It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Alright so I have now been on suboxone for about 8 months now. I have been taking 16 mg which I know is way too much, and right now I'm starting to taper off. I plan on getting drunk this weekend and I wanted to know how much alcohol is too much when you're on suboxone. And would it make it less dangerous if I don't take my suboxone the day that I drink, or don't take it for the day before and the day that I drink? I don't plan on getting hammered, just tipsy or a little drunk. This will be the first time I drink on suboxone and I want to be safe. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know what deal you have with your prescriber about drinking. Also, realize that there is no magic bullet for alcoholism, as there is for opioid dependence. So if you've been sober from alcohol for a long time, give some serious thought to potentially opening that can of worms.

From a chemical perspective, the effects of drinking while taking buprenorphine or Suboxone mirror the effects of drinking on any other opioid. If you are tolerant to the opioid (or to buprenorphine), alcohol will have effects very similar to in people who are not on opioids. The danger with Suboxone comes in when a person is not TOLERANT to Suboxone combines it with a second respiratory depressant, like alcohol.

Some people on buprenorphine say that alcohol hits them a bit stronger. Some people say that they get a headache or other unpleasant feeling if they drink more than a couple ounces of alcohol.