of active addiction. Like johnboy said, maybe you can share more of your story with us. When we take suboxone as prescribed, it's nearly impossible to get any euphoria, unless one just started it, is opiate-naive, or is on an extremely low dose for maintenance.

I'll leave it at that for now until we hear more about you/your story.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 am 
Hello formoso. You said you wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with their Suboxone as you have. Based upon the small amount of information you gave in your post.....I'd say that Yes, there have been others who have found themselves (more or less) using Suboxone in a manner that is not exactly what it's designed for.
Again, based on the minimal information you've given here, it sounds like you may have just sort of traded addictions, so to speak.
The thing is, for me personally, I just don't get the whole "euphoria" or whatever you call it, from Sub! I know others have described similar feelings with it, quite a few have actually. But I just haven't ever gotten it. It's never made me feel euphoric, happy, more social, more energetic, zip, nada, nothing. I'm actually quite grateful for that! That makes it so that when I do quit Sub, I won't be "missing" any sort of feeling, etc!
Sorry, back to you. Please give us a little more of your history so we can be of more help to you. But it sounds like you do need some additional help with your recovery. I'm curious to know how much Sub you were taking each day, when you stopped it and at what dose and how you're feeling now. If you're struggling with "social skills" since coming off of it, it may just take a little more time for you to get back to normal.
Honestly though, it sounds like you need to do some additional recovery work if you've been depending on Sub to get you through your work day or allow you to be more social, etc. I hope you find the help you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was going to wait for Formosa to reply w/more info, but I wanted to chime in with regards to setmefree's post. I think I fall into the category of those who have missused Sub to some extent. But the positive effects that I have experienced from Sub have never been Euphoric. Not even close. I just thought it was important to say that, because those who assume Sub users are "trading addictions" probably think we get the same effect we got from our drug of choice (i.e. euphoria). I don't think I've ever heard a Sub user or abuser use the word euphoric to describe it. Maybe Formosa was just lacking a better word to describe what s/he is experiencing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey formoso

I know when I first got on Suboxone I got "high", but it certainly wasn't a full agonist "high", but it was some kind of "high". It was definitely strongest during the first couple of weeks of use. Even though the high subsided after more time on Suboxone, I almost always was able to "get something" out of it when I took it.

Like you said, I "needed" it in the morning before work. I also took it at lunchtime because I "needed" something before going back to work after lunch, then I would take some in the early evening as a reward for making it through the work day. To this day, I don't know if I was really getting a boost from Suboxone or was the simple fact that I was feeding my addiction/dependence what made me feel like I was getting a boost?? The more I think about this, the more I think my "boost" was probably 80% placebo effect and maybe 20% feeling the Suboxone??

Like you, since quitting Suboxone, my social skills SUCK!!! They suck particulary hard when I'm in a face to face situation. I remember I would load up on Suboxone before I had to go somehwere, then I was OK. But I still have to wonder, how much of that was a placebo effect??

Either way, I know Suboxone saved me from a life of active opiate addiction. I had tried to quit opiates several times and NEVER could do it, but I managed to quit Suboxone.